CT Mylograms and panic attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Mylograms and panic attacks

I'm having a CT myelogram on Wed. and I have major panic attacks. Can someone tell me what exactly is going to happen so maybe I can get my nerves under control? I had asked for them to put me under, but that's not an option for this apparantly.

Originally posted by blue chaos View Post

I'm having a CT myelogram on Wed. and I have major panic attacks. Can someone tell me what exactly is going to happen so maybe I can get my nerves under control? I had asked for them to put me under, but that's not an option for this apparantly.
    Hi...

There's apparently a vast range of reactions to this test. I had a CT-myelogram done several years ago. I as a little anxious about it, but felt it was about it to be almost completely painless. In my case, they had me lie on my tummy (they padded the table with pillows so it wasn't terribly uncomfortable), while they injected a small amount of lidocaine (sp?). That was the most painful part. I felt a very quick, but strong pinch. They waited a few minutes, and then inserted the needle for the injection of dye. I did not feel anything during the injection. They then manipulated my body to get a good look at the nerve roots, etc. When the myelogram was done, they took me over to the CT, had me roll back and forth between gurneys a few times to distribute the dye, and then did the CT. The CT was quick. I was positioned face up on the bed of the CT. The bed was moved into the CT. They told me to hold still (it only took a minute or so), and then the bed was moved out of the CT.

I was taken to recovery, where I had to lie still for awhile before being allowed to get dressed and go home.

Hope that was helpful. This might be helpful as well:

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=myelography

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had a massive panic attack on the table, even though I had been given Valium.

Comment

That is too bad

Melissa

Comment

Working...
        X