Giving Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

donating for you

I donated blood for my daughter. Usually like everyone else had said they dont advise you to donate your own blood. But myself and my family donated for my daughter. I felt better knowing that she was getting my blood and not a strangers. The doctor just has to write you a prescription and state how many units will be needed and then your family can contact the special donations office at your local blood bank to donate.
    Lindsay

mom of Kyra 6 yrs old
    thoracic curve 70 degrees
    bracing-2005-2006
    serial casting-2007-2008
    chiropractic- 2010
    growth rod insertion 11/16/2010
    curve post surgery - 25 degrees

Comment

I am donating...

Dr. Boachie wants me to donate. My surgery is December 7th so I donated my first this past Monday and have two more to go 11/15 and 11/22. It was a bit of a process finding the vein. After the blood pressure cuff was put on, it worked better, but it took forever. I don't mind donating but the vitamens that I have to take from now until the day before surgery really upsets my stomach. All the medications I'm on have zero side effects, but these vitamens do a job on me. I hope I don't need the transfusions, even though I am paying close to $450 for the processing. I would imagine it goes into the blood bank? Best of luck to all, LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

It seems odd that you have to pay $450 for the processing. If you don't need your own blood, wouldn't it just go into the blood bank? I guess I'll see what Dr. Lenke says on Wed. I'm sure hoping that I don't have to donate my own blood. Dr. Lenke's nurse talked about setting up a schedule for donating, but I'm hoping that's because she thinks I want to donate.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Fees to donate

My daughter's daughter wants her to donate once; and then her dad and I do so as well. He said he'll use hers first, then ours.

The blood bank can only use the blood within 28 days of donation. Several days waste during the processing of it... I know if insurance doesn't cover it in San Diego, they charge $325 for her to donate for herself. I can have up to 10 people donate for her and it's a $55 charge for our "file" set up fee. I think they charge because it's not for the "general use"; and they have to cover their lab testing fees in case the blood can't be used by the "expiration date" after her surgery. Here's to hoping she won't need it!

Surgery is 12/13, she's 12 and scared!!

Comment

Why do you have to pay? I did mine through the American Red Cross and there was no charge... That seems really strange that there would be a processing fee. And that seems really steep!

And no, I know it doesn't go into the blood bank. It's for your use only.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi all,

Originally I was hoping I could donate my own blood for surgery but Dr. Lenke basically said "No" without saying that exact word. In his opinion a MAJOR contributing factor to infection is people donating their own blood because it wears down the immune system and your body's reserves leaving you vulnerable. He said he truly believes this is why he hasn't had a patient develop an infection in a very long time. Once he explained that I felt better about getting donations from others though I would still prefer it be from my family members if possible. Just something to think about ~ hope it helps
              Laurie Anne
              Age 30
              Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
              Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
              Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
              PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
              5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
              1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Originally posted by Jacque's Mom View Post
                Dr. Boachie wants me to donate. My surgery is December 7th so I donated my first this past Monday and have two more to go 11/15 and 11/22. It was a bit of a process finding the vein. After the blood pressure cuff was put on, it worked better, but it took forever. I don't mind donating but the vitamens that I have to take from now until the day before surgery really upsets my stomach. All the medications I'm on have zero side effects, but these vitamens do a job on me. I hope I don't need the transfusions, even though I am paying close to $450 for the processing. I would imagine it goes into the blood bank? Best of luck to all, LYNN
                What are the vitamins and which brand are you taking? I'm thinking to donate my own blood as well.
                62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                45/50 year 2000
                36 yrs old
                Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                S. California
                http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

hi jennilynn
                  your poor little girl...i feel so bad for her!

i am sure she'll be fine, but would expect she's really scared...it is such a scary prospect!

just in case the surgeon's reassurances aren't enough...you could ask for a hospital social worker or psychologist for her to talk to, just to have a place to express her fears, other than to her mother...

she will be in my thoughts and prayers until she's recovered, playing and running and just being a child again...

best regards
                  jess

Comment

What are the vitamins and which brand are you taking? I'm thinking to donate my own blood as well.
                    3. Folic Acid - 1 mg. - once daily (was by prescription)

My stomach has gotten used to them. I started taking the vitamins on 11/4, since I had to start taking them five days prior to my first donation. I was instructed to go to the New York Blood Center and being charged $147.80 per unit. My veins are so small that it takes a while to find it and also slow donating. Other than that, I've had no problem at all.

Good luck! LYNN
                    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                    2000 Partial Rod Removal
                    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Vitamin C?

Hi Lynn,
                      Were you instructed to stop taking vitamin C two weeks prior to your surgery? I was told to stop vitamin C for two weeks prior to surgery as it can increase bleeding. It was a bit tricky as C is added to many drinks like Propel and even the iced green tea that I drank. I cut back to just water, coffee, and milk.
                      Kathy
                      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

What about the general vitamins that include vitamin C? Should I stop taking those as well because they have vitamin C? Did anyone say anything about that?

I haven't been to my pre-op yet so I don't know what the drs will say.

Comment

Hi Irene,

My instructions were to stop "vitamins E & C or multivitamins" two weeks prior to surgery. (I just went and looked at the instruction sheet .) It also said to stop iron supplements.
                          Kathy
                          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

KathyK - this is what the note from Dr. Boachie's reads:

"These medications should begin five days before the first appointment and please continue taking all of them until the day of your surgery".

I'm wondering why there is such a difference between surgeons. I'm curious to know if anyone that had Dr. Boachie as their surgeon had the same or different instructions. Thanks, LYNN
                            2000 Partial Rod Removal

Comment

I just saw Dr. Lenke and Kelly today for my pre-op testing and neither said anything about stopping Vitamin C or multi vitamins. I guess I'll call about it since Dr. Lenke is Kathy's surgeon. I drink O.J. and take Juice Plus pills which have vitamin C. I also take a multi-vitamin.
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

After talking to Dr. Lenke today, he feels that the blood bank is as safe as any blood a family member would donate. He does not allow his patients to donate for themselves. My husband was going to donate, but we've just decided to use the blood bank. When I am well recovered from this surgery, I feel like I should donate whenever Red Cross comes to town. I have in the past, but it's been a long time.
                                Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
                                X