Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do for my daughter who has posture issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do for my daughter who has posture issues?

Hi everyone,
    I am new here. My daughter has one shoulder lower than the other and her head tilts off to one side. She also leans to the right. I am worried that it will develop into scoliosis if left untreated. She has a history of plagiocephaly and I know that has been positively correlated to scoliosis.

Are there any programs or techniques out there that you are aware of that can correct posture before it gets out of control???
    Thanks!!

Well I hear Alexander technique claims to work on posture. And I know of people who claim it works for that purpose. Also Feldenkraus (sp?).

Are you sure she doesn't have scoliosis now? Are you sure some of the postural things aren't due to a scoliosis rather than just leading towards a scoliosis?

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks Pooka1!

Comment

I agree with Sharon, have you had her checked for scoliosis? My daughter was the exact same way as her scoliosis progressed. Head leaning to the side all the time and she wasn't even conscious about it. I learned not to say anything because she could not help the postural issues and just made her more self-conscious. Immediately after surgery, her posture improved 100%. You can see the difference in the photos posted in my sig.

Comment

Apparently, Angele1 is a chiro from Fix's site.

It is a mystery why she asked the question she did though it is not a mystery why she would confuse cause/effect of the posture with scoliosis her being a chiro.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Angele1 View Post
            Hi everyone,
            I am new here. My daughter has one shoulder lower than the other and her head tilts off to one side. She also leans to the right. I am worried that it will develop into scoliosis if left untreated. She has a history of plagiocephaly and I know that has been positively correlated to scoliosis.

Are there any programs or techniques out there that you are aware of that can correct posture before it gets out of control???
            Thanks!!
            Hi Angele1, there is a plagiocephaly parent support group: http://www.plagiosupport.org/default.htm

There may be some info there.

Comment

With all due respect Pooka1, whether or not I do CLEAR or am a chiropractor has nothing to do with the fact that I have genuine concern for my daughter and was very much interested in what this forum had to offer as far as postural exercises as she prefers not to wear the weights required for my program.

I don't feel that insulting me was necessary. As a matter of fact, don't you have anything better to do? Why can't a mother who is concerned for her daughter ask a genuine question regardless if they are a chiropractor or a researcher?

Fact of the matter is, if you feel you "outed" me, I believe that is pretty funny "Bambi." I wasn't trying to hide anything...just asking a question so that perhaps I could learn something new from the people who have been through it. Obviously I am a bit more openminded than some. I am a person just like you, and a mother of three. I am always willing to learn more. Perhaps I should have said who I was but really...did it matter? I'm not hiding here. I just posted a response to someone and said who I was.
              I initially didn't state who I was merely for the fact that I know you and others just jump in and go for the attack. Can you blame me?

Please try to refrain on commenting on me as you don't know me or what I do. I don't know you and would show you the same respect.

Didn't you once say that it would be nice to have an evidence based chiropractor on this forum? You don't even give us a chance.

Comment

Fact of the matter is, if you feel you "outed" me, I believe that is pretty funny "Bambi."
                I am a LAY person posing as a LAY person to avoid being instantly kicked off Fix's site for being too FACTUAL.

You are a CLEAR CHIRO who charges money for an unproven treatment modality posing as a LAY person to avoid getting kicked off for ADVERTISING and pushing COUNTERFACTUAL nonsense.

There is no commonality between us.

I am not trying to make money off people and you are. Without evidence of efficacy.
                Last edited by Pooka1; 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Questions for Smith, Clear Chiro

In an effort to avoid you getting kicked off for advertising, would you please answer the following questions?

1. How many patients have you treated with curves <30*?

2. How does the rate at which they reach 50* differ from natural history?

3. How many patients have you treated with curves >30*?

4. How does the rate at which they reach 50* differ from natural history?

5. How has Clear done with kids in the growth spurt with curves <30* to start?

6. How has Clear done with kids in the growth spurt with curves >30* to start?

No arm-waving... just the numbers from your practice.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Didn't you once say that it would be nice to have an evidence based chiropractor on this forum? You don't even give us a chance.
                    Are you a member of that evidenced-based chiro group like Morningstar is? What is the name of it?

In your experience, how EXACTLY do evidence-based chiros operate compared to regular chiros? Please bullet out the differences in your practice versus those in a non-evidence-based practice.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It's a shame Angele - if you'd said "Hi, I'm a Clear chiropractor but I'm really open minded and was wondering if you could recommend some other things that may be helpful as my own daughter has scoliosis" then you'd probably have got a lot of respect here! It definitely would be good to see an evidence-based chiro.

But, as it stands, that's really not a great advert for the Clear program is it, if the actual chiropractor's kids themselves can't be persuaded to go through it? Head weights sound horrendous! It's also a shame that you feel you need to ask ordinary patients about this stuff, and not chat about it with your scoliosis-expert colleagues who should surely know a lot more than anyone here does. I can only advise that you take your daughter to a medically-qualified doctor for appraisal, as they'll definitely know their stuff :-)

I agree about the Alexander Technique. Lots of people have helped improve their posture with this, and it doesn't cost a fortune. The same goes for Pilates :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                        It's a shame Angele - if you'd said "Hi, I'm a Clear chiropractor but I'm really open minded and was wondering if you could recommend some other things that may be helpful as my own daughter has scoliosis" then you'd probably have got a lot of respect here! It definitely would be good to see an evidence-based chiro.
                        She would have had me at "I'm an evidence-based chiro" if she said that. We need an evidence-based chiro here who can answer questions about EVIDENCE for Clear.

Let's see if she answers.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

In an effort to avoid you getting kicked off for advertising, would you please answer the following questions?
                          What is she advertising? She is asking about her daughter and YOU are asking her about her practice. Whether she had honest intentions or not, no one can know except her. And probably won't ever know with this kind of attack. Call me crazy, but I thought in science you don't jump to conclusions without any evidence.

Angele1, what is your username at Fix?
                          1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
                          2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
                            What is she advertising?
                            Check posts in other threads. If you can't find them I'll send you the links.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Evidebnce-based?

I checked her website and it didn't mention being evidence-based. I may have missed it. Hopefully she is evidence-based and sticks around to answer questions about evidence for Clear.

That would be a valuable contribution on her part to the group because many people are potentially interested but don't know what the state of the evidence is.

It is my LAY opinion that Clear is probably a large enough departure from traditional chiro that it needs to be given a chance to prove itself by an EVIDENCE-BASED CHIRO.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X