No announcement yet.

please respond with your recovery stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your surgeon will tell you if and when to donate. Not all surgeons require this. Mine didn't.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Mine gave me the option to donate or use a blood bank. I chose not to donate, and to use a blood bank. I didn't want to go through the donating and possibly getting weak from doing that. I wanted to concentrate on being as healthy and as in as good shape as possible before my surgery. I did need2 units of blood after my surgery, which they got from a blood bank. They just administer it through a bag, just like they did with my other medications, I believe. There was no unusual process or anything different that I remember...although I was on heavy meds at the time!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Quick recovery, better than expected!

Hi lashawn, I came onto this forum before my surgery in may and read heaps of posts. Some scared me more and some gave me hope. But in the end I think finding out as much as possible prepared me for anything. My recovery was so much better than expected. I was out of bed the day after surgery. I only walked down the hallway with th physio but each day got easier. I showered unassisted the day after op too & left hospital on day 5... I stayed with mum for a week but could look after myself. I was constipated for a while but didn't lose my appetite.. I Was walking everyday and pushing a little further each time. My partner and I had sex after 3 weeks and just took it slow but it got easier each week I was driving at about 5 weeks and back working part time at 8.
        Now I'm working full time and jut got a new Job. I've started swimming and walk 3 kms each morning and 8kms on sat... My tummy has softened as I can't do sit ups any more but hopefully the swimming will start helping that soon. I've still got numb shoulder muscles and get really bad itches but mostly things are great. I get a little pain most days at the end of the day but I think in ) months I'll be good as new... I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how you go and what you decde to do. Good luck
        Last edited by kassie84; 09-09-2010, 07:04 AM. Reason: Errors
        Kellie 25yrs
        Melbourne, Aus
        Diagnosed 1998- brace for 3 years
        2006 curves showed progression
        Before surgery T45* L43*
        25/5/10 posterior fusion T4-T11
        Post surgery T<20* L27*
        Fingers crossed for more improvement on lumbar before 12 months!

Comment

Hey Kassie84,

Wow you had a lightening quick recovery, more like a kid than an adult! That's great.

Can I just ask you why they only fused your upper curve? Was your lumbar compensatory even though it was about the same size as your upper structural curve? Were you able to bend it out?

I thought when the two curves are about the same size that they are both stuctural but maybe I am wrong about that.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X