No announcement yet.

Another Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're doing great Jamie. You must be thrilled with the way it's turned out, and relieved it's over.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jamie,
      Thanks for the update and your information. It sounds like you've turned the corner on the hardest part of recovery. I already am not sleeping at night trying to figure out how and where I'll walk if it's bad weather. Jan. sounded like a good time to have surgery months ago, but now I'm not so sure. My Y has a nice indoor track, but now that I'm hearing many my age do not drive until 12 weeks post-op, I'm going to have to find rides or walk someplace else. Hopefully, we'll have a mild winter! Keep posting, Jamie. It is so helpful!
      Jennifer, I just looked at your before and after pictures. It makes me want to have a waistline again! You look great! I will be fused the same as you. Can you twist at all? I want to be able to play golf eventually.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Jamie

Thank-you for the update. It sounds like you are doing exceptionally well! I am glad the drainage from your incision turned out to be nothing, and that you are feeling so good 3 weeks post-op. I am really thinking next summer it will be "my turn", so posts like yours are really helpful. Take care, and continue to heal. Lori
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

JamieAnn,

Wonderful to hear from you and thank you from a pre-fusion person for all the detail. We are hanging on every word. I'm sort of fascinated with what happens with all the muscle tissue being moved around and then having it all slowly rebound.

It sounds like your forum reading prepared you well for the physical aspect and the emotional.

Looking forward to hearing from you more!

Lorz- thinking I might be with you on that thought next summer....depends on how this winter goes.
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Jamie Ann,
            So good to read your updates and see you're doing so well. I haven't been on the forum for a bit, so I'm catching up. From your first update - I had a lot of drainage too. That container kept filling up for most of the time I was in the hospital (5 days) and it was unnerving, but they said it was normal. About the nausea (for those still having surgery) - the doc recommeded I put in a patch (transderm) before surgery to help prevent nausea. With all the other stuff you had to do b4 surgery, this would have been the easiest part. The constipation was very tough in the beginning for me too. I took senecot and colace to help. I felt like I was passing rocks when i first starting going. That's great you're walking alot too. That has helped me I think enormously. Walking definately eased the pain for me, it would be hard to get going and then my back would feel alot better. Again, so glad to hear about your road to recovery.
            Debra
            Debra
            Age 45
            Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
            Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
            Fused T4-T12
            Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
            Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I'm so glad to hear your progress. My date for surgery is Dec. 7. I am 65 and don't know if recovery is more difficult the older you are.

I am a very active person and don't always have patience with myself. I know that recovery will take much patience and, from reading the forum, I am understanding the expectations. My fusion will be T8 (9, or 10) to the pelvis.

Do people get to be "pain free" eventually, or is that an unrealistic expectation?

I was thinking about that as I went shopping today and wondering when I could walk through a store and not hurt because I have stood on my feet too long or walked too long.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                Jennifer, I just looked at your before and after pictures. It makes me want to have a waistline again! You look great! I will be fused the same as you. Can you twist at all? I want to be able to play golf eventually.
                Karen, I can twist, and I can hit a golf ball no problems, but I am not a golfer, my partner is (a MAD golfer) and he thinks I would play ok if I put my mind to it. Physically, I am sure I could.

I think it would take 12 months though, because it wasn't until 12 months that my flexibility returned, well, most of it.

I certainly don't believe you will have to give up golf.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X