No announcement yet.

please respond with your recovery stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recovery time went (well i thought) really well. In hospital 8 days, came home, slept like a baby, went off pain meds on day 15, taught dance routine to 5 men who can't dance at about the same time. At 8 weeks post-op, my surgeon thought i was doing extremely well and didn't need to see me until 5 months post-op unless i had any problems. My hubby took two weeks off work, but i had a friend who volunteered to do my ironing and another friend who has a cleaning business did my housekeeping for 6 months and my daughter helped out alot on her days off. I was pretty much able to do a lot on my own - with alot of care of course. I started driving at about 3 months. I was allowed to drive at 8 weeks but i was so happy that i was able to walk without pain, that i just wanted to walk everywhere! I began walking at normal pace at around 8 weeks. As you can see, the 8 week mark for me was a big turning point. I did lose weight, but don't know how much as i didn't weigh myself and i have regained it back as my hormones are all out of whack due to another issue. I have not had another surgery and i hope i dont need to. I have had a couple of issues this year, but nothing major. I am happy with my outcome - painfree, nice posture (except for J. Lo butt) and being able to partake in social activities once again. Best wishes on your journey.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I found that sleeping on thick memory foam helped a lot... still use it a year and a half later. Immediately after surgery, I actually preferred to sleep in a reclining chair with pillows all around me. My doc told me to sleep on my side with a pillow in between my knees, but I can't say I ever followed that advice...

Comment

Hi LaShawn,

Welcome.

I'm with you in the "before" category but with no surgery scheduled- still I'm glad you asked the questions. It's always good to see an organized list of posters relaying their experiences.

I was hoping you would get more responses to the sex question. Ed was brave.
        Anyone else? Ed definitely should get the Post of the Month award. I was going to add some comments, but I won't because then I would be in competition for the award, ya know?

Anyway, LaShawn...hope you keep posting and asking questions...
        Amy
        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
        Exercising to correct

Comment

re:

Yes, no one has really responded on the sex question hehe. I was wondering since my hubby and I are very active. I am note talking about during the recovery period. but...you know.
          Last edited by fusedspine; 09-04-2010, 11:23 AM. Reason: missing word
          LaShawn Hardy
          34 years old
          Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
          36 degree curve Thoratic
          Lumbar natural fusion
          Surgery Date 1/31/2011
          T2-L1
          Dr. Herkowitz
          Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
          hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

Comment

Sorry completely missed the sex question but as someone said to me, when i asked the same question - 'where there's a will, there's a way'! For the first 6 weeks, there was no will, so there was no way.! hahahaha
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Spinal fusion surgery shouldn't change your sex life in the long-term, unless you're fused to the sacrum. If you are fused to the sacrum, it can change how you do things, but it shouldn't change the outcome.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

If you do a search on the sex question, it's been brought up many times in the past and written of rather openly.

OK-- I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything for quite awhile, but then remembered someone had used them term wild monkey sex or something like that... so when I typed in monkey, I found the thread. It was under "intimacy"-- here's the link. There may be others out there too. I sure have a hard time with our search mechanism though. (Oh, I guess it will highlight the word monkey for you all... )

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ghlight=monkey

BTW-- this is pretty funny/interesting reading regardless of your age, but not for the under 18 crowd. That's why I remembered it. (Because it was funny and wild...)
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM. Reason: adding on after doing a search
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

re:

LOL, That link REALLY helped LOL. OMG
                  LaShawn Hardy
                  34 years old
                  Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
                  36 degree curve Thoratic
                  Lumbar natural fusion
                  Surgery Date 1/31/2011
                  T2-L1
                  Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Susie*Bee,

Have I told you lately that I love you?
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

Foofer-- you just made my day!

BTW-- the only reason I remembered "monkey sex" was because it was way beyond me... the whole discussion had me with my jaw hitting the floor, my eyes popping, and me laughing so hard it hurt. But I was feeling so happy for those who were obviously enjoying their love lives so much. Life is short.

Here's another link:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ht=intercourse

I know there are others, but I just can't find them. Good luck if you try some searching.
                      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM. Reason: add another link...
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

"...unless you're fused to the sacrum..."

i need to be fused to pelvis...which surgeon claims isnt much different than the sacrum
                        and i cant even imagine...i mean, i can try to imagine, but i dont get far with my mental images!

jess

Comment

Don't you worry about a thing Jess. From someone who knows.

I have to say, Susie Bee must win the award for greatest search skills! "Type in monkey...."
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks for the info, Jen G.

jess

Comment

Hi! I am 5 months post op and very glad I had the surery. I lost about 12 -15 pounds and have gained it back, but look more stretched out and balanced, so still look like I weigh less than before surgery, even though I don't. I went back to work after 3 months. It sounds like a long time to be off, but it went fast. I am not in any pain, but have a mild burning/tight feeling in my back where the nerves are growing back. And I still have some numbness in that area for the same reason. Good luck to you! We have all been there. I'm glad I did it!!!!
                              Laura
                              62 degrees
                              49 yrs. young
                              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

re:

How do you go about donating blood for your surgery?
                                LaShawn Hardy
                                34 years old
                                Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
                                36 degree curve Thoratic
                                Lumbar natural fusion
                                Surgery Date 1/31/2011
                                T2-L1
                                Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Working...