Travel Question after Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Question after Surgery

Hi - I'm scheduled for surgery this coming Tuesday, Aug 31. T3 or 4 to sacrum. My husband has a meeting in Florida in October and wants me to go with him. It will be exactly 7 weeks out from surgery when I would go. Those of you who have had surgery, do you think I'll be good to go? My doctor's office said that I could go if I want. My thoughts are to go ahead and make the reservation and we can always cancel my ticket (and reuse later) if I don't feel up to it. But I'm thinking that these little progress goals along the way will be good for my recovery. Thoughts?
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Hi Lisa

I always buy travel insurance..... If you buy a ticket, plan on a change, if needed.

7 weeks... I would say no.

Its pushing it. That would be a test for sure.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

How long a flight is it?

Will you be traveling in coach?

Melissa

Comment

Thanks, Ed. I know you're our experienced traveler in the group but haven't been on the forum long enough to know how soon you started all of your travels. This would be a "get to Florida and lounge" sort of trip while Chuck is in meetings. I had a short fusion but 5 hour surgery for spondylolisthesis (L4-S1) in Jan '09 and recovered pretty quickly and went on a short trip at 6 weeks. This is a much longer fusion so I guess the recovery will be a bit longer. I've always been a very active, never sick, never down sort of person. Just having trouble thinking I'm going to be laid up very long. But after reading all of the forum posts I'm learning how long it takes people to recover from this. Thanks for your input!
        Age 56
        Thoracic 68
        Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

Lisa,
          I'm with Ed. I don't think I could have done it at 7 weeks. The travel insurance is a good idea.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Melissa - it would be a nonstop flight and 2 1/2 hours. Coach but we may be able to upgrade to business with points. I'm also going to have to fly home from St Louis 2 weeks post op. Unfortunately there are no longer any nonstop flights between St Louis and Indy. Southwest stops at Midway(Chicago) and has the shortest overall travel time (3 hours) but at least they have full size planes so I can get up and move around. But the drive is 4 1/2 hours and I just think I'd be uncomfortable in the car and the doc's office told me we'd need to stop every 45 minutes to get out and walk.
            Age 56
            Thoracic 68
            Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

My husband told me that the last time he flew ( 2 weeks ago) the passengers were not allowed to get up and walk around less than one hour closer to when the plane would land. I do not know if this was a pilot choice or what. but I would what not want to have to sit for one hour without being able to get up and walk around.

Melissa
              Last edited by mbeckoff; 08-27-2010, 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

thanks, Melissa.
                Age 56
                Thoracic 68
                Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

Hi Lisa

I was told by someone that had this surgery that she flew from St. Louis to CA for a wedding 5-7 weeks out and did fine! She said she had fun! Mary Ann

Comment

I went camping and tubing at 7 weeks. Took a little more pain med than usual but did great!
                    Janet
                    36 year young cardiac RN
                    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Lisa,
                      Everyone is so different in how they recover so it really is hard to say if you will be able to fly at 7 weeks out. After my first surgery , in no way could I have traveled. I was in too much pain and could not walk upright to walk through an airport. After my revision though, I traveled to Florida 3 months later by myself, and other than fatigue I did just fine. As Ed suggested, I would buy travel insurance though, just in case. I just realized your surgery is coming up soon!!! I will pray for you to come through with flying colors!
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
                        I went camping and tubing at 7 weeks. Took a little more pain med than usual but did great!
                        Janet
                        Wow- good for you

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess it's pretty much how long the fusion is and how quickly I heal. I will probably do the travel insurance.
                          Age 56
                          Thoracic 68
                          Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
                            Thanks everyone. I guess it's pretty much how long the fusion is and how quickly I heal. I will probably do the travel insurance.
                            You are just about my age and your fusion is about mine as well.

It is going to be a change that is for sure

Melissa

Comment

Travel after surgery

Just want to let everyone know that at 7 weeks post-op I was able to come to FL with my husband for his meeting. I'm feeling good and just relaxing. And it's nice to walk outside in the warm weather. No issues with the plane. My husband took care of the bags. We were able to upgrade to business class with points so that helped a lot. Return Friday and fly to St Louis Monday for my 8 week checkup. Flying over and back in the same day. Didn't feel like a 4 1/2 car ride each way.
                              Age 56
                              Thoracic 68
                              Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

Working...
                              X