Anterior fusion surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior fusion surgery

I am new to this site and hoping someone can give me some advise on anterior fusion surgery. I have neurofibromatosis and associated kyphoscoliosis. I had posterior fusion surgery from T8-L5 in 2006. In 2008 one of my rods snapped and I had revision surgery, this time inserting 4 rods down my spine instead of 2. The initial surgery was required as along with the kyphoscolosis, I have scalloping of the vertebrae in my lower spine where some of the vertebrate are a 1/3 of the width they should be. This resulted in me fracturing my spine and requiring surgery a, to correct the curvature and b, to strengthen my spine that was weakened due to the scalloping. During the second surgery I also had a bone graft using an artificial bone substance spread over the weakened part of my spine. After over a years wait I have finally been approved to have anterior surgery to have a bone graft down the front section of my spine. Has anyone else had both posterior and anterior fusion? I remember how painful the posterior surgeries were and would like to know whether anterior surgery is better or worse! I am assuming the incision will be worse as I have (a lot) more flesh on my stomach than on my back. I am also worried about the actual procedure as I am told it will involve moving around internal organs, removing ribs etc. I will get more info from my surgeon prior to the surgery but would like info (good and bad) form someone who has actually experienced it. (The surgeons may be very knowledgeable, skilled and experienced in spinal surgery but unless you have actually been through it I don't think anyone can actually understand how it really feels!!!!!!!) Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi...

I've had both anterior and posterior spine surgeries. The anterior incision was much more painful than the posterior incision, but there was no spine pain from the anterior approach.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I also had a large anterior incision, and yes, it hurt much more than the posterior. I was extremely sore/numb/tender around the rib cage for a long time. I had a rib removed also. It's still sensitive and there's a good bit of scar tissue that feels tight and stiff along the incision site, but it doesn't bother me much anymore.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for your advise. Good to know what to expect. Pain relief didn't work too well last time so will have to ask the docs to up the dosage this time :- )

Andrea

Comment

Working...
        X