Another newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie

Hey all, my name is Dustin and my spine is shaped like an S. I've had scoliosis for awhile. I wore a back brace from 12 years old to 14. I'm now 29. The upper curve is around 13 deg, middle is 39 and lower is in the low 20's. My hips and shoulders are actually pretty straight.

Anyway, lately I've been having some lower back issues. I have never had lower back pain until now. It only occurs after playing ultimate frisbee or anything active like that. It started out as a minor pain a couple months ago, then it wouldn't hurt until I got home after playing ultimate for 2-3 hours. Now it hurts after playing for about 1.5 hours and it really slows me down. It takes me from being one of the fastest players on the field to one of the slowest, very annoying. It's a pain on the lower left area and an occasional sharp pain down my left leg. One night I could barely get out of my car when I got home. I can't sit down immediately after playing because it sends a sharp pain from my butt down my leg and it hurts to stand back up. The pain used to be gone the next day, but now it lingers a little longer. I also battled runners knee in my left leg last winter and earlier this summer, but I don't know if that is related.

I've been going to a chiropractor and it hasn't been helping at all. He told me about the only thing he can do is to strengthen the muscles in that area and stabilize things. He said the curve in my lower spine could be pinching nerves. I've gone to a chiro before for upper back pain and it actually helped almost immediately. Is there anything else that I can try that might help get rid of this?

Hi Dustin...

I think it might be beneficial to try a round of physical therapy or Pilates therapy, to learn some exercises to strengthen in your core muscles. If that doesn't work, you may just need to find something less impactful for your obsession.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yeah, I've been considering trying physical therapy out. I may take the winter off from ultimate also and see if that helps any.

Comment

Also, the last couple of days the "runners knee" (ITBS) pain in my left leg seems like it is creeping back. I wonder if this is related?

Comment

Working...
        X