3 weeks out of revision surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks out of revision surgery!

I have been on the other thread a few times. But never on here. I am a 58 yr. old woman. I wish my first surgery, July of 2010, would have worked. Back in 2006 I had a double fusion instrumentation on L3/4 L4/5. Fast forward to 2010--my vertabra above the fusion(2006) collapsed and I ended up with scoliosis pretty bad. So I went back into surgery July 1st, 2010 and had my back fused from pelvis to T8. (so I thought it was fixed). Well, three months later I was walking bent over and in terrible pain. I had saggital imbalance and flatback syndrome. So the surgeon admitted he should have gone further up. Oct. 20th 2010- I went back into surgery. They extended the rods and screws to T2 and did an osteotomy on L3. I am now three weeks out of surgery. It was hell to go through. But I am straight now. I just hope it stays that way!! I still have a lot of pain. The pain is mostly right between my shoulder blades. Feels like someone has their fist in there, and are twisting and turning it as hard as they can. Has anyone ever felt that kind of pain. I also feel a burning pain that itches terrible to the left of my incision and toward the top. Thought it might be shingles ,but I'm not broke out. I know that I didn't have a choice in this--but it's a lot within a three month period. I had an abdominal surgery(very invasive)in Sept. of 2009. Whew! I also have been on strong pain meds. for so long that the Drs. had an awful time in recovery controling the pain. Well, hope we all heal and have as good a life as we can. What's normal for us is a completley different thing. But we have to take what life throws at us, and I think we are pretty amazing people for what we go through. Soft Hugs~~~babyboomer16 P.S. I need some input as to what to expect and if anyone has had this done, when does the pain get better& ect. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by babyboomer16; 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM. Reason: ADD TEXT
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Babyboomer,
    First of all, I'm sorry for all that you have been through. Hopefully, you are finally fused to the right vertebrae and will recover smoothly. I don't have any comments about the shoulder blade pain, although I think I've read that others on the forum have had pain in that area. I seldom even read the "revision" section, because it adds even more fear to my already fragile emotional state of mind pre-op, but when I saw your name, I remembered you from the "first time" section. Best of luck in your recovery. It's a shame that you had to go through another surgery so soon, but it sounds like they have it right this time.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
      Babyboomer,
      First of all, I'm sorry for all that you have been through. Hopefully, you are finally fused to the right vertebrae and will recover smoothly. I don't have any comments about the shoulder blade pain, although I think I've read that others on the forum have had pain in that area. I seldom even read the "revision" section, because it adds even more fear to my already fragile emotional state of mind pre-op, but when I saw your name, I remembered you from the "first time" section. Best of luck in your recovery. It's a shame that you had to go through another surgery so soon, but it sounds like they have it right this time.
      Sounds like you are having quite a surgery. But I have seen your Dr's name on this site often. And if I remember right he's very good at this surgery. Please don't let my post scare you. As we are all different. I have osteoporosis and that plays into it somewhat. You will be fine. I would love to hear how you do, so please keep us informed. And good luck. We deserve a better quality of life. I will say prayers for you. Thanks for posting. boomer
      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
      This started adult onset scoliosis
      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision
      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
      X