Drainage from surgical incision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drainage from surgical incision

I have started a new thread for this issue. My daughter's surgical scar widened and had sutures popping out. Doc said no problem. Now there is drainage looks like blood but it also could be pus. It comes in colors! There also seems to be a dip in the scar as well. I am so afraid it's the bacteria again. I don't want to go through another implant removal, deformity and reinstrumentation. This is unbelievable! This doc misdiagnosed one aspect of her care but is really nice. It's hard for me to get angry at the hospital because we go to it for all our care. Has anyone ever had a incision that had difficluty healing? Thanks Mary

Mary I am so sorry to hear of the continuing problems.

My one daughter has a very funky scar. There are three point depressions in it and at each one, another small scar has extended sideways like a comma, each about 2 inches long. It is incredible that these side scars look identical to the main scar in texture and color. They simply developed off the surgical scar. They look like three little smiles.

This is certainly due to her connective tissue issue whatever that is. And the scars don't keep her from wearing prom dresses that expose virtually the entire scar. She just doesn't care about the main scar or the side scars.

The other kid has a more normal scar though it is pretty wide at the bottom compared to the top. Not sure if that is usual or not. This kid has gotten minor scrapes that leave permanent scars. Again, that is the connective tissue thing they both seem to have.

There was never any redness or drainage so I can't speak to that.

Good luck with the girls. You will solve this.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Mary...

Since it's draining, it's easy enough for the doctor to tell if it's an infection. All he needs to do is to collect some of the fluid. Have you called his office?

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Soo complicated

Thanks for the responses! It is always helpful to hear other voices.

We did get in and saw the doc. He thought it was due to the some sutures coming through and possibly her increased level of activity.

I was very concerned because her past history of drainage was P Acnes and at times it was colored red along with a variety of other colors. It also beaded which is what this discharge was doing along with staining a shirt which also happened before.

We saw him the week before -for a schedualed visit and the sutures were there and no one said to watch for any discharge. We were more concerned about her sister and her back pain. The scar has really widened alot!

Both girls swim and do what the other girls do. But I think it looks alot worse than before.

The doc and NP were saying they close like Plastic Surgeons. Of course these guys were the ones to dx my daughter's the sinus tract infection as a hemotoma.
        ID is out of everything.

Maybe I should get them back. They were insulted when I asked for a consult from the Children's Hospital we had a Ortho consult from. That's a whole other story how some consults end up being worthless!

There was no culturing. My daughter had a really bad sinus infection and has been picking up things right and left since she stopped antibiotics.
        Our Peds doc put her on antiobiotics or else I think the doc would have done it himself.
        He wants to see both in 6 weeks. I really just want this all to stop for my daughters sake and mine. I can't work because I am running here and there with their medical issues. We are running up a huge medical bill!

Oh yes. Hot Tubs. Do people have them? My daughter with the infection really wants one. I called the ortho doc to get his ideas and typically never heard back. I can't just lie.

Any help with ideas or thoughts on how to handle these issues would be great. Thanks Mary

Comment

I had problems with my revision surgery. The doctor cut along side of my old scar and I was leaking fluids from it. I wnet back a couple of times before my husband saw were it was leaking from. The doctor put staples in the area to hold it together better. Then I had to wait 2 more weeks to get them out.

As for a hot tub, I exercise at a senior pool that is kept at 90 degrees. Keeps my rod warm and eases my arthritis when I exercise plus the water supports my back.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I don't know that much about drainage issues after the healing has commenced. We have tried a health club but the girls weren't consistent. The guilt over what has happened makes us prime candidates for being used by the girls. I was just wondering if anyone ever had experienced with them.
            It would be a sacrifice and they have college ahead. The More I think about it the less chance there is. Wished I had medical backup! Mary

Comment

Mary, how is the drainage now? Any better?

I assume ID cleared your daughter to be re-instrumented, yes?

In re health club versus college, I am not in your shoes and can barely follow along here.

I will just say college is more important than most things in my opinion.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X