Foofer
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

• I think overeating, no matter what foods eaten, is the skids for me. Yesterday was not so bad. Tons of cooking for two days, no indulging, very little "tasting", and then only ate a little too much but with no hiking or significant movement...had to work today and had no food with me- hard to believe because there are enough leftovers in the refrigerator to feed the whole town, but I could not look a turkey sandwich in the eye. So- ordered in at work and it was unappealing but ate it anyway, a high calorie concoction masquerading as health food. Mistake. Then came home and overate some more. Humbling. Tomorrow is a fresh day, right? Progress not perfection. This is where I have to catch myself and not be a defeated perfectionist- the all or nothing downfall.
      Amy
      Exercising to correct

Comment

• Beautiful snow pic. I love the snow but am not so good driving in it which means I'm very thankful we don't get much snow here on the Island, however this year it's supposed to change and we're apparently getting a tonne of snow and cold weather while Ontario is supposed to be on the mild side. I guess they deserve a break from all their cold winters.

I still find it a bit odd that you US folk have Thanksgiving so close to Christmas... so much turkey and such so soon!
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• World Cup Race Course

Elisa,

I've been following your son's story and wish you all the best. I'll look forward to your bus adventures and all reports on Shriner's. I never knew much about it until this forum. Seems like such a great thing. I also worry about that chin-up bar and your misadventures.... I hope that item is foolproof and safe. Down pillows on the floor doesn't cut it for me. Call a carpenter!

My secret to driving in the snow is to have studded snow tires that I never let get worn...otherwise, I'd be sliding into everything. More costly in the end. I drive like a priest in winter.

And yes: Who DID decide to station Thanksgiving so close to Christmas? It sets up a food and party situation that is designed to test anyone! Who do I call to change this travesty?!

I'm feeling back on track and better every day. Hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm happy to be back to my new normal.
          Amy
          Exercising to correct

Comment

• One more day....and I think I'll continue right into December with modifications. There are several events coming up, so I might try to include one of this or that (occasional wine or dessert), but I really do feel pretty great and would like that to be the bottom line. I have a daily list of exercises that I've been compiling and want to commit to every day. I now completely enjoy and crave the walking and feel no temptation to stop. Before this November, any split- fingered fast ball would abort the mission- snow, dark, wind, feeling too tired...Now those do not apply. I love leaving my car parked. My camera will stay in my bag, but not in the "have to" realm....

More to come and less to come.
            Amy
            Exercising to correct

Comment

• The Finish Line

No finish line on this project.

The main lesson learned: Slow down, look around, and enjoy the simple things again.

Hugs to all my scolibuddies out there everywhere...
              Amy
              Exercising to correct

Comment

• hey Amy
                thanks for that great offer...love to take you up on it some time...i've never been to Colorado...unless flying over, on the way to CA counts...)
                the big desserts will have to include hot chocolate! very hot!
                but i should've known you were from NYC...after all, attitude is everything...go NY!!

back in the day, when we were kids, we used to get huge snowfalls in all the boroughs of NYC...not so much anymore, though one blizzard goes a long way! i miss how the snow disappears fast in Manhattan, with all the folks who come in to work trampling on it! now, living in exile (CT...) i dont have that...snow lasts a lot longer here...and i am NOT good at driving in it either!

one day, i will make it to Hawaii...and maybe stay!!

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  back in the day, when we were kids, we used to get huge snowfalls in all the boroughs of NYC...not so much anymore, though one blizzard goes a long way!
                  I know! I remember huge drifts and school closings when I was little. There are pictures of my brothers and I in front of our house in Queens and it looks like the Arctic.

There was a huge snowfall last winter (and at the same time I was back in NYC for a visit!) which closed the schools but it had been something like 9 years since the last school closing. Most years there is barely any snow in NYC any more.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• congratulations

Hey ya'll!
                    Congratulations to the ones who participated in the 30 day challenge!! You can be proud that you have done something good for your mind and body. Time has gone so fast, and I feel as if my body is stronger after a month like this. My pain level has gone down compared to what it has been before.

I have learned 4 things from this.
                    1. If I feel tired after work exercise increases my energy level, and I feel great after doing the exercise.
                    2. Strengthening my core muscles and neck muscles can spare me from much pain every day.
                    3. Taking a walk every day can really do wonders
                    4. Doing instead of thinking about doing is key!

How are you all feeling compared to last month? How are the pain levels?

I have been very busy this week, and tried to stay away from the computer, because I feel like it drains my energy quite much. In January I will do another challenge and be more on the forum as well, for those of you who would like to participate in the challenge, feel free to join

Best wishes to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                    X