Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Pooka... You're Gonna Love This One!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scoliosis distribution

Skevimc

"Something" causes an imbalance in the spinal column. Under normal circumstances, the body can either recruit extra muscle to help stabilize and/or the imbalance is small enough so the muscles are able to 'catch-up' to the imbalance and continue doing their stabilizing thing. In abnormal circumstances, the muscles are not able to stabilize and the imbalance continues. The body will inevitably try to recruit other muscles to improve stability (if the body even senses the imbalance). Failing to correct the imbalance would then result in a spinal curve. At any point prior to permanent disc or vertebral damage/wedging, the body would, in theory, be capable of stabilizing with musculature, i.e. spontaneous correction or curve stability. If the growth is too fast and/or the body can not coordinate or train an effective spinal stability muscle pattern, the imbalance remains giving a progressive curve.
    The distribution of Scoliosis fits your hypothesis.

Juvenile Scoliosis occurs in roughly equal numbers among boys and girls. Juvenile boys and girls have roughly the same muscles mass.

Adolescent Scoliosis occurs far more frequently in girls than boys. Adolescent girls have far less muscle mass than boys.

Comment

Bumping this up to the top for newer members.

bump

Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Does anyone with access to the study data want to let us know how many kids at different size of curves there were in the study and which size of curves had the spontaneous regressions?

Obviously a twelve degree curve is going to have a much high chance of spontaneous regression than a 24 degree curve.

And in any case, none of the cases would have probably been braced, just monitoring by a physician which would be the prudent thing to do anyway with a scoli curve in a growing child.

And what's interesting is the study stopped before most of those kids would have even entered puberty when the most rapid progression would be expected to occur. Weird.

Comment

Oh, I see that the study data is shown at the link.

The curves were between 14 degrees and 16 degrees at the start of the study. That is not bracing territory. It is nice to know that a small percentage of the curves will have some reduction. Lucky them!

Comment

Overstatement?

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            http://www.josr-online.com/content/5/1/80
            [INDENT]J Orthop Surg Res. 2010 Nov 4;5(1):80. [Epub ahead of print]
            Spontaneous regression of curve in immature idiopathic scoliosis - does spinal column play a role to balance? An observation with literature review.

Modi HN, Suh SW, Yang JH, Hong JY, Kp V, Muzaffar N.
            Abstract

If this study is correct, it means that only 26% of kids with curves <25 degrees and who are Risser 0, will go on to need treatment (at least for the next 10 years).

Linda,

The article you referenced is a 12 - 30 month study of children (ages 5-11, 50 BOYS & 119 girls w/ curves between 10 & 25 degrees, both JIS & AIS, left & right curves, and single & double curves) which was “concerned about the role of the spinal column in the developing (immature) curve.” Among other things, it discussed the possible connection between the rate of a growth spurt exceeding the rate of paraspinal muscle adaptation and a progressive curve.

While the article referenced known progression rates and their belief the DIRECTION OF THE CURVES and FLUXUATIONS IN CURVE SIZE they were following had become stable, I could not locate the section that discussed the study following the subjects through PGV to maturity. (They mentioned they had followed some of the subjects for an additional period of time, but did not support this with data.) Without knowing the gender, curve pattern, and level of maturity of the subjects when they ceased to merit observation, I do not understand how you were able to project curve progression or the need for treatment. I believe you may have accidentally applied their figures erroneously.

If you find my supposition to be incorrect, I would appreciate your assistance in helping me understand my error/s. Sighting the appropriate pages and paragraphs when you are discussing the matter will make it easier for me to follow your train of thought.

Thank you in advance for your guidance,

A Mom

Comment

Working...
            X