broken rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken rod

I went for my 1 year post op check and I have a broken rod. It is still in line and he said the fusion around it is very good. It wasn't broken 3 months ago in my xray so it happend recently and I think it was when I slipped in the front yard on a pile of leaves. I am not having any acute pain, just the normal aches I live with on a daily basis. So we are just going to check it again in 6 months. I'm not really too worried or upset at this point; I just wanted to hear any stories of others living with a broken rod. Thanks

2000- spinal fusion w inst. t-2 L-4
    2002 top1/2 rod removal due to rods loose
    2004 bottom rod removal due to pain
    2007 spinal fusion t-9 to L-5 due to kyphosis and leaning forward(made it worse)
    2008 internal bone stim removal
    2009 oct 15th rod removal,repair of fusion new rods t2 to s1 with pelvic anchoring, osteotomies, and 1 peek cage.

Well no replies so i guess no one is living comfortably with a broken rod and I didnt for very long. I was sitting down and reached down for my blanket piled on the floor beside me and something popped really loud and it was painful. I have been in pain since. I go for xrays tomorrow

2000- spinal fusion w inst. t-2 L-4
    2002 top1/2 rod removal due to rods loose
    2004 bottom rod removal due to pain
    2007 spinal fusion t-9 to L-5 due to kyphosis and leaning forward(made it worse)
    2008 internal bone stim removal
    2009 oct 15th rod removal,repair of fusion new rods t2 to s1 with pelvic anchoring, osteotomies, and 1 peek cage

Comment

Hi...

I actually think there are a at least a people who live with broken rods. It doesn't surprise me at all that you now have pain.

The good news is that the problem is easily fixed if need be.

Keep us posted.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have broken rods, but am definitely not without pain! Did the other side go with the loud pop? Usually with one its just a matter of time before the other side breaks. I hope they can get you back to feeling okay soon!
        25 years old
        double 70+ degree curves before surgery
        Anterior on 11/11/08
        Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
        nearly perfect correction
        fused t-10 to pelvis
        with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
        Broke left rod on 10/24/09
        Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
        Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
        Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I had xrays today and now the rod is broken in 2 places instead of just 1. I go for a ct tomorrow to check the fusion around the new break.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what sort of material are everyone's broken rods?
            Female, age 38
            4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
            currently 64*upper/40*lower
            Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
            now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

My rods are titanium.

Comment

My first set of broken rods were titanium, the second set were vitallium. The new set that is going in is some other kind...which I have currently forgotten the name of, its a cobalt alloy
                25 years old
                Anterior on 11/11/08
                fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

How was your CT? Did it show any fusion at the levels of the breakage?
                  25 years old
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

I havent got the results yet. I sent you a pm before I your post. If you find out exaclty what kind of rods they are using let me know if you dont mind. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fierceliketiger View Post
                      My first set of broken rods were titanium, the second set were vitallium. The new set that is going in is some other kind...which I have currently forgotten the name of, its a cobalt alloy
                      While the composition of rods might have something to do with WHEN they break, the composition is not usually the problem. By the way, the new rods you mention are probably cobalt chromium.

If you've broken multiple rods, the one thing you can personally do to keep it from happening again, is by paying strict attention to the BLT rule -- no bending beyond 90 degrees, no twisting, and no lifting more than 10 pounds, for at least the first 3 months. Being that I'm going through that period right now, I can attest to how difficult those rules are to follow!

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I wore a brace for the first three months both times, and still have yet to bend beyond 90 degrees except when I am asked to by the surgeons. Sometimes the rods break no matter what you do. I have always followed my surgeon's orders no matter how ridiculous they seemed, and still, the rods broke. It always seems like so many people want to know on this board exactly what I did wrong to make my fusion fail, when the answer could very well be, nothing. Its not something you want to think about when you have a fusion, but it happens, and the sad truth is that it could happen to anyone, not just those who didn't follow orders.
                        Last edited by fierceliketiger; 03-25-2011, 11:38 AM.
                        25 years old
                        Anterior on 11/11/08
                        fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

fierceliketiger

I think most just ask to understand HOW it can happen and hope to prevent it. I am a worry wart and I search for information to help myself.

Comment

Has anyone heard from Fierce since her surgery March 30th?? Hope she's doing OK. May try a PM to her. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                            X