Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hip hip Hooray - a solution to the Bottom Line (for me anyhow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip hip Hooray - a solution to the Bottom Line (for me anyhow)

Rejoice all ye (about to be fused) with long waists and short arms!

http://www.bathroomsprayers.com//index.php
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Actually a great idea except....it's cold water coming out of that sprayer. I live in Florida and it might not be that bad, but try it in a cold climate and I bet you'd jump right off the toilet!
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
      Actually a great idea except....it's cold water coming out of that sprayer. I live in Florida and it might not be that bad, but try it in a cold climate and I bet you'd jump right off the toilet!
      I'm not positive it has to be cold with all the models but ANYTHING's better than having to rely on others to wipe my butt. That seems to be the, uh, "sticking point" for those who would otherwise be willing to help!
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

When I was in the rehab, they gave me a giant pair of salad tongs to use. At the dollar store, I purchased a regular to keep in my purse to use when not at home

Hope this helps

Melissa

Comment

Freedom Wand

If you type in "freedom wand" in Google, it has a contraption that can also be used with a razor for shaving your legs and toilet paper. I keep thinking my arms will be long enough for the wiping, but I don't want to have to ask my husband, so I may make the purchase to just be on the safe side.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Amanda,
            I'm not sure why you are thinking other people will have to do this for you? I never had to have help in the bathroom department in either one of my surgeries.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
              Amanda,
              I'm not sure why you are thinking other people will have to do this for you? I never had to have help in the bathroom department in either one of my surgeries.
              Well, since you ask...(Blech)
              It's for a number of reasons, some common (among our crowd, post surgical), some neurological, some idiosyncratic (my anatomy. because I DO have relatively short arms compared to torso) . I never used to be able to wipe the "right" way starting from when I was just learning (you know "front to back" ),

If I regain some of my lost 4" on height in the torso (where else?) I figger things that are already tricky, will definitely NOT improve in that department.

And that's just from the usual bending injunction plus stiffness. I.e. not even to speak of ghastly OTHER BTW (below the waist) issues owing to neuro problems.

Cord damage has led me to have "double incontinence". It's aggravated by constipation resulting mostly from narcotic use. That requires me to reach longer and perform even more elaborate BTW machinations - ones this doodad can hopefully assist with (according to the spec info).
              Last edited by Back-out; 09-13-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                Amanda,

When I was in the hospital and the beginning of rehab the nurses had to come in and wipe for me. Then I got my giant salad tongs,which at 4 months I still have to use. I cannot bend for enough to wipe. With the length of my fusion, I do not know when or if I will be able to bend enough to wipe with out my salad tongs.

Melissa

Comment

differences in thoracic fusion length - more/less function. The trade-offs?

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                  When I was in the hospital and the beginning of rehab the nurses had to come in and wipe for me. Then I got my giant salad tongs,which at 4 months I still have to use. I cannot bend for enough to wipe. With the length of my fusion, I do not know when or if I will be able to bend enough to wipe with out my salad tongs.
                  Melissa
                  Oh, dear, Melissa! Just what I was picturing for me. And not only the need for implements but needing to use unflushable wipes with them (ones that can jam my already easy-to-jam, sewer line)!

Whatever can one do with such tongs too - carrying them around everywhere? They can't be too sanitary or easy to maneuver with! It's a big improvement (emotionally) over having to ask family or intimate friends to "do the honors", but clearly this is still NOT a perfect solution. Hence, I so welcomed this hose-bidet appliance - cold or not!

And I note that your (Melissa's) fusion is only two vertebrae longer than naptown's.

Such differences are why I've been wishing and wishing to find some really to-the-point diagrams (even stick figures). Ones that would indicate what the difference is in range of motion, between various fusion lengths - especially vis a vis thoracic fusions.

It's the thoracic fusion that seems to be the most controversial and discretionary. It's a major agenda item my most promising potential surgeon has lined up to discuss at our next appointment. I hope he explains more of the trade-offs! On my own, even with this great site, I've been unable to determine much of what is gained or lost in function (by differences in thoracic fusion length).

There's been great debate here about what happens when one is fused all the way down to S1 and/or with pelvic fixation (re ability to sit comfortably, etc.). The only thing clear is (as usual) that it varies tremendously by pt; however, those last few levels incontrovertibly "cost" a LOT in function. Preservation of that extra mobility is universally considered so worth it, that surgeons and patients seem to avoid fusing those last segments ALMOST "no matter what".

That is, they leave them out even when it's a foregone conclusion that the first [!] surgery is mere temporizing -- that there will definitely have to be more (=extension) surgery down the road.

However, variations in thoracic fusion are spoke of little - the trade-offs. Yet this example shows clearly there can be huge differences in preservation of function/flexibility through fusing even slightly less. Up til recently I was not aware of this. Since, I've gotten the impression that the risk of PJK (serious!) is greatly increased by lowering the starting point of the thoracic fusion. But how much? No one says nor do they seem to know. Among trade-offs are as always, a shorter fusion -> shorter surgery time; i.e., safer surgery.

But what does this "cost" in the long run? If it costs a whole extra future surgery (extension/correction) because of PJK, that's pretty expensive in my book. Even just "knowing" , (=supposing) one could PROBABLY avoid more surgery later by starting higher the first time, seems like a no -brainer to me, in choosing a higher starting point. I can't imagine how I'll get through one OP first go-round, much less TWO--or -- more!). (Swallows hard )

Now I see it's not so clearcut, though. I sure wish there were a segment by segment diagram showing range of motion gained/lost in this decision. How else can one decide what one "wants" without knowing what the trade offs REALLY are? What an important /permanent decision to make with such inadequate information!
                  Last edited by Back-out; 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM.

Comment

There are flushable wipes that are sold in the toddler section at grocery stores. These are different from baby wipes, which are NOT flushable. (Found that out by accidentally flushing them and backing up my septic system in my first house--had to call roto-router!) The flushable ones are handy.

Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I didn't spend a lot of time reading about the product mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but does it have a dry function? I can't imagine having to wait.

In the current Earth Island Journal, there is an article on the amount of TP we use and all the trees we kill to do so. The author strongly recommends a product called the Washlet. It's expensive, but there are some inexpensive alternatives.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ashlet&x=0&y=0

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        I didn't spend a lot of time reading about the product mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but does it have a dry function? I can't imagine having to wait.

In the current Earth Island Journal, there is an article on the amount of TP we use and all the trees we kill to do so. The author strongly recommends a product called the Washlet. It's expensive, but there are some inexpensive alternatives.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ashlet&x=0&y=0

--Linda
                        Just noticed this. Having been posted when I was out of town it was outta sight when I returned. Glad I spotted it.

Looks handy though I still have questions. First of all, you asked about a "Dry function" relative to the doodad I linked. Good question! Hard to imagine how one saves on Toilet Paper - at least in an absolute sense - without a dry function. Does THIS one dry?

I think not. I guess w/ both then one needs to rely on just a LITTLE T.P. for the finishing touch. Still loads better than relying on it for the actual cleaning. Anything is better from GREEN POV than the old American style toilets and paper.

FWIW one of my inventions never brought to table had to do with an even more serious green problem - the lost water. Most wasted water is from toilets. THINK! We use the same amount of water for #1 as #2. Yet, for #1 we really only need excellent dilution (what's left isn't drinkable even if it does give a more powerful WHOOSH). Figured out I could get govt grants too!

Logical solution is a two stage flushing device depending on what's going down the chute. This innovation alone, would save about 1/2 (ALL) our lost H2O annually!! I fiddled around trying to come up with mechanisms to accomplish (divided basin, different flush triggers for water height etc.) -> MUCH respect for ye old commode!

However, when my Japan-traveling businessman brother pointed out it's already ubiquitous in Japan, I decided I had other places to spend my energy. Still don't know why it hasn't caught on except that I (FASCIST, Amanda!) have already decided that we need more government controls and here is one area. Maybe a HUGE incentive for builders installing them, would do it instead of penalties. This world is nuts...But global warming/climate control is the biggie and where is that going?

Anyhow, if anyone sees this - please explain why the first item that pops up from Linda's link costs more than ten X what the others do!? Also, hey, what ABOUT that "dry function"?? Something tells me we just have to get up a teensy bit damp. Have always been amused by men's little "flick o' the wrist" after their unfairly easy pee function (God must be a man, after all ).

Comment

I think the really expensive ones do have a blow drying function.
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I still use my "salad tongs" and they really work just fine.

The big ones that I keep at home I got while I was in rehab. I take a smaller one with me in my purse

Melissa

Comment

Is this a problem for everyone?

Is "toileting" a problem for everyone having fusion surgery? Or, is it some levels, if so which? Does it occur only during recovery? Or is it permanent that you can't reach because of being stiff?

Still considering surgery at NEBH with Dr. Rand T8-S1.
                              Thanks.
                              Irene

Comment

Working...
                              X