Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Scoliosis Doctors

Hi,
    I'm going to have scoliosis surgery and am deciding between two doctors: Dr. Kirkham Wood at MGH and Dr. Frank Rand at NEBaptist. Does anyone have any guidance for me to choose between these two excellent surgeons?

I have adult idiopathic scoliosis, since I was 13. I wore a Milwaukee brace for 2 1/2 years as a teen, and my curve is now about 57 degrees lumbar and 43 degrees thoracic. I'm in constant pain and cannot walk or stand. I'm 46 years old and a single mother.

Thanks
    Lumbar Curve pre-op: 72
    Thoracic Curve pre-op: 43
    Thoracic Curve post op: 0
    Lumbar Curve post op: 2

Surgery date: January 11, 2011
    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist, Boston

I don't have any suggestions regarding either of the surgeons, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. I live in Vermont and am trying to decide between Boston and New York. I'm now 47 degrees thoracic/51 lumbar and I haven't been able to walk to stand for several weeks now. The pain is awful, and I can only imagine what you're going through. You're not alone!

Comment

Sorry I missed this one. Dr. Frank Rand did my surgery and even though I still have some nerve pain in my right leg, I am pleased with the outcome. I was headed for the "wheelchair" and Dr. Rand has given me my life back. He is very kind, compassionate and thorough and will give you all the time you need to ask questions. I can't speak for Dr. Wood because I never went to him. You can do a search on both Doctors to see what others have to say. I have seen more of Dr. Rand's patients on here that of Dr. Wood's. PM me if you have more specific questions and that way I won't miss your post. I usually look in the Adult section.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I am another vote for Dr. Rand. I traveled from Philadelphia to Boston to see him. i am also not pain free but I with all the other things that I have I guess I won't ever be pain free. Some of the back pain is completely gone. I am ok with the outcome and if I need more surgery I will be back in Boston.
        avis
        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
        X