exercise and scoliosis and HRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exercise and scoliosis and HRs

I have written in before about surgery requirements which are on hold for the time being. As I get older, I am finding my posture is really becoming poor (some for physical reasons related to the scoli).

And related to the scoliosis, my abdominal muscles have always been weak (getting weaker). Is there any advice on using Pilates to strengthen, given that I have 2 extensive HRs? Are there any good exercises to strengthen both body and back muscles.

I have a very sedentary job and generally lack ambition to do any fitness in the evening.

Thanks, Susan
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
    Spinal fusion 1961
    HR 1981 T3-L4
    Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
    Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
    [FONT]

Hi Susan...

Look for some DVDs and books written by Suzanne Martin.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I would recommend that you work with a physical therapist to get started, then ask for a home program. It is possible to do exercises the "wrong" way, which will cause you more pain.
      1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Swimming and working out in a pool are great! Even just walking in chest high water will help.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
        X