What's a myelogram like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a myelogram like?

Anybody had a myelogram? I read a description of the experience on a couple of websites, and it sounds uncomfortable and terrifying (I know, what's the matter with me, I'm going to have this huge surgery and I'm afraid of a myelogram...). My surgeon recommends the test to ascertain exactly what kind of nerve impingement is causing my left leg pain, to see if he can do a small surgery to correct this part of the problem now, well ahead of the "big" surgery.

I would appreciate hearing about any experiences, good or bad.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
    Anybody had a myelogram? I read a description of the experience on a couple of websites, and it sounds uncomfortable and terrifying (I know, what's the matter with me, I'm going to have this huge surgery and I'm afraid of a myelogram...). My surgeon recommends the test to ascertain exactly what kind of nerve impingement is causing my left leg pain, to see if he can do a small surgery to correct this part of the problem now, well ahead of the "big" surgery.

I would appreciate hearing about any experiences, good or bad.
    Hi Stephanie..

I had a CT/myleogram about 8-10 years ago, and really thought it was a piece of cake. There's a very short amount of stinging when the novocane is injected. After that, the only discomfort came from having to spend time on a relatively uncomfortable gurney. I was just given the option of having another CT/myleogram or an MRI, knowing that the MRI wouldn't be as telling because of the type of metal in my implants. I chose the CT/myleogram.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, Linda. I guess sometimes it goes just fine. I've just heard horror stories about headaches afterward. You can always find horror stories about anything, of course.
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.

Comment

hey Steph
        i also had no problem...but i was careful to remain still afterwards for the hours required...that may be the most important direction...to stay flat on your back after the procedure is over, so you don't get the dreaded spinal headache that can be so painful!

jess

Comment

How many hours?
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8

Comment

I had a myleogram in St. Louis back in May. They inject the dye or whatever into your spine, and then do the procedure, which I think is sort of like and x-ray...the problem I had was that after the test, when you have to lay flat for a couple hours, I got a horrible, horrible headache. Well, after it didn't go away after a while, they said I was leaking spinal fluid, which was causing this unbearable headache. So then I had to go back to the myleogram room so they could re-inject something back into my spine to stop it from leaking. So yea, I didn't have the greatest experience with it.
            Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
            Still unsure of post-op numbers
            37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
            Scoli pics

Comment

hi Steph
              i dont remember the instructions now...but i was really afraid of the headache, because my mother once had it, and warned me...so i must have stayed flat for at least 2 hours after the procedure was finished...went home and went to bed about another 2 or so...just to be safe...
              the instuctions were probably for 3 hours total...i know i stayed at the X ray place afterwards for a while, with their approval....

if you do as they tell you, you'll probably be fine...

jess

Comment

I have had several types with different surgeons through the years. Some sites will mention after a lumbar block that they tilt the table to try to get the solution to flow, with mine, I had to roll over on a flouroscope. They either use a stud in the back, IV, or drink radioactive dyes.

I never had any problems at all with any diagnostic tests. They really are pretty easy.

When you lay down on your back, make sure you are comfortable. They will have foam wedges and knee blocks to help with this. Its like laying down in a tanning booth that moves.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi, Mojo's Mom!
                  I had a CT myelogram in August. I tipped the car seat way back on the way home and lay down for about four hours afterwards, and didn't have a headache at all. If you do get a headache from spinal fluid leakage that won't go away, they have you come back and inject a tiny bit of blood into the area of the lumbar puncture (a "blood patch") to seal the leak.

Oh, and have a extra large bottle of water waiting in the car to drink as soon as you leave - the more water you drink (and the sooner), the less likely you'll be to get the dreaded headache. Worked for me!

The lumbar puncture is almost painless, with the only sting being from the anesthetic they inject into your skin first.

One thing to know is that when the inject the contrast material into your spinal canal, the pressure can sometimes cause strong cramping of your legs and hips. No one told me about this beforehand, so it frightened the heck out of me. The doctor said to just "breathe through it" (sort of like labor pains) and it went away in a couple of minutes. If I had expected it, it wouldn't have been so bad. Apparently it doesn't happen to everyone, but it's something to be aware of just in case.

Other than that, the procedure was uneventful, from the tilt-table, to the CT scan, to the Coke and crackers afterwards. It goes by pretty fast.
                  Last edited by BadKitty; 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM.
                  Juliet, age 57
                  37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                  Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                  Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                  Surgery on 10/26/10
                  Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                  University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                  Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

It's been awhile, but I think they want you flat for a total of about 4 hours (from the time the dye is injected).
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

On September 20, I had a myelogram and CT scan. I agree with Badkitty that there was some discomfort in my buttocks and legs from the liquid they injected but it went away within an hour or so. It felt more like muscle pain than nerve pain. It wasn't bad. The injection is similar to nerve blocks, epidurals, or facet joint shots. The doctor, tech, and nurses really make sure you keep your head on one pillow so you don't get a headache.

Drink lots of fluids before and after to wash out the dye. The dye is clear so you really can't tell when it is washing through you.

I had no headache.

Irene

Comment

Thank you all. My nurse friend also told me that I will be absolutely fine as long as I follow the aftercare instructions.
                        Stephanie, age 56
                        Diagnosed age 8

Comment

I had one last year, and my post op instructions were to lay down for 12 hours. The year before, I had a spinal headache after a spinal tap, (because the stupid nurses failed to tell me you should lay down for the rest of the day and ended up with a HORRIBLE spinal headache that lasted 5 days) and they are to be avoided at ALL costs! Just plan on laying down for the full day you have the injection and you should be fine.

To be honest, it is a VERY uncomfortable test, by far the worst "test" I ever had. But it was a great test to have done because it gives very specific results. It's worth the pain. It's over pretty fast, and like I said, it's worth it.
                          Rebecca
                          Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                          wore night bending brace as teenager
                          Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                          herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                          fusion L2-3 November 2008
                          Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                          Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                          Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                          gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                          Before and After X-rays
                          My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Okay, so do you get them to bring you out to the car on a gurney, or what? And do you have to be lying totally flat or just reclined? I'll be having an MRI that day and no other fixed plans, so it should be doable, if boring.
                            Stephanie, age 56
                            Diagnosed age 8

Comment

I just walked to the car, then tipped the seat all the way back and started sucking on a bottle of water. When I got home, I walked in the house, and lay down on the bed with a flat pillow for around four hours. Everyone waited on me and it was mahvelous!

To me, the only things that hurt were the anesthetic skin injection and the buttock/leg cramping (which was pretty intense, but short-lived). I think the IDEA of them putting catheters into the spinal canal and injecting stuff was worse than the actual DOING of it. The doctor told me what he was about to do, and what he was doing at all times. And after the injection, the bad part was over - all that was left was the xrays and CAT scan, and they were pretty routine.

OH, I forgot to mention that the pressure of the contrast material causes a strange, muffled ringing in your ears, and you can feel pressure in your head. It doesn't hurt, though; just feels weird.

No, it wasn't fun, and I wouldn't want to have to do it again, but I survived, and you will too. The headache isn't a given - I didn't have one at all, so hopefully you won't either!
                              Last edited by BadKitty; 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM.
                              Juliet, age 57
                              37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                              Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                              Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                              Surgery on 10/26/10
                              Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                              University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                              Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Working...
                              X