X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The move you canNOT make

The move you canNOT make is to say,

Medieval "geniuses" said souls exist therefore embryonic stem cell research is not ethical.

That is how the argument goes for anyone who thinks there is an ethical issue with embryonic stem cell research and it isn't rational.

A good test is to ask whether there is any non-theological reason to oppose something. If there is ONLY a theological reason then there is no rational reason. Thus there is no rational reason to oppose the following:

1. embryonic stem cell research
    2. homosexuality
    3. abortion of non-viable fetuses

I invite folks who imagine there is an ethical issue with these things to step into the present and out of the Bronze, Iron and Medieval Ages.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Oh it's probably just a manifestation of a deep-seated self-loathing over not being a biochemist.

Maybe I think I'm a failure because I'm not a biochemist.

There is no ethical issue here. And you know it. The gap is in admitting it.

If it turns out that embryos are the best source of stem cells on balance and especially due to the research being further along and people are dying now, will you, Ballet Mom and others admit it is at least as ethical to use them in that way as throwing them out?

That is where the intellectual rubber meets the road. And you know it. The gap is in admitting it.
      Being that there is no solid scientific proof either way regarding the existence of ethical issues - the argument becomes moot, and it could be argued that both exist by default :-)

Honestly, personally, I think the world is large enough for scientific exploration of both methods. The best method will surface in time. In my little world I would like to see the best method be one that does the job best while not involving ethical issues (real and/or imagined). I admit this cannot always happen. But it does look as if Non-Embryonic Stem Cell Research is very promising in the area of regenerative medicine. It is a good thing - and maybe will prove the best thing. Time will tell.

Comment

Sharon,

You take every occasion to insult people who pray and mock their intellect. And who are you to tell people what they know? You are a mere creature, so get over it. Quite frankly, I am bored with your never-ending egocentric pontifications.

The ever wise Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, who spoke and wrote so eloquently about man’s love affair with himself, wrote a most applicable insight in his book On Being Human,

“There are three possible kinds of God: the god of one’s own ego, in which the atheist believes, and which is also the god of modern confusionism; the god of nature, of stone and gold and silver, which belonged to the old religions of idolatry; and the Supreme God, who made both man and nature, and redeemed them both upon the cross. Those who tell us that they deny the existence of God are merely substituting one god for another.”

Egocentric manipulation of nature and experimentation of human beings tramples on the laws of God, and I fear we are on the brink of something catastrophic. In recent years we have seen an untold number of devastating natural disasters. I think the earth itself is rebelling over the insults hurled at our Creator. I would presume that most people alive today don’t know just how close we came to a nuclear holocaust in October 1962. It’s my belief that God spared us because we as a nation at that time were a more prayerful and devout people. But my oh my how evil influences have proliferated since then. I’m not so sure that God will show us the same mercy. God is merciful, but just. Funny how immediately following 9/11 churches were once again filled to capacity. It was short-lived though because creatures have a tendency to become complacent.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
          In recent years we have seen an untold number of devastating natural disasters. I think the earth itself is rebelling over the insults hurled at our Creator.
          I'm sure you do think that there is a theological reason for these things but earth scientists... vulcanologists, earthquake guys, tsunami guys, oceanographers, hurricane guys, etc. can tell you the real reason for these natural events.

Just like LaPlace told Napoleon, there is no need to invoke the supernatural to fully explain natural phenomena.

If you knew the science you would not be making these odd statements. And there is no reason you can't understand the science. You simply choose not to do so. Your choice. I choose facts and knowledge and reality.

To each his own.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The iron curtain didn't fall, it simply shifted its boundaries.

Comment

The Cuban Missle Crisis

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
              <snipped> I would presume that most people alive today don’t know just how close we came to a nuclear holocaust in October 1962.
              You and I are about the same age Chris. I was 12 at the time and have vivid recall. It was the 911 of the era. The nation was truly terrorized - young children like ourselves grew up knowing life as we knew it could end an any time. The years leading up to all this also involved air raids in school - young children instructed to huddle under their desks or in hallways. For the first time in history, Technology allowed for graphic education regarding nuclear war. The ultimate reality show. Thank God for the years of The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, etc - group therapy as it turned out :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                The iron curtain didn't fall, it simply shifted its boundaries.
                I wish you were a biochemist. This thread wouldn't exist if you were.

I also wish hdugger was a biochemist just because I think she would be good at it.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Some interesting reading on the topic. Much merit in non-embryonic, or what is termed adult stem cell research: http://www.americanvoiceinstitute.org/StemCells.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    I also wish hdugger was a biochemist just because I think she would be good at it.
                    I loved the part of science where you designed and made sense of experiments. Now, if just *that* part took 90% of the time, instead of writing grant proposals and collecting data

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                      I loved the part of science where you designed and made sense of experiments. Now, if just *that* part took 90% of the time, instead of writing grant proposals and collecting data
                      I agree.

I also think Dingo would make a good biochemist just because he is fearless in jumping into the pool. He has a fire in the belly. If we could just harness it...

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

come to think of it - probably everyone who participated in this tread (plus Dingo by default) would have made a great biochemist .... would we still be arguing over the pros and cons of embryo vs adult stem cell research? Perhaps, more than likely

Comment

Enough! In the future, I think I'll just immediately delete threads that have nothing to do with scoliosis.
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                          X