Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Items needed after surgery

Hi everyone,

I know this has been discussed but I just can't find any threads.

I am wondering what items I need to have ready when I come home from the hospital. I am scheduled Oct 11th for a fusion T9-sacrum with pelvic fixation, as well as disc removal/TLIF's at several levels. I was given about a 50% chance of needing an anterior procedure a week later if he can not free up the lower nerve roots safely from the back.

I have talked to several patients who had a similar surgery as mine done by my surgeon. One suggested I get a hospital bed, and she told me how much she used hers. She said it was helpful to have a bedrail to help with positioning in bed, as well as getting into bed.

So before I run out and arrange for a hospital bed to sit in the middle of my living room, I am wondering from others who had lumbar fusions, do you think it would be helpful or necessary?

I have my pre-op appt on Tuesday, and I'm thinking I will find out the recommendations for other items (walker?).

I appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone has. I am getting SO nervous.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Hi Gayle,
    My fusion is also T9 to the sacrum and we are similar in age. We have no downstairs bedrooms in our home, so I also wondered about a rental hospital bed. As it turned out, I could manage the stairs okay, although I had a few caveats in the beginning. For the first 4 weeks, I would only traverse the stairs with my husband next to me just in case I would start to get wobbly. After 4 weeks, I could handle them independently. In the early weeks, I would only come downstairs maybe twice a day. My husband would bring breakfast upstairs to me and I would come downstairs for lunch and dinner.

I was given my walker at the hospital and I also purchased a raised toilet seat at the hospital. I purchased 2 long handled grabbers and have ended up using cooking tongs (with silicone coated tips) as short handled grabbers.

I'd be happy to talk further if you like...send me a pm
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Hi Gayle...

You will probably have a visit from an occupational therapist while you're in the hospital. If they think you need something like a hospital bed, walker, raised toilet seat, etc., they'll either give them to you, or arrange for them to be delivered. If you do it that way, you're far more likely to have it all paid for by insurance.

Best of luck with your surgery. I'll be very interested in following your recovery, as I won't be too far behind you. I was hoping to wait and have my surgery in Spring 2011, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it that far.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Gayle,
        I had a revision in March, 2 years after my original surgery. I did not need a hospital bed with either surgery, and was able to navigate the stairs to my bedroom at first with help from my husband and just a few days later , alone. It's not really the inability to go up and down stairs, it is energy level and weakness. This gets better and better every day. My walker was given to me in the hospital so don't go out and get one. I did not need a raised toilet seat either. I also have never used grabbers although alot of people do, LOL I use my toes to pick things up... and squat down. Good luck with your surgery :-))), keep us updated on your progress and recovery...
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I think Linda's advice is excellent. Wait and see what you will need at the time because we are all different. And if you can get your insurance to pay for it, all the better. I didn't need any of those things but at nearly three months, my knees were aching when I crouched down to pick something up so I bought a grabber. A week or two later, the knee soreness inexplicably disappeared so I used it for approx 10 days after which the grandkids had fun with it. If you're lucky, you might not need any aids.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I agree too. Almost all of the things I needed were provided by OT at the hospital and paid by insurance. After I was dismissed my husband picked up a few other things-- an extra grabber, a shower seat and hand-held wand (is that what they're called?), which was really useful... You may not need something like that with a lumbar fusion. I'm excited for you, Gayle-- it's coming up so soon!

Linda--I'm sorry to hear of your impending surgery. I know you had said things were getting worse. Keep us posted, please. We sure care about you!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Very good point about the "wait and see" approach to post-surgical aids.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking into surgery at a location distant to my home base, though. How does that work - especially when you're out of state, insurance-wise? I already see that BCBS doesn't speak the same languages across state lines. Feels very Balkanized.

Guess it behooves us to come tp surgery with phone numbers of local (out of town to our distant surgeon) med supply houses and whatnot.

That is, behooves me to give such info to helpers who will be conscious and alert as I don't expect to be able to organize such issues after surgery. Not so great at it, under ordinary circumstances , especially keeping on top of receipts, etc...
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

One of the most important thing to have ready post-op is a couple weeks worth of meals in your freezer. Make all of your favorites and comfort foods and have them ready. Also, have someone come in and clean and do your laundry for a few weeks. My husband and teenage kids were great when I had my revision surgery, but I was glad I had frozen a couple weeks worth of dinners!
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                X