No announcement yet.

Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I had the hair loss. Washing my hair became a great emotional moment. I used Biotin too and it definitely helped. The first 2 weeks or so nothing--then the health food lady at the store said she had the same problem and took huge doses. It seems like I was taking 3 or 4 of Biotin 10,000 mcg. But it really did work. This summer it seemed like I was suddenly losing more than usual again and I take a very modest amount now. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My hair while always dry is very extra. Has any one else found this as well? My Hair is falling out also

Melissa

Comment

My hair has been dropping like flies the past 2 days. Glad I have a lot of it. I also am on thyroid medication so this is not too abnormal.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Swelling is normal post op. I didn't have it this time but did with both c-sections. It is all the fluids they pump in you.. or it could be severe constipation or/illeus. How are your bowel movements. You may need Mag Citrate if it's hard to go. Works wonders!!
          Janet
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            in the end, my waist size increased by 2 inches due to the change in shape from my construct. I had to buy all new jeans and slacks 2 inches larger.

What! Is this typical? I had been hoping that scoli surgery would actually give me a waist again, since I currently don't have one because my ribs are sitting on my hips on the right side (waist actually sticks out). I was hoping this surgery would help get rid of that sort of all-squished-up look in the abdomen, esp. if it lengthens me by stretching out curves. Is this not the case?? Need to know, thanks!!

Evelyn

P.S. I understand about post-op swelling; I'm talking about when recovery is complete.
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Don't panic people! The bloating is so common..it goes away in a few weeks. Don't worry. I only wanted to wear sweats the first few weeks anyway..and sleep a lot. I am approaching 6 months post op and am thrilled I had this done. It does help your figure and stretched my torso. People can't get over how much taller I look. And side benefit - I weigh about 5 pounds less now than before surgery. I had originally lost about 10 pounds, but was too thin, and have gained back some to fill me out a little. I will add some updated pictures to my after link below. Hang in there people!
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Evelyn, it does give you a waist, you will be amazed. The bloating disappears gradually. I didn't have the surgery for cosmetic reasons, but the cosmetic result was as stunning as the absence of pain. Perhaps I should add my before and afters to my signature for reassurance purposes.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Evelyn-

The surgery DOES give you a nice waistline. I was wearing a size 8 in jeans before surgery and am now wearing a size 4. My waistline was all screwed up before the surgery (my lumbar curve was a 58) and now it looks totally normal. My curve on the bottom is now 27 degrees. Even though 27 degrees is still a low to moderate curve, I don't see a visible hump on my lumbar spine anymore. Let me tell you, it is SO nice to be able to wear the correct size pants. Before, I had to buy them bigger just to fit over the "rib hump." This is one of the best positives about the surgery. Before I looked all shrunched up and squished. I went from 5'6 inches to 5'3 inches during my twenties (and I am only 31 years old) and now up around 5' 3/4 inches! My abs even look alot more flat after the surgery. Because of the reasons I listed above I am sooo glad I had the surgery.

My problem is now I am standing so tall and straight that the shoulder doctor explained this week that that is the reason my left shoulder and left side of my neck are having problems currently at 3 months post op. They are going into complete spasm because they are now aligned correctly and aren't used to that position. Before the surgery my neck was alot closer to my right shoulder so the left muscles of my shoulder, neck and back were overstretched for the past 15 to 20 years. I just hope these spasms go away over time. The doctor prescribed me flexeril and told me to take it 3 or more times a day since the spasms are so bad. He said the spasms are what made my neck and shoulder atrophy (since I wasn't using my left arm for the past 3 weeks bec. of the bad pain) and they are causing me to have pinched nerves in the area of my shoulder. This is the worst pain I have ever had (even worse than the back pain I had before surgery!) I'm just trying to think positive and hope that it will go away with time. Anyway, thanks Evelyn for thinking of me in my post about my shoulder. I'll keep you updated! Just trying to take it day by day.....

JenM
                  Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                  Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                  Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                  Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                  31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                    What! Is this typical? I had been hoping that scoli surgery would actually give me a waist again, since I currently don't have one because my ribs are sitting on my hips on the right side (waist actually sticks out). I was hoping this surgery would help get rid of that sort of all-squished-up look in the abdomen, esp. if it lengthens me by stretching out curves. Is this not the case?? Need to know, thanks!!

Evelyn

P.S. I understand about post-op swelling; I'm talking about when recovery is complete.
                    Evelyn
                    Don't panic! I am all stretched out now after my revision. I have a waist, I wear a smaller pant size and I just generally feel more even now. I even look better in a swimsuit! Except for the scar, but that's ok. I did not have problems with swelling outside of the hospital. Right after surgery I did, my face swelled up and my eyes were so swollen I couldn't even open them. This was just because of the 6 units of blood and fluids I received during surgery. But by the time I got home, I looked fine. You will be fine!!!!
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thanks, Kristy. You are very inspiring!!

Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                      X