Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are all the published documents on Schroth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the published documents on Schroth?

I wonder why documents are not published on Schroth or Pt benefits for Scoliosis.

We need this published data to facilitate changes by insurance companies that dictate what they deem as appropriate treatment.

Then get this my insurance co. Only excepts US based documents!!

More rules and issues with this.
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

So I am asking those who treat Scoliosis with success to have some one publish this data and make it known.

I know specific rules apply, Can a outside source that is non bias see the success and research...publish and give the scoliosis families some concrete evidence of What is a good treatment option.

As a consumer and a parent,
    I really rely on references and personal testimonies
    The Scientific research
    Published data
    and yes unfortunately Cost is always a factor...can I afford this treatment and is it worth my out of pocket spending.
    Is there a guarantee? LOL

If we are investing mega dollars I think a money back guarantee should be included...don't you?
    Last edited by Bigbluefrog; 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM.
    age 15
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

If Schroth worked there would be no surgery.

There is no good evidence it works to knowledge.

We know that some insurance companies pay for Schroth. The question is why. I am guessing it gets paid for as "PT" for pain because there is no evidence of efficacy in avoiding surgery for scoliosis. Have you tried that route? Is it about the same cost as other types of PT?

Good luck.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Published Works

There are probably another 200 not on this list:

http://publicationslist.org/hr.weiss

As for money back guarantees - yeah that would be sweet, to my knowledge no one gives those, including our surgeons.
        Last edited by mamamax; 11-11-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          If Schroth worked there would be no surgery.

There is no good evidence it works to knowledge.

We know that some insurance companies pay for Schroth. The question is why. I am guessing it gets paid for as "PT" for pain because there is no evidence of efficacy in avoiding surgery for scoliosis. Have you tried that route? Is it about the same cost as other types of PT?

Good luck.
          correction there is no publicized evidence in the USA that it works...I have about 50 personal testimonies on success with schroth therapy.
          Success maintaining or improvement with curves.

The referrals were given by the clinic, after a week of intensive exercise, my daughter was measured and lengthened her spine and the curves regressed to original measurements, 24T 20L
          then it was 27T 24L,,,,,after schroth it went back...there is some marginal error on measurements...so did it improve? In my humble opinion yes...is it working? How do I know which aspect is the reason, is it massages, exercises, chiro, or brace....I am not willing to isolate a particular regimen ...figuring we give 100% to alternative therapy along w conventional bracing.
          age 15
          T20 l23 10-09
          T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post

As for money back guarantees - yeah that would be sweet, to my knowledge no one gives those, including our surgeons.
            thanks. money back guarantee...dreaming here
            age 15
            T20 l23 10-09
            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

As you've seen, there are plenty of published studies, but nothing that shows the long-term results.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

testimonials are not the same as proof...they may be reassuring to those trying the same method, but they are not scientific proof, and are not considered so by the medical community...or by anybody who wants real, solid proof!

jess

Comment

Schroth is still considered a fringe treatment in Germany per a European patient.

There is a reason.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    testimonials are not the same as proof...they may be reassuring to those trying the same method, but they are not scientific proof, and are not considered so by the medical community...or by anybody who wants real, solid proof!

jess
                    You took the words right out of my mouth, Jess.

The question was regarding published data. I would venture to guess that one could find testimonials about any form of treatmemt (meaning, that for at least a few people, that particular method seemed to have worked).

Very different from solid proof, as you say.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Quackwatch and Scroth

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ght=quackwatch

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

A tiring discussion - but here goes ...

Where are all the long term studies? Of anything!

If I were to have surgery today, there are no long term studies available for the method that would be used.

If I were to sign into inpatient treatment at the large Schroth clinic in Germany, there would be no long term studies available.

How do we get studies? There's a topic worth exploring. Answer: Industry Funding, University support, industry sponsored trials, etc, etc, etc. Surgery is bigger money - way bigger money. Example: Medtronic is able to pay a single surgeon 1.35 Billion dollars for the invention of one conic screw http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/23/bu...erland&emc=rss

There is no funding for Physical Therapy/Rehabilitation that would support trials and studies on a comparative level - much less pay big money for an invention, say a decent brace that performs well. This very topic was addressed at SOSORT 2010 with a call to hopefully level the playing field in the future. Meanwhile, those in private practice cannot begin to financially fund their own trials.

As always, the answer to most things is: Money.

Pooka1 - your Quackwatch reference is misleading and outdated. Schroth does not appear on the Quackwatch alert list, and never has. And we have no idea who the so called consultant is that you reference - a reason the identity was left off the "opinion" from an unknown source?

Comment

Pooka1 - your Quackwatch reference is misleading and outdated.
                          Not really.

What is misleading is for you to list the Weiss pubs and fail to mention that NONE of those pubs support the efficacy of Schroth in preventing surgeries. Else Weiss would have the Nobel long ago. But we don't obtain that result.

Schroth does not appear on the Quackwatch alert list, and never has.
                          It might be just a matter of time. Schroth has been around since 1921 and still it is fringe. And still surgeries happen as always.

And we have no idea who the so called consultant is that you reference - a reason the identity was left off the "opinion" from an unknown source?
                          It's someone on the staff there. I assume it is an MD based on the comments.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
                            But the Schroth people (and Weiss in particular) really have no excuse. If something good is happening there, they're weakening the whole argument for exercise and scoliosis by *not* making a stronger case. And, if they don't have a stronger case to make by now, they should shut up shop and let someone else have a go at it.
                            For a method that has been around since 1921, and for a method with tens of thousands of patients under a person clearly capable of designing, executing, and writing up a study, their LACK of results is conspicuous and we are free to infer the method is ineffective for preventing surgery until they pony up something, anything.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
                              The SEAS people are newer, and they've been pretty good about publishing what they know. I'm giving them a pass until they've been doing this for 15 years. But the Schroth people (and Weiss in particular) really have no excuse. If something good is happening there, they're weakening the whole argument for exercise and scoliosis by *not* making a stronger case. And, if they don't have a stronger case to make by now, they should shut up shop and let someone else have a go at it.
                              Where are you getting your information about SEAS? The only case studies I've ever gotten are from writing to them (outside of a few articles I found at scoliosisjournal.com Case studies are also documented, and can be obtained by asking the sources (both the Clinic in Germany and Weiss who is now in private practice). Weiss does have some case studies in his published material. Neither SEAS or Schroth seem big into advertising from my viewpoint and information on both is not readily available to the general public. Think the Schroth Clinic in WI has some case studies upon request as well (not firm on that), but again case studies are the lowest form of reporting. Neither having large industry funding for long term trials.

Comment

Working...
                              X