X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_hopkin...5tYW5zaG9vdHM-

The story is still developing ....

BALTIMORE – Paul Warren Pardus listened as a Johns Hopkins Hospital surgeon updated him on the condition of his elderly mother who likely would never walk again. Overwhelmed, he pulled a gun from his waistband, wounded the doctor, then barricaded himself in his 84-year-old mother's hospital room before killing her and himself, authorities said.

"I guess he just couldn't bear to see her the way she was," said Pardus' brother 59-year-old Alvin Gibson.

The doctor, identified by colleagues as orthopedic surgeon David B. Cohen http://www.hopkinsortho.org/david_b_cohen_md_mph.html was shot in the abdomen and collapsed Thursday afternoon outside the eighth-floor room where Pardus' mother was being treated. He was expected to survive. (OP Note: Another report states that the eighth floor is home to orthopedic, spine, trauma and thoracic services)

Jean Davis was being crippled by arthritis and rheumatism and had surgery last week at the world-renowned cancer hospital, but it didn't go well, said Gibson of Remington, Va. It was unclear what sort of operation was performed.

"I guess because he thought my mom was suffering because the surgery wasn't successful and she probably wouldn't be able to walk again," Gibson said about a possible reason for his 50-year-old brother's actions. "She was a dear, sweet lady. She just wanted to walk around like she did when she was younger."

Pardus holed up in the room in a more than two-hour standoff that led authorities to lock down a small section of the Nelson Building while allowing the rest of the sprawling red-brick medical complex — a cluster of hospital, research and education buildings — to remain open.

When officers made their way into the room, they found Pardus and his mother shot to death, he on the floor, she in her bed.

Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III said Pardus had been listening to the surgeon around midday when he "became emotionally distraught and reacted ... and was overwhelmed by the news of his mother's condition."
    Last edited by mamamax; 09-17-2010, 05:46 AM.

Very sad. I guess if someone had to be shot, Johns Hopkins was the place to be shot!

I hope Dr. Cohen makes a total recovery and is able to return to his surgical practice.

You know, being in a wheelchair is not the worst thing in the world. I am old enough to remember lots of old people in wheelchairs. I'm not sure why people nowadays think they should be able to escape that phase of their lives. Anyone having surgery or any other medical procedure, including just taking tylenol, need to face up to the possible complications and risks and be prepared for them. Especially in the case of an eighty-four year old, which just has to be considered higher risk than normal.

I suspect when our society realizes that it is bankrupt and can't afford to replace everyone's hearts and joints as they age, we will come to the conclusion that wheelchairs are okay again.

Comment

it is very sad but how on earth did he get in to a hospital let alone that one
      with a semi-automatic gun??? if they have plans for emergencies were are the detectors and security?
      Anna
      Braced: august 08-sept.09
      spinecor
      Pre surgery Curves: L90* & T55* degrees!
      Levels fused:T11-L3
      Post surgery curves
      L33*,T30*

Comment

That really sad i read that yesterday and so did my sister
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment