The most important item needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey Ed
    thanks for the lesson...i appreciate the concern...sincerely...
    i DO know that stuff...hard time practicing it...

when i could go to the gym in NYC, (and it was beautiful and fancy and REALLY comfortable...for those of us not big athletes, especially!) i drank fruit smoothies with frozen yogurt, ate egg white omelets, the whole nine yards...was 10-15 pounds (of lean muscle) heavier and healthier...

now, i often rely on sugar when in pain...quicker than alcohol..and tastes better...also, you wont get arrested for eating a chocolate chip cookie while driving...

i am currently becoming less and less of a meat eater...but every time folks start writing and waxing poetic over healthy eating, i cant help it, makes me want to pick up a pastrami sandwich...and i dont even like meat! must be the mischief in me

jess

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
      There's lying and there's not telling the Truth and then there's syntactic refurbishment. What next?
      There is science done by scientists, checked by scientists, and explained to the public by scientists.

Then there is everything else.

Only two categories. Simple.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Good info! Nutrition is very important for healing especially vitamin c and protein for rebuilding good health.

Just to clarify, diabetes has two forms...type 1 and type 2

My dd has type 1, and she eats very healthy and is slender, its cause is unknown. there is no cure.

type 2 is life style, and can be reversed at times with diet and exercise.

I just get this all the time with her diabetes, its autoimmune.

gracefully exiting now
        age 15
        Daughter diagnosed at age 13
        T20 l23 10-09
        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
        T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
        T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
        Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
        Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

food for thought

Amanda,

The smoothie recipe I posted will make you gain weight. It’s a body builders recipe. I lost 40 and had to put some weight back on while trying to heal, and I had a lot to heal.... Whew...Much better than slamming animal fat that your body can barely digest. Ground meats are death....Sausage and eggs, I can literally feel my arteries slamming shut! Whamo...like a bank safe! lol

I like most veggies.. I shy away from salads due to worrying about cleanliness..... I will always order a soup when at a restaurant, maybe a bean soup. They are a lot of work to make, so why not. Anyone can make a salad. If a salad, go real easy on the dressing. Real easy. I LOVE whole tomatoes. I will eat one, no dressing. Mmmm.....

I used a gall bladder diet when I was having gall attacks. I cut out most fats since I didn’t want to trigger another attack. I lost 18# in 2 months, and I wasn’t trying to lose weight. Remember that the body needs fats. I lost my gall bladder because of superfoods in staged surgeries lacking fats. No doctor will attest to this....but I have dated CT proof, and the radiologist noted this.

Avoid all artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods (like white flour) Is that all the stuff in the center of the supermarket? Just about. You get the idea.

Notice the "avoid column" in this site. I know, its tough.... Hang it on your fridge. I have all sorts of stuff hanging on my fridge. LOL It does sink in.......I realized that many foods are basically non-edible.
          http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladderdiet.shtml

I know. Hanging out in New York or San Fran with all those excellent restaurants, I would probably give up, and explode. Immediately walk away from the bakery. I usually run, I have to.

It’s a start. It’s a change, a necessary change, and an important one.
          We are talking about the condition of our immune systems here.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Awww....Ed...never a bagel??
            (of course, REAL original NYC bagels were very small, rock hard, flour and water type things...no huge, puffy donut style things we see everywhere today)...still sell old style ones on lower east side of Manhattan...i remember them from when i was a little kid in NYC!

no bakeries...what next, no Santa Claus...?!!

as the pain got worse, i relied more on my "DOC" (drug of choice).....sugar...
            the Chinese consider it a drug...it is indeed! sometimes it even works....

jess

Comment

Jess,

Oh no, I totally approve of Santa. Its bad Santa I disapprove of. Nothing worse than a bad Santa. LOL

Oh, I'm not veggie, I'm just anti crap! I will eat a little steak, just no fat. It doesn’t happen too often.

Try a whole wheat english muffin, with jam. NO butter.

Its just there are so many foods out there that really are bad news. After you read a few books, or visit a few web sites, you realize how much foods are altered. Chemicals, dyes, preservatives, hormones, etc. If it lasts more than 2 days, don’t eat it.

I like farmers markets and supporting farmers. It’s the real deal, and truly American. Support your farmers!

I did change my eating habits years ago after discussing these things with a few Doctors. I truly believe it saved me in my scoli surgeries. The change was worth it. I did not want to be taking cholesterol drugs for the rest of my life, it just didn’t make any sense to me at all.

I like sugar, but Nancy Reagan taught me to "just say no"
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

you are right..NOTHING worse than a bad Santa...gives one the chills!

guess it helped that i grew up without butter or salt...always have had low cholesterol..but sugar...well, sometimes shows high on blood work...sometimes not...
                i read a fascinating book when in social work school...."Anatomy of a Food Addiction"...amazing! the way foods work in the body...and the ones that act like drugs...i mean, i dont know if carrots are worse than chocolate...well, i do, but there are certain benefits to chocolate!

seriously, though...Dr Lonner gave me lab orders for nutritional profile, and once those results are in, maybe a nutritionist...which i dont need...just need the motivation and desire...i know the stuff intellectually...been reading nutrition books for years...

a "DOC" is a hard habit to break!

thanks, Ed

jess

Comment

Interestingly, my eating habits changed significantly after my surgery -- I found that I craved the healthy stuff, which wasn't always the case before. I now eat a lot of fruits and greens, although the occasional steak tastes really good too. And I don't think life would be worth living if I couldn't have ice cream.

All things in moderation......
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm with Singer, Jess, AND Ed,

If I try to cold turkey on all the fun things....then it can turn into a free-for-all. So I have to allow myself some exceptions. I work in an environment where most of the ladies and our token man are great cooks. We talk about food all the time and bring each other healthy and lesser-so snacks. I can walk away from 90% of it, but yesterday had to try the organic () cheesecake because it was someone's birthday. Today I had to bring my car in to the body shop for an estimate (a curb jumped up at me) and while waiting, I went to the coffee shop and had a stare-down with a scone. The scone won, and now I am sworn off of all bad guys for a week or so until the next contest.
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Jess,

Oh no, I totally approve of Santa. Its bad Santa I disapprove of. Nothing worse than a bad Santa. LOL

Oh, I'm not veggie, I'm just anti crap! I will eat a little steak, just no fat. It doesn’t happen too often.

Try a whole wheat english muffin, with jam. NO butter.

Its just there are so many foods out there that really are bad news. After you read a few books, or visit a few web sites, you realize how much foods are altered. Chemicals, dyes, preservatives, hormones, etc. If it lasts more than 2 days, don’t eat it.

I like farmers markets and supporting farmers. It’s the real deal, and truly American. Support your farmers!

I did change my eating habits years ago after discussing these things with a few Doctors. I truly believe it saved me in my scoli surgeries. The change was worth it. I did not want to be taking cholesterol drugs for the rest of my life, it just didn’t make any sense to me at all.

I like sugar, but Nancy Reagan taught me to "just say no"
                      Ed
                      Just say Maybe.
                      Amy
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

hey Amy
                        i know about those "stare downs"...
                        and the "call outs"...chocolate used to call my name if i ever had any in refrig!

jess

Comment

"Call-outs"! Jess, I love it. Never heard that one before, and I'm taking it to work with me and using it first chance I get....

Then I have my salad and chicken and not-enough-dressing for lunch. sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................
                          Amy
                          Exercising to correct

Comment

I've been enjoying this thread because nutrition has always been an interest of mine. I'm a big vegie eater, always have been, and in the last 6 months we started a vegie garden. It's so easy! I don't know why we didn't do it years ago, or why others don't. We bought in organic soil and we don't use sprays. Every day I wander out and graze on fresh picked snow peas, green beans, radishes and cherry tomatoes.

For lunch I make a huge salad sandwich (I make my own nutty/seedy/grainy bread which I love) using the various types of lettuce leaves which we have in the garden, with tomatoes, grated raw beetroot etc. We take the lettuce leaves off the plant and the plant continues growing.

Every night we add some silver beet, pak choy, bok choy, butter beans, tomatoes, leaks, parsley (boy do we have parsely!) or peas to our meal. And we only have a small garden. Soon we'll abandon most of it for the Summer. The heat and the bugs (5 inch grasshoppers) and caterpillars, are too great a foe to battle. I don't mind sharing, but I give up when they don't leave me any. I will miss not having fresh veg. for a few months, can't wait to try some new varieties next year.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I was really enjoying your post until I got to the part about the 5-inch grasshoppers -- aaaaaugh!
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X