What Should i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Emily

60 isn't the worst curve in the world, but it's pretty significant.
    A couple things to consider:

The older you are when you have surgery, the harder it is to come back from, and also there's a chance your curve could increase (mine did, and I wasn't diagnosed until I was 18 years old, had only about a 20 degree curve, had surgery at 20 years old for a 52 degree curve) even though you're through your growth.
    Also, smaller curves generally get better corrections than big ones.

Yes, surgery is a big deal, and shouldn't be brushed off as a small thing. I was a total mess mentally before my surgery. Terrified that I would never be "me" or be "normal" again. But here I am a year later, I can run, I can ride, I can do everything I did before, and that's only with 4 bones in my back not fused together. It's really not so bad. And most people who have seen my scar either thought it was pretty cool, or just plain didn't care. And my incision became infected and is about an inch wide at the top and pretty deep.
    Not nearly as tidy as the 3 other women and girls I know who've had it done. Their scars are all so thin and tidy that you wouldn't notice them walking down the street in a shirt that shows their back off...
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Blairf83,

You are the first person I've read that had an infection like the one my daughter seems to have now.
      It is at the top of her incision and is VERY wide and DEEP.
      It is about 3-4 inchs long also.
      I am praying it will not continue down bc I know that will mean more trouble.
      We have been babying it for 3-4 weeks and the progress is hard to notice. She is on antibiotics and we are going to see the Dr again tomorrow about it.
      He says it will heal but that is all the explainning we get. I guess bc it is a waiting game at this point.
      We are very sad at the delay of her recovery and of course frightned . Do you have any advice for us since I read here your scar seems like hers will look if the healing works.
      Thank you , mamakay
      now 16 yr old daughter
      with worsen 65 degree upper curve
      surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Oh good... I'm glad I'm not the only one to have that happen.

The good news is that at a year post op, it doesn't look so awful.

It took a good 2 months of nursing before it closed fully (hydrogen peroxide twice a day, pack the wound with antibiotic ointment, cover with gauze and tape it. Had to try not to get it wet (saran wrapped and taped) for about a month...

The scar is really thin- you can see the bone sticking out a little bit.
        For a while, it was incredibly recessed- the skin around it felt really big and thick. But I think it's slowly filling in bit by bit since I can't feel as big a difference now between the two areas.

It has faded to a nice, mellow pink though.
        I took some pics of my back several months ago... If you want to see, the url is http://community.webshots.com/user/blairasb and the pics are in the "Scoliosis" album.

The scar looks far better now. But when I see my surgeon, I'm going to talk to him about if having plastics work done on it might help... The skin is pretty loose over it, so maybe they might be able to close it up or something...
        Blair

Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.

Comment

Blairf83,

Thanks for sharing that picture. It makes me feel much better, because one of my biggest fears as a mom is an infection. Your scar really looks very good considering what you went through. I think in a couple of years you will barely notice it.

Have you tried Maderma? It's expensive and you need to apply it three times a day for several weeks, but many people say it works great.

Thanks again. It is very generous for you to share something as personal as this, and it really helps us all who are facing surgery for ourselves or our kids.

Susanna
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Emily,

First I would like to say that I'm sorry your faced with the prospect of surgery and it is understandable that you are worried about it. You've gotten some very good advice from the replies here, and I hope that they help.

Try not to worry about the scar. Scars are like a badge of honor. It shows you went through a trial and survived. Anyone who would think less of you because of a scar is not worth having around.

I know that many people have had successful pregnacies after back surgery . Ask your doctor about any problems and how to overcome them. But, please don't be in such a hurry to be a mom. Your very young (so are your friends), and probably should make sure your life is settled before taking on this very big responsibility.

Good luck.
            Tikka's Mom

Comment

Susanna- no problem at all... So many people helped me out before and after my surgery with their personal stories, information, and support. It has been a real lifesaver and helped me to feel so much better about the whole experience.. I figure I can't really ever pay those people back who have helped me so much, but I can help those who have yet to go through it.

I've tried other scar treatments without any real results (other than keeping the scar soft and keeping it from getting sun burned). I've thought of trying Mederma, but knowing how bad I was about applying the other stuff , I'm not sure it would really be worth the financial outlay...
              Blair

Comment

Thanks you all for bening here and helping me thou this. i would like to live a normal life. But sometimes i dont. sometimes i am in pain because of my back and other times it does not hurt at all.
                And that makes me upset because people have to go through with this. And have to fight for life everyday to live.

Its very sad. I just worry about the scar because i dont want people to be like Oh My! i dont want a scar so big that i cant go to the beach without everyone looking at it.

I dont want it to show one day when i have my wedding. I dont want to have problems later in life. Why does this happen?

I just want to pick up my nease and newphew with no problem i want to play with them and not hurt. I just want to be a normal girl. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hey Em, I am 17 too! I totally understand what you are going through! I was born with congenital scoliosis. Senior year is tough, because how can you have surgery when college is around the corner! Honestly though, I say go for it, it can only help. So far, I have had six spinal surgeries. I have had severe complications, but that is just me, it won't happen to you! I had to stap back a year, I am doing junior year again because last year I had four spinals and vascular, so I missed the whole year. If you are worried about college, you can deffer a semester for medical and start in the winter! It will all work out! About the scar thing, it goes (for me) from mid neck to into my butt crack (sorry, but I can't think of another way of putting it). I usually cover it up, but that is because I want to. I also have other surgery scars like the ant. one and others. My mom calls me a quilt! Surgery is fine, just don't worry too much! Good Luck!

Comment

Hey Emily,
                    You need to stay postive, and have faith that everthing will turn out all right. I have had two surgery's and I don't regret goin through with them. It can be so confusing before your surgery. I personally didn't want to talk about it until the week before my surgery. The reality of the surgery didn't hit me really until the night before my surgery. I am not going to lie to you it isn't the best thing in your life, but it is a life changing one. I mean I really learnt who my friend's were. I would listen to my docor's, and don't be afarid to get a second opinion. I got on the internet, and looked up a doctor i could get my second opinion from.

Comment

Hey everyone

Everything is ok well for the past week or so i been having sharp back pain on my left shoulder side. I mean its like nobody can touch me. And it feels like a buries? BUt i dont know whats going on? is it my back moving? or is it my nerves? And i have been getting a lot og headacks too. Is this because of my back?

Emily

Curves are 60

Comment

Hi Emily,
                        I get back pain too. I don't know what it is from though. I also used to get frequent headaches. I don't get them as often now though. I will keep you inmy prayers that your back is feeling beter!
                        ~*Lauren*~
                        Braced for 5 months
                        Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
                        Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
                        Surgery on April 26th 2005
                        Fused from T3-L4
                        Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Future Problems

Hi Emily. My name is Ross. I am a 15 year old from Louisiana. I had the Scoliosis surgery about 3 months ago. I had the surgery because my scoliosis and Scheuermann's Disease were getting pretty bad to the point that my lungs and heart were being compressed. I was starting to have troubling breathing. Anything that I would do, I lost my breath pretty quickly and it took a long time for me to be able to breath normally again. Now after surgery, I really have no problems breathing. Now consider this. You have the surgery now, and you have very few restrictions for the rest of your life. Without the surgery, you have no restrictions until about 40, were like you said, you start to have breathing problems. If you do not do the surgery, you may not be able to do things with your children and grandchildren. You may want to consider that. I hope that this information helps you! If you consider surgery, or whatever choice that you make, please let us know! My email addy is hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com I used to get alot of headaches too. They were getting to the point that I had to see a neurologist and had to have a CT Scan done. They thought that they were looking for a tumor or anurysm or something. Then I was diagnosed with the Scoliosis. Thats when it all made sense.

Hope that this helps you some!
                          Good Luck!
                          Ross
                          Last edited by matt; 12-27-2004, 04:53 PM.
                          Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
                          www.myspace.com/ross40728
                          Had surgery on 9/20/04
                          81* Scheuermann's Disease
                          40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
                          U Rod Inserted
                          Fused from T2-L3

Comment

hello

Hi i have not wrote in a long time but its been hard for me to make the right choice of having to deal with my back. I am still not sure if i still want to do surgery or not but i am still thinking about it. I have about 5 months to make my final answer. My boyfriend told me he is with me intill the end and that means a lot to me. My mom says that she wants what it best and that its up to me.
                            Which i dont want it to be up to me. I have been having really strong back pain so my mom went to my doctor and he gave me pain pills so that helps a lot! Which i am glad.

My birthday is coming up and ill be 18 and i wonder whats going to happen with everything. but oh well. Life is short and i should make it lasted. I dont know how some young people can make the choice of having the surgery. Me its hard (i know its hard for everyone) cuz what if it does not work, or the ugly scar??? will i be comfortable in my body??? All answers that i have been thinking about.

Thanks again for your advice and hope and prays.

both curves are 60

Comment

Support with any choice you make

Hi Emily. I'm sorry that you feel like you do. Having all these different feelings going through your head. I know it is hard. It was hard for me too. But, don't look at the negatives. Don't think of the scar as ugly, but as a goal completed. A goal that will benefit you much through life. I'm glad to hear that your boyfriend is sticking by you. I have a friend in Chicago who, not only her boyfriend, but her friends stop talking to her when she went into surgery. I'm going to tell you what I told her. If they can't stick around for a few bumps in the road, then why should you? Let them go. But, I am so happy that you don't have to worry about that! Well, I hope to hear from you and I will support your decision, which ever you make!! Best Wishes!!! Ross
                              Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
                              www.myspace.com/ross40728
                              Had surgery on 9/20/04
                              81* Scheuermann's Disease
                              40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
                              U Rod Inserted
                              Fused from T2-L3

Comment

hey emily advise goahead a do the surgery im 13 right now but i had the surgery done in the 6th grade my spin was 77 degreese on top and 52 on the bottom it was really scary but i did fine ~*kayley 13*~

Comment

Working...
                                X