All my bags are packed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All my bags are packed....

Well, guys, I'm to be admitted tomorrow morning 11:00 a.m, surgery at 1:00 pm. Dont' know how I'm feeling. Anxious to get 'er done, but not too afraid. As always, I'm more concerned about the IVs than anything else. How I wish I didn't have this phobia. After all these surgeries, you think it'd just be gone. When I saw the doc he said 1-1/2 hours surgery, unless he finds problems. And only 1-2 days hospitilization. And hopefully, no blood transfusions. Sounds like a piece of cake, huh? He will be removing the rods, all hooks and screws. This should remove the lump between my shoulder blades which he believes is hardward. Sure feels like hardware. Never posted about why I'm glad to have had the surgery. Bottom line, I do not have to worry about a spinal cord injury if one of those facets had broken off prior to first surgery in Apr 08. And the pain I am currently having should be gone. I hope to be healed in 2-4 weeks. Will keep you posted. Glad to know I have you guys to hear me out. Love the love and support. You all are so very generous. Thanks.

Lesley, biker babe
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Best wishes!!

I had my hardware removed 2 weeks ago today.

1 1/2 hr surgery, all went smoothly. I stayed in the hosp for 2 nights (my surgery was in the afternoon, my incision was long - 13 levels - and my vital signs during that first night were erratic. . .all of which led the docs to decide on a 2-night stay).

The removal surgery is a piece of cake when compared to fusion surgery. . .BUT, I haven't found it an easy experience. I'm still hitting the narcs pretty hard (though not as hard as in that first week, when I was taking 4 oxycodone - for a total of 20 mgs - every 3 hours). Although I am in pain, and housebound, the knowledge that the recovery time is short (compared to fusion recovery) cheers me up.

I'll be thinking of you, and look forward to hearing about your experience. (Linda said that she's seen people's post-op pain following hardware removal all over the board.) I'm hoping - WE'RE ALL HOPING - that you waltz through this and hardly even notice that you had anything done, except that you feel BETTER!!!

I'll be watching for your post-op posts!!!
    Last edited by mgs; 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

hi Lesley
      best of luck...i am sure it will go fine...and you will be a new improved version of yourself...minus the metal...

jess

Comment

Best wishes.....Les

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hope everything goes smoothly for you Lesley and you have a nice, easy recovery.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best wishes of a speedy recovery, so that you may jump back onto that speedy bike of yours and just................cruise....................
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

OK. I'm home. It was a four hour surgery, layering BMP the entire length of the spine (more or less). The doc believes the pain was from lack of fusion, not hardware pain. So he removed very little hardware. Surgery was Wednesday afternoon and I was home by Friday, 1 pm. Am on Nucynta, no nausea. First time ever. So I can finally take pain medication. I have an elastic abdominal compress, to wear while the inflammation from drain site goes down. Think I can quit wearing it now. No bandage, just open to those gorgeous staples! Now have a magnetic bone stimulator to encourage bone growth. Oh, and an Iceman. It's an ice chest you plug in and the cold water runs through the ice pack, maintaining a constant cold temperature. Not sure which gadget I like best. Feeling pretty good, just hate the idea of being on pain meds and affecting my thinking. Like it was so good to begin with! Thanks for listening. I'm exhausted!
              Lesley
              Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10

Comment

Les, So glad to hear you are home. I hope you have a smooth recovery with the goal of being pain free and able to get back on that bike!
                Have a great Thanksgiving. Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Glad that you are home
                  I am , also, taking Nucynta. I like it as it seems to help and has no side effects that I can see

Did not your doctor see on Xrays that you had not fused?

Melissa

Comment

Glad to hear it's over and went well Les.

Just one question. Are you taking calcium? I have wondered if taking calcium can help with fusion and wondering if the walking also helps with fusion.

By taking calcium and walking, I actually increased my bone density, according to the last bone density test, so it makes me wonder if we shouldn't be taking calcium when we have fusion surgery. Never read anything about it here or elsewhere that I can remember.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I do Viactiv chews, 2-3 daily, along with Vitamin D3, 1000 I.U. and Magnesium. My multi also has calcium and vitamin d, so I should be covered. Will talk to my GYN next month. I'm sure she'll increase all my bio-identical hormones, as well as the D3. I have osteopenia, so have been doing "all the right things" for several years now.

Comment

[QUOTE=lapieper;112159]I do Viactiv chews, 2-3 daily, along with Vitamin D3, 1000 I.U. and Magnesium.

This is a fantastic combination. I commenced taking this prior to my surgery - stopped for ten days - then went straight back on them again. Previous to surgery, I was Vit D defficient (sp?). It was flagged in one of my pre-op testings. I had to take an oil ordered for me by the Compound Chemist. I wanted to give my fusion every chance and i believe this helped.
                        Vali
                        44 years young! now 45
                        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                        Post -op - 5 degrees
                        T11 - S1 Posterior
                        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

hey Les
                          so glad you are home and recovering...i hope this leads to the pain free life you so deserve!

i found some Nucynta in my drawer...i either never took it or didn't like it, cant remember!

i also have osteopenia...and am on bio identicals...and Vit D, etc...i started the bio identicals because synthetics did nothing for me, and the pause hit me like a ton of bricks! bless the bio identicals....even if the doc giving them to me costs me a fortune (in CA)...she, and the bio stuff, are worth it!!

feel better really soon!
                          jess

Comment

Working...
                          X