Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a bit Scared.. :(

Hey All.
    So ill give you a bit of history on me...
    I wore a Boston brace for 5 years and the doctors ended up taking it off because they didnt think it was working... and i wasnt.
    So after my review recently they put me on the waiting list to get the bottom curve fused. im really scared about this. The doctor said that they will go from the side, and they will have to remove a rib, which sounds really strange and painful.
    has anyone else here had the operation that went from the side? and what was it like?
    Thanks for any answers guys =]
    <3 Tayy
    HI! I'm Tayla
    I Wore A Boston Brace For 5Years!
    It Was Taken Off May 10.
    But... After a Review in Nov 10 My Back had got badd!!
    Im Now On The Waiting List For Surgery To Get The Bottom Curve Fused.
    pre surgery:
    51 at the top.
    49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
    S COLIOSIS
    Makes Us Stronger... <3

same here with the bracing but they are not removing a rib for mine. ya it sounds scary, but at preop they will take those fears away, or mostly away.my curves are 66 and 44.dont be scared! they are correcting something that will just get worse over time!

Comment

I didn't have the surgery from the side nor have a rib removed, but I did have a full fusion, top to bottom, 2 rods and 32 screws, last March and I can tell you literally it is the best thing you can do for yourself. It is quite an undertaking - I will not sugar coat anything here. It was tough! 11 hrs in the OR, but I have the best support (family and friends!) a person could have. And, I was determined to get over it and get on with life, so that helped immensely. If you want the best surgery in the world (my opinion here) check into Dr. Lenke in St. Louis. He's the world's best in my book!!! I am a little over a year postop and I can assure you I would never have been able to make a better choice in surgeons. His office staff is the best too! I know there are surgeons out there that are doing the surgery from the side but I haven't heard anything about it really so can't help with that. My curve was 90+ degrees and I was passing out at work from pressure on my heart and lungs so I was about as bad as it could get. I'm down to around 20 deg now. Incredible! Just plain incredible!!! And 2-1/2 inches taller!!!!!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
        I didn't have the surgery from the side nor have a rib removed, but I did have a full fusion, top to bottom, 2 rods and 32 screws, last March and I can tell you literally it is the best thing you can do for yourself. It is quite an undertaking - I will not sugar coat anything here. It was tough! 11 hrs in the OR, but I have the best support (family and friends!) a person could have. And, I was determined to get over it and get on with life, so that helped immensely. If you want the best surgery in the world (my opinion here) check into Dr. Lenke in St. Louis. He's the world's best in my book!!! I am a little over a year postop and I can assure you I would never have been able to make a better choice in surgeons. His office staff is the best too! I know there are surgeons out there that are doing the surgery from the side but I haven't heard anything about it really so can't help with that. My curve was 90+ degrees and I was passing out at work from pressure on my heart and lungs so I was about as bad as it could get. I'm down to around 20 deg now. Incredible! Just plain incredible!!! And 2-1/2 inches taller!!!!!
        Rita, you forgot to mention that Dr. Lenke walks on water! LOL
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
        X