Dr. Samuel Laufer and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Samuel Laufer and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of this doctor and if so, what your thoughts were regarding him. He operates out of Robert Wood Johnson, which I understand is one of the two top hospitals in New Jersey. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Carol

dr. samuel laufer @rwj

hi carol, i'm new to this site. i live in new jersey, outside of trenton. i've been to the scolisos clinic in new brunswick. i've been taking my daugther (9 y/o w/ a 51-48 degree s curve to children's hospital in philadelphia. i went to rwj a few years back and was asked why did i go there? i should stay at chop, which i am. dr. john dormans will be performing my daughter's surgery scheduled in apirl. can get you more info, if you want.
    sylvia (mom)

Comment

Syvia, thank you for responding. Why did they tell you to stay at CHOP? Is it closer to you?

Comment

chop is not that much closer to me than rwj in new brunswick. the doctor that i met at rwj knew the doc at chop and advised me of staying there.

Comment

I wonder who the doctor at rwj was who told you to stay at CHOP. We also considered going into New York City. We did meet Dr. Boachie who was really great and we were considering Dr. Neuwirth, but we decided to stay local. After meeting again with Dr. Laufer, we felt very confident with him and his staff at the hospital. Of course, now the waiting begins as our surgery isn't until June.

Comment

i don't recall the doc;s name, but who in your family is having surgery and how old?

Comment

Hi Sylvia. My son, who is 16, is having surgery in June. He has a 45 degree lower curve and a 31 degree upper curve. Dr. Laufer is a spinal surgeon who specializes in pediatric spinal surgeries. I spoke with two of his patients (well, emailed with one and talked on the phone to the parent of another) plus quite a few others, two in the medical field, who said he was really good. We met with him a second time and he spent almost 2 hours with us answering all of our questions. Anyway, after I had posted my initial question here, we did quite a bit of researching so I'm as confident as I can be, I guess. I still cringe at the thought of my son having to undergo this major surgery no matter how great the surgeon is and I'm scared, but I've read alot here and I know many others go through this and more and come out on top so I'm trying to keep my spirits up.

Comment

Hi Carol,
                Wow Dr. Laufer is my doctor, even tho I'm 46 he was watching my scoli since I moved to NJ around 23 years ago..6 months ago he said I need surgery...My 3 children have scoli and we see him for that...I recently had scoli surgery with Dr. Nuewirth in NY..I was very very pleased , he has a perfect office..never a problem calling me back...always got any appoinment I needed..but most important I had no complication from surgery..I did have a PE but that had nothing to do with the spine....anyway..Dr. Laufer does 3 or 4 surgies a week...and he only does pedi..which is good..I would trust him with my children....
                Last edited by spincon58; 02-11-2005, 10:27 PM.
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism
                complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                increasing pain at the T4/5
                point irratation heardwear

Comment

Connie! Small world huh? I asked Dr. Laufer about Dr. Neuwirth actually and he told me that they are friends and that he refers adults to him for surgery as Dr. Laufer specializes in pediatric surgeries. I'm glad you liked Dr. Neuwirth and had a good outcome! If any of your children required scoli surgery, would you use Dr. Laufer for them?
                  Last edited by carolnj; 01-07-2005, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Carol.
                    I'm not sure about that..B4 I chose Nuewirth, I saw maybe 3 or 4 other surgeons....so if I needed a pedi, I would get some opinions and than choose...take in consideration his infection rate..how long he is in the OR...ask his sugerical team some questions...investagate untill you are comfortable..good luck
                    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                    fused T4 -L3
                    Hip graft
                    Grown 1 1/2 inches
                    25/o upper T 15/o
                    53/o T 15/o
                    37/o L 6/o
                    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                    New York City

August 6, 2004
                    Pulmonary Embolism
                    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                    increasing pain at the T4/5
                    point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi all

my daughter is 16 and has a 45 upper curve and the doctor has recommended surgery. we went for a 2nd opinion and that dr. also recommended the surgery. We would like to schedule the surgery sometime in August.

We originally went to Dr. Mckeon (Pediatric Orthopedic) in East Brunswick. He works in the same office as Dr. Laufer. We then went to Dr.Farcy in Manhattan. Dr. Laufer and his staff is in our insurance pland and Dr. Farcy would be out of pocket. We were considering Dr. Farcy, but my peditrician strongly recommeded Dr Laufer.

Please give me any feedback you might have on Dr. Laufer.

We are obviously very nervous and scared.

Comment

Just wondering why these doctors have recommended surgery. Our orthopedics don't consider surgery until at least 50 degrees. My friend's daughter is at a 49 with a risser of 5 and she is 15. All three surgeons said she doesn't need surgery if they really don't want to do it. One even said that later on down the road if she wants to get surgery, the technology will likely be better, so no need to do it now.

You really didn't say that much about your daughter. So I am sorry if I am totally off course here. Maybe she has some issues that warrant surgery that you didn't mention.
                        Melissa
                        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

My 15 year old daughter went to Dr. Therrion who is in the East Brunswick group for years. Hew was a fine doctor. She was in a brace for 4 years and when her curves started increasing and it looked like surgery was a possibility we went to NYC and Phila for answers. We wanted a surgeon and hospital that did this type of surgery every day of the week. We choose to have her surgery at Shriners Hospital in Phila because we felt the surgeons there were some of the best in the world. Also it is a hospital dedicated to children and teens. I knew it would be a good enviroment for my daughter to recover and the staff would know how to deal with any pain my daughter would feel after surgery. My daughter had a spinal fusion at Shriners last year for a 45 degree curve. She was still growing and the curve was increasing at a rapid pace. She is doing wonderfully and I could not be happier with Shriners Hospital and her doctors and staff there. Also just so you know...Shriners is a totally free hospital...even though we have insurance. We never even had to pay a deductible. I was able to stay with her the entire time she was in the hospital. I know how scared and nervous you are. Good luck with any decision you make.

Comment

Okay, I know this was from ages ago and no one will probably ever read it but...

I just wanted to give a "shout out", in a sense, to Dr. Laufer and Dr. Stankovits at East Brunswick. They really are amazing doctors, and I trust them so much! I just had my spinal fusion about a month ago and I wouldn't have wanted any other surgeon performing it. They really take the time to listen to you and answer and questions and concerns you have. They aren't "knife-happy" and actually seem to care about you as a patient, not just their pay check. And if surgery does end up being necessary, they are both very experienced and have done a few thousand spinal fusions over the years. I would definitely recommend going to them. They are the top pediatric orthopedic group in the state.

Most of his surgeries are done fairly quickly. Mine was a little over four hours, and that's counting the prep time when I was first given the anasthesia. Because the surgeries are so short, the infection rate is very low.

And I basically got complete correction, which is awesome!! By the way, the whole staff at RWJ is also top-notch. It is a great hospital!
                            Last edited by danceISlife; 04-26-2008, 08:38 PM.
                            Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Working...
                            X