Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Blazing Trails of Glory, I'm BACK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Blazing Trails of Glory, I'm BACK!

Thanks Ed, for keeping things up to date. You da bomb, man! You're also sweet to share Susie B!

I've been trying to get myself together to post but, the moods and the energy have their own ideas as to what my agenda will be for any particular day. I will just let some pictures speak for me. I have had a successful revision, according to my doc. I do seem to be straighter now, and can't wait until the staples are removed, I'm no longer uncomfortable/swollen/spacey for enough time to really appreciate the "good" gravity of the situation. Thanks for all your well wishes and I'll post more later!
    The photo of T-ED (aka Dr Demento) was taken during his visit at the hospital. He is diplaying the screw that this surgery removed as it was no longer connected to anything. Dr M started his fusion at this level (T-7) and re-screwed the area into some actual bone.
    Singing the Blues
    Female 1951
    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

You and Ed ought to be on the stage!

So happy for you Sharon. You sure deserved this good result. Take it easy and let it all heal nicely.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I love it! You look much straighter now. You also look remarkably well for a hospital patient...! Best wishes for swift and uneventful healing.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Happy pictures, great people, friends all...

Keep us in the loop - in a manner of speaking. Straight loop! Love your hair and profile too, Sharon. You are a pretty lady - matches your wit (So everything doesn't have to be back-back-back, does it?)

And Ed, if I'm not mistaken, did you not lose a LOT of weight and (somehow) about twenty chronological years? (Must be because of just what weight you lost - the healthy eating part). You - if that IS you - look like a teen-ager. That must be a screw-holder (thinking of "organ-holder" from long distant thread), holding your screw - not you. Sorry for mistaken identity.

Screws and hardware somehow look better to me outside our mortal coil - once they've done their noble duty inside. I know they can only rarely be removed again, but it sure looks great to me when they re-emerge to the light of day.

Hey, that IS a kinda shocking wire there to the left on your back, Sharon! Is it a drain of some kind? That will feel good when it's clipped off, won't it? Looks like a code violation wire a shoddy electrician slapped on my central AC! Man, we ARE bionic aren't we - heroes and heroines? (There I go, neatly including myself with the company of you, our real troupers, even though thus far, I've done nothing but talk big for months - that, and shiver night and day in my boots!)
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Totally Tubular

Thanks for the good wishes (and good humor) my friends!

The wire thingy is actually a plastic tube for suction thingy (you guessed it, Amanda) that I reluctantly took home with me on Friday as the nurses felt it was still draining too much to leave behind, and apparently the doctor concurred. I had the surgery done on Wednesday morning, and they released me Friday afternoon at about 2:30. When the pain ramped up, it always felt more intense on the left side where the nasty tube was. We had to go back to the doctor's office in Reno on Monday to have the tube removed and boy, was that a relief! The damn thing was always in my way as the other end was connected to a round plastic recepticle about 4" across and 1 1/2 inches deep. It contained several springs and when we drained it twice a day we then had to press down to let all the air out of it, then replace the tab while the thing was still deflated. It would then slowly re-inflate as it suctioned the fluids out. A very simple, ingenious design I thought, but was glad to be rid of it none-the-less. The tech also removed 2 staples that I had discovered on my left butt cheek by accident while attending to some restroom needs. When asked, the doctor said they had removed some bone marrow from the area. I guess he used it for the new fusion somehow.
          The hospital was a nice facility; private room, open, nice decor, etc., but the same old issues still reign. Most of my caregivers were great and most of them were "overbooked." Getting pain killers on time is still a problem, and an absolute disgrace as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather do without the fancy artwork on the wall and put that money toward an extra RN or two. I later asked the doctor why he prescribed a stronger pain pill for me at home when at the hospital I was given only a 5 milligram dose of oxycontin every 4 hours which needed to be supplimented with a morphine injection about 2 hours later to control the pain. He said that was just the hospital's MO no doubt to help control costs. I'm sure all this cost savings will be reflected on my bill Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!! He sent me home with an even stronger prescription 10-325 percocet which is 10 mgs oxycontin and 325 tylenol. I was still having pain issues so with the good graces of Dr's office, I added a 5-325 a half an hour before taking the 10-325. That took care of the pain, but I was so dopey that I could hardly function. I'm back down to 1 10-325 every 4 hours and I'll try 1 5-325 at 2:00 today to see if that'll cut it. If so, I'll keep at that until I can slowly back off even more. I dislike narcotics but dislike the pain even more!! I have taken a few walks to the mailbox, one around the block, and one even 2 blocks! It feels really good. I take my cane just for stability if I feel a bit woozy. My husband goes too and keeps a close eye on me. Dr Menmuir prefers no walker or cane, so I just walk with my brace on around the house. For those of you who have not yet made up your mind about surgery, I strongly urge you to have someone stay with you in the hospital, and for at least the first 2 or 3 weeks you are at home. Mark has 6 weeks off, and I know he'll need to take at least 3. I can't bend, twist, carry anything over 5 lbs. for about a month. I have to wear my brace for 3 months. I can't drive 'til at least 4 weeks; Dr prefers 6 weeks. I intend to follow orders and make this surgery a success, as I am NEVER going to do it again, I can assure you!! I am hopeful and encouraged. Thank you all again for your support. It means so much to me!! For those of you who'd like to "befriend" me on Facebook, I'm Sharon Loranger Ward Colley.
          Singing the Blues
          Female 1951
          A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.

Comment

Great pics Sharon, thank you! I agree with Amanda, you look too healthy to be a scoli surgery patient.

And I agree (vehemently) about the "less art, more pain meds" comment. One of my bugbears about various institutions that have their priorities out of whack. It happens everywhere, doesn't it?

Sounds like you're travelling well. Keep up the good work and I know a sense of humour helps...so long as you can keep a grip on it in the rough times.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sharon,

You sound so good, so "yourself", and I don't really even know you. Well, despite your pain relief issues, I hope the zig-zag line of recovery mostly zigs for you. You deserve it.

For anyone tempted to "friend" Sharon on Facebook, besides her skill in comedic writing, her 1967-68 user picture is not to be missed. The best hairstyle I have ever ever seen.

Go, Sharon!
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Big Hair Rules!

Originally posted by foofer View Post
                Sharon,

You sound so good, so "yourself", and I don't really even know you. Well, despite your pain relief issues, I hope the zig-zag line of recovery mostly zigs for you. You deserve it.

For anyone tempted to "friend" Sharon on Facebook, besides her skill in comedic writing, her 1967-68 user picture is not to be missed. The best hairstyle I have ever ever seen.

Go, Sharon!
                Hey Foofer,

You've got quite the sense of humor yourself! I actually found a larger picture of the same "do" and reposted on FB. If I had a dollar for every can of AquaNet I went through in the '60s, I'd be a millionaire!!! Think I'll post it here just for fun too. I'll look back in the posts to see what you are dealing with. In the meantime, be well and keep laughing!!
                Singing the Blues
                Female 1951

Comment

So happy to hear your revision was successful, Sharon. I knew you could do it.

Comment

That hair !!!!!!! That is priceless !!!! Looks like your face and your hair are in different zip codes....!!!!!!
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

The hairband anchors the two halves into the same zip code. If she had pulled off the band, the top half would have ejected into outer space.
                      Amy
                      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

Sharon, So glad to see you on the other side. You look way too chipper for someone who just had scoliosis revision surgery. You look great and so does Ed.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                        X