Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pericardial Effusion and Pleural Effusion after surgery

Hello:

After my 2006 revision spinal surgery (T3-S1), I was discovered to have fluid in my right lung (Pleural Effusion) and also around my heart (Pericardial Effusion). Back in 2006 I had my lung drained 3 times and still had a small amount left - mostly scarring after one year. Same with the fluid around the heart. Still had about 100 cc's after one year.

Recently I had a Chest CT Scan because I have been having severe shortness of breath and it was discovered my fluid in my right lung is increasing again along with the fluid around my heart. Just had a ECHO, EKG, and Blood Work done to see what is causing this.

Has anyone else had problems with fluid in lungs and or heart after Spinal Surgery? Please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I also had a pleural effusion after my spinal fusion; complication of my 5 rib thoracoplasty. I was informed by my surgeon that this could happen. I had 2 chest tubes including a VATS procedure. Has your surgeon told you why you still have fluid? I was told that any leftover fluid would be absorbed by the body. Have you seen a thoracic surgeon about your problem? Doesn't sound normal.

I am having a follow up chest xray today. I too have some SOB but I think its due to my 5 broken ribs!

I hope you find the answer to your problem soon. My best to you.
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
    X