All done with Scuba Steve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All done with Scuba Steve!

Wow i had forgotten how much that hurts!! Just got home yest from TAmpa Gereral. Everything went fine for sugery. Another nice 12" scar to add to collections.
    So now i am fused all the way down. Does that make me special
    Still in soooo much pain. They just jacked up my amount of meds when i came home.
    It was very hard for them to get me compfortable after revision due to the amount of narcs i have been on for 6 yrs. I did a lot of screaming my first 24 hrs.
    Anyways i hope that will be the last time i get my body cut open.
    Gonna get threw this post op pain and then start picking brains on getting off the meds.
    Thanks to all for thoughts and prayers.
    SS

Wow.
    Glad you're okay and feel better quick!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

special

Absolutely....being fused all the way down does make you special!!! well, I like to think so

Congrats on being home and take it easy!!!
      Kathy
      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

that's great Steve...
        wishing you a rapid and uneventful recovery!

jess

Comment

Nope, being fused all the way down does not make you special.....you were already special! Hope you feel better soon.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Steve

Oh boy. I wasn’t a screamer, I was more of a yeller....

Remember about the hot water for pain. You will have to get permission from your Doctor since you are only 6 days out. Your incision has to be healed up some. I used a anti-bacterial soap on my wounds in a shower after my tubs.

Soon this will be over.....you know the routine, you will do fine.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Steve,
              I have been thinking about you and praying for everything to go well for you. Recovery is tough, but we are a tough bunch of people. Just keep your eye on the prize and you will get there. Good to hear from you. Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Home at six days? You MUST be tough! Have a nice, smooth recovery, Steve.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks to all. Spiked a 103 temp last night but thanks God it was gone this morn. Also almost fell when i got tripped up in a charger wire....
                  Pain is still pretty bad today. Wish i could say something more positive.
                  ED. What is the "hot water" suggestion you through in? never heard of it.
                  And got my stitches out yest. so i think i am good for a bath. Wife said i need one.
                  SS

Comment

Steve,
                    It seems awful early post surgery to be taking a bath, hot,cold or otherwise. Best to take a shower and don't soak the incision. I was told to tape plastic over the incision area at least for two weeks post surgery. I would think that the OT would have mentioned that, but if not, I would check with the Doctor. All Docs have differing views on just about everything.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks Sally will stick with showers as i don't want to open the door for any infections.

Comment

Best of luck Steve. I know how it is being fused myself all the way

Melissa

Comment

Filling like a stick man

melissa,
                          So you are having fun with putting socks on and cutting toe nails too?!
                          Being fused all the way down EXCEPT the last 2 i thought i had all of my mobility issues dealt with.
                          And now this. I cannot even get into or out of my wetsuit booties without someone helping me. Putting the toilet seat down now is a big ordeal! And no i am not using this as an excuse
                          Still healing from the surgery. But incesion in looking great and one day i will fill good and the next like pooh. Wish i could get past this post surgery pain so i can see how old pain is.
                          Any tricks to deal with the total lose of bending. I had one of those poles with the mouth on it maybe i can dig it back out.
                          Have a great night.
                          SS

Comment

Am I correct in thinking you're only a month post-op Steve? I couldn't cut my toenails for 12 months. I didn't try until 6 months! I'm 20 months post op now and it's still not easy, but I can do it.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Steve

It can be a little overwhelming feeling so stiff in the beginning, but you will get over that feeling in time. It bothered me, and I wondered how the heck I was going to figure it out (getting to my feet) but in time you will adapt.

I hope your not diving! You know you are not supposed to be diving right after surgeries. You are supposed to wait a few months. I think its 3 months.

I will admit that I think I will have to cut off the feet from my wetsuits. I have not dove with them, but I think that will be an issue. Cut off at the ankle, and then use side zip booties..... For the heavier suits, 6mm, I think its best just to slap on a 3/4 shortie with a side zip, over a 2-3 mm full. Putting fins on in a water entry, is a little tricky....best to put them on before your giant stride.

You will have to do more time recovering to judge your outcome....

I can tell you how to get to your feet, but I wont because you are too EARLY to be bending.... Soft tissue injuries hurt like hell, and this happens when you try to get to your toenails. It happened to me. You just have to wait, and heal some more. I have read that bathtub time is about 14 days post, check with your Doctor. You don’t want an infection........

Oh yeah, Nitrox 32 bottom time in the bath tub is unlimited. MOD doesn’t apply. LOL
                              Hang in there.
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X