IM BACK!! :) My back is popping?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM BACK!! :) My back is popping?!?!

Hello fellow Scoli friends. Sorry I have not been on for such a long time....its only becuz I was doing so well.....and of course, I have 10000 other things going on at home! So.....Ive had a constant mild - strong pain in my lower back on the right side, where i had my pain pre surgery for about 7 weeks now. Its gotten progressively worse and more painful...actually more so than before! Of course nothing is helping....grrr!! And to boot, even with small movement....just barely moving....my spine has been popping like crazy!!!!!!! And my husband can hear it!!! Its not painful...more annoying with a weird sensation. Im sure Im not the only one...which is why Im writing. Anyone else have this happen? If so, what the heck is it and why? Just sitting here, typing....its popping! UGHHH!!

How has everyone else been?????? Talk to me!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

My back is popping all the time also. I don't know what it is either. At least, it doesn't hurt.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Lynn

You might want to stop typing. Kasperski has a virtual keyboard... I know that was terrible, you can kill me later.

7 Weeks is a long time for a pain event. You might make that call, see what your surgeon thinks. Are you popping above or below your fusion?

I had some popping in my recovery, but it ceased after 6 months.

We missed you around here you know. We would like it if you "popped" in a little more....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

My back started popping just a few months ago. I asked my surgeon about it in August and he said it was ok. First he asked what kind of actions I was doing-- things like with my hands in front of me (making salads, washing dishes, etc.) I am over 3 years post-op. Anyway, he said it was ok. I can hear mine pop too. If you are concerned, you should check on it when you get the chance.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Mine's been popping off and on from a few weeks after surgery. I asked my surgeon and he said it was normal, nothing to worry about so I haven't...but it does freak me out at times. I have to say though, it hardly happens any more and I'm at about 5 1/2 months...I guess its just part of the healing process.

Rich
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
          A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
          Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
          Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I have the same exact problem. I didn't have any pain or popping. I then started going to the gym and took it too serious and started getting a "pop and crack" in my lower back. My lower right back started to hurt like pre-surgery as well. I know what you are going through. My back pops like a mother when I get out of bed really bad. It doesn't hurt, but it feels weird. Doctor said it was fine and my xray looked great and to keep working out. I take breaks because it hurts after working out and I don't want to push it even if my doctor says I could.

Comment

I never understood the popping, and I still don't. Prior to surgery, EVERY time I stood up after sitting for a while, I felt 3 or 4 pops/cracks in the lower back. Now, after surgery, I hear a pop once in a while--for instance, the other day I rolled over in bed and heard one pop. It doesn't hurt and I've never asked the Dr. about it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I know Pam (TXMM) mentioned it a few times-- something like a tendon rolling over bone or something. Someone could do a search...
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Ed!! I miss you guys too & I will "pop" on more frequently! I loved your response...too funny! LOL

I did go see Dr Tribus.....did Xrays....yay...more xrays....and all of the hardware is right where it was at the 1 yr mark...nothing loose or broke...which is good. We think it was a strained/pulled muscle. I have been stretching and have been pushing it a little much on the right side (leg) becuz its sooooo tight. I am actually stronger and more flexable on the left, which is odd as Im a "righty". They want me to do more PT...water therapy. We will see.....however, the good news is is that its feeling MUCH better now. Thank god! And the damn popping.....said, like you all said, "normal & ok as long as it isnt accompanied by pain"...which its not. Its in the middle of my spine...so mid fusion I guess. Weird...and annoying but I see Im not alone with this one!

Well, back to work.....ughhh.....Talk with you guys soon!!

hugs!!
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                  At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                  At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                  Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital
                  **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

"Why is there a popping sound when a joint is adjusted?
                    Adjustment of a joint may result in release of a gas bubble between the joints that makes a popping sound – it’s exactly the same as when you “crack” your knuckles. The noise is caused by the change of pressure within the joint that results in gas bubbles being released. There is no pain involved." http://www.acatoday.org/level2_css.cfm?T1ID=13&T2ID=70

Makes sense to me.
                    Surgery scheduled for January 2011
                    by Charles (Ted) Shuff
                    http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
                    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
                    -- Samuel Johnson
                    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
                    -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X