Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon can you get your hair done after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the hair salon in our hotel the day after they released me from the hospital. I just wanted my hair washed as I was starting to go nuts. They propped me in the chair with pillows so I was comfortable reclining slightly over the shampoo sink and washed and blow dried my hair. I felt wonderful after that. I did it again yesterday. They were all so nice.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
      I went to the hair salon in our hotel the day after they released me from the hospital. I just wanted my hair washed as I was starting to go nuts. They propped me in the chair with pillows so I was comfortable reclining slightly over the shampoo sink and washed and blow dried my hair. I felt wonderful after that. I did it again yesterday. They were all so nice.
      Wow you were brave

Comment

I did 2 weeks after. I brought a pillow, it made me feel better It didn't hurt to get my hair washed. It felt good to let someone else do it. I colored my hair right before surgery and had a pedicure. Then I got another pedicure at 5 weeks. I cut my own toenails with no problem a couple weeks ago and colored my own hair last week.
        Janet
        Last edited by jsully; 09-11-2010, 01:29 PM.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Trades offs in function - especially for thoracic fusion length?

I wish someone could indicate just what differences make it harder/easier to cut toenails, lift arms (to do hair) and other difficulties which seem to vary so much between patients. I'm sure fusion length makes a big difference, but it sure doesn't seem to be the only or even main factor.

I know what physical functions matters most to me to preserve: being able to sit (to work at table top easel and laptop), and being able to wipe my bottom - WELL! In other words - independence in THE most intimate/urgent personal care and being able to work in my areas.

If I can't preserve these two functions, I'm not sure any trade-off - even in pain - will be worth it (can you tell I'm going through one of those spells of much reduced pain, that blows the minds of us awaiting surgery? ).

Someone said those of us awaiting a long fusion, need counseling about what to expect and I see the point as I think of my primary goals! Surgeons I've seen - variable in many ways - all DO seem to underplay loss of function and difficulty of rehab. I'd really like to know more, especially according to proposed fusion length. That goes extra especially because I will probably be part of the decision making for where to start the upper fusion, as it's more discretionary.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Does everyone but me have pedicures - or is it just after surgery?

Just out of curiosity, how many of you ALWAYS have pedicures? I've never had one in my life and I'm starting to feel odd (wo)man out! I'm not even sure I have friends for whom this a part of their beauty routine!

Or is this just something "everyone's talking about" because of the bending limitations post surgery? Will this be a novelty for others of you too (as it will be for me, if I give them a shot)?
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Did the haircut/color thing at about 5-6 weeks with no problem. Like Susie, I had my brace on and brought a pillow along. My hairdresser, who's more like a friend, would have come to the house if needed. I started the pedicure thing at about 8 weeks or so--had no trouble with the massaging chairs. My husband did my toenails before that but I think the pedicure thing is going to be a permanent habit. That's a really nice way to unwind!

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I've never had a pedicure either Amanda. I colour my own hair too. But I most certainly couldn't reach my toenails, even with my foot on a chair, in the first 12 months! Well, I could touch them, but not able to manipulate a pair of nail cutters.

Re the bottom wiping. There are gadgets available if you have problems. Apparently kitchen tongs do the job as well though it sounds tricky. The good news is, you probably won't have to use them permanently. And there'll never be a need for someone else to do the job, so scratch that one off your worry list. I have a fairly long fusion but could manage it myself, thank goodness.

Glad you're enjoying a bit of relief from the pain atm.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, how many of you ALWAYS have pedicures? I've never had one in my life and I'm starting to feel odd (wo)man out! I'm not even sure I have friends for whom this a part of their beauty routine!

Or is this just something "everyone's talking about" because of the bending limitations post surgery? Will this be a novelty for others of you too (as it will be for me, if I give them a shot)?
                  I've never had one... It always seemed kind of yucky to me to have someone messin' with my toenails. But that's just me. Maybe someday I'll change my mind. And I hated the year that poor hubby had to cut my nails. Of course, he didn't like it much either!
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I did have a hard time wiping the first week or so. Baby wipes definitely helped. As embarrassing as it is I did have to have my husband help the first couple times. As far as pedicures go, I don't always do them. It is more like a treat because the nail polish lasts so much longer. I also have always colored my own hair.
                    Janet
                    36 year young cardiac RN
                    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post

Hi Amanda,

Glad you are in less pain and onto other worries It's always something, isn't it? You ask the questions I never think about, and then I sit here and think, "oh yeah, how WOULD you do that?"

I have colored my own hair at times and also use hairdressers at times, depending on how my frugality resolve is weighing in. I hate doing it myself and put it off for days...I keep telling hairdressers that I want to let my gray grow in, as I don't have all that much of it. When I tell this to hairdressers, they save me from myself. One told me she would chase me down and pour it on my hair in the middle of town if I did that

As for pedicures- Love Them.
                      In late 2007 and mid-2008, I had bunionectomies and osteotomies w/ screws on each foot. My big toe used to grow behind my 2nd toe. It was ugly and painful- I had to change to different shoes at work three different times a day to stay in less pain. So now I love foot pampering, but only in summer. I make myself suffer through Oct- May without pedis. It's all expensive, but I tell myself it's part of my job description- have to be coiffed.

The girl stuff is fun.
                      Amy
                      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

Yes

JamieAnn,

I vote yes on having your hair done before surgery. Absolutely.

I wish you all the best in these coming weeks
                        Amy
                        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                        Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          I've never had a pedicure either Amanda. I colour my own hair too. But I most certainly couldn't reach my toenails, even with my foot on a chair, in the first 12 months! Well, I could touch them, but not able to manipulate a pair of nail cutters.

Re the bottom wiping. There are gadgets available if you have problems. Apparently kitchen tongs do the job as well though it sounds tricky. The good news is, you probably won't have to use them permanently. And there'll never be a need for someone else to do the job, so scratch that one off your worry list. I have a fairly long fusion but could manage it myself, thank goodness.

Glad you're enjoying a bit of relief from the pain atm.
                          Here is the "Bottom Buddy" you won't need any help if you use this with baby wipes! I can't recommend it highly enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Buddy-T...4291238&sr=8-1

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I recommend having it done prior to surgery. I had an appointment scheduled for one month after surgery and had to cancel. Couldn't go until 2 months after, and wow, was that uncomfortable.
                            Laura
                            62 degrees
                            49 yrs. young
                            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I had my hair cut before my first surgery it kept it out of the way
                              and I had my hair washed after my second one [I was too tired to have it done the first time] and it felt really nice
                              Anna
                              Braced: august 08-sept.09
                              spinecor
                              Pre surgery Curves: L90* & T55* degrees!
                              Levels fused:T11-L3
                              Post surgery curves
                              L33*,T30*

Comment

My hair

Just to join in the chorus: With both of my surgeries, I had my hair cut and colored right before my surgery and had no problem whatsoever going to the salon about 6 weeks post op. I have a long fusion and I can do everything I need to do. I have never had a pedicure so can't comment on that but it sure sounds like a great idea! I can reach my toes with some squirmng so I just do my own. I've always been Miss Independence, where there's a will , there's a way!
                                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                                X