How folkscience can kill innocent babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
    Dingo is fighting the good fight for his son, and is managing to almost single-handedly hold open the discussion of non-surgical treatment. I consider him heroic, in his own small sphere.
    I consider him an armchair biochemist who largely posts counterfactual information and routinely makes unsupportable claims.

I'm not saying someone can't pick up biochem and come up to speed on this. I'm just saying he doesn't have the first clue about how much he is missing in achieving that and how his near random ideas on the subject don't map to reality.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• I see you :-)

To those who wish to laugh at patients and parents who have a real and passionate interest in scoliosis research .....

I wonder if you realize how often (when you decide to "rag" on Dingo and others), that generally speaking - you seem to be describing .... yourselves!!

Guess that's called projecting.

Comment

• Exsqueeze me but I am exquisitely aware that I am not a biochemist.

Ask me how I know.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Exsqueeze me but I am exquisitely aware that I am not a biochemist.

Ask me how I know.
          Me too. I know what I don't know.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            I consider him an armchair biochemist who largely posts counterfactual information and routinely makes unsupportable claims.
            I don't read the biochemistry posts - it's not an area that holds much interest for me and I don't see much way of testing it on a small scale. The torso rotation posts, and the modifications he developed for his son, are first rate and the only reason I decided to post in this forum.

Likewise, Christian's explorations of exercise and its effects are also first rate.

When I went into epidemiology (lo those many years ago) it was because I saw a real gap in patients' ability to share their separate "experiments" and results with each other. To see that gap being bridged, here and on other forums, is one of the greatest successes of the internet, IMO.

So, folk science ho!

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              Me too. I know what I don't know.
              Socrates says that the beginning of wisdom is realizing what you don't know. Or something close to that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                So, folk science ho!

Good one. Made me smile.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Also, no one is comparing me to Odone.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Also, no one is comparing me to Odone.
                    Yes.

It is completely understandable why some folks think Odone and Dingo are comparable. Dingo has an intense need to understand as apparently Odone did also.

I think Dingo would do better to tone claims like he can save an experienced researcher and past SRS president 20 years of work and things like that. It's as if he really thinks all these people are idiots and he can just sashay in and solve the problem. It's stunning actually.

If he did that then people would be more constructive in their responses I think. I have some sense of what these people did to get to a point of being able to do productive, contributory research and I just think it is unseemly and ignorant to trash them and their efforts as we have seen routinely from certain quarters.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                    X