surgrey again VERY nervous preparing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgrey again VERY nervous preparing

Hi every one, not been on here in a while but always find this site helps when im down :-)

I'm having surgrey to put the rodes back in after my screws came loose and it was all taken out, its been a few years since it all came out and i remeber the metal being put it is much worse surgrey, before i lived with my family and had them sorting every thing out. im 21 now and live with my boyfriend and i am so scraed i dont know how to prepare for it, can any one give me any advice. please

Hi...

Your surgeon's office should be able to put you in touch with another patient who had a similar surgery. I think it's often a lot better if you can talk to a another patient in depth, about what their experience was like, especially since you don't have specific questions (yet).

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Advice!

Hi xxcharliexx,

I am 27 and had a revision surgery this past February. My first spinal fusion was when I was about 12, and had my parents figuring everything out for me as well.

This time around, I was obviously in charge of all the preparation. I have a very supportive husband, which has been an immense help. I am sure you have a supportive boyfriend as well. That is so important, and will make things a lot easier for you.

Some advice I have:

Try not to stree too much before the surgery date. I know that seems impossible- but it's something you and your doctors feel needs to be done, and worrying will not make it any easier to deal with. Try to relax. Don't look up too much online regarding others experiences (aside from this site, of course! ). People tend to feel a stronger need to write their experience when it was a bad one, and that will not ease your fears.

Helpful things to have in the hospital: baby wipes, exta big tshirts, a small blanket from home, hair ties, lotion, something cuddly to hold. Don't worry about bringing an ipod/computer, ect. There is a risk of it getting stolen, and you won't feel like using them much anyways. I also used one of those crescent shaped travel neck pillows- it was a godsend. It really helped me get comfortable to sleep sitting up.

Once at home, it is a good idea to have someone with you for the first few weeks, or until you feel comfortable. A grabber comes in handy for picking things up off the floor since you shouldn't bend over. A raised toilet seat may help so that you don't have to crouch down so far to use the restroom. A bathtub stool is helpful so that you can take a shower while sitting and not worry about getting woosy/dizzy.

We also invested in a recliner (actually my dad did- haha!) the day I came home from the hospital. It was much easier for me to sleep/sit in a reclined position instead of flat on my back. I spent a LOT of time in that recliner- it was the only way to get comfortable.

This is the only advice I can think of for now. Everyone's situation is different, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. I had a very difficuly surgery, with vertebral column resections, cages, and a complete fusion from T2-L5. It has been a very long recovery, and I am still not working.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Hi,

I had my instrumentation taken out 10 years ago and it wasnt a big operatoin at all. I was fine after a month and back to work after 6 weeks. It was 100 times easier then first op so I wouldnt worry, u will be fine.

PinkPineapple,

Why did you have such a massive revision? Was your spine curving again? If so did they get it straight?

Comment

Sorry, I just read your post again. You are getting them all put back in. Why is that, I have never got mine put back in.Is your spine curve again? Or are in alot of pain?It seems odd to put them back in if your spine is fused.

Comment

Originally posted by felix999 View Post
            Hi,

I had my instrumentation taken out 10 years ago and it wasnt a big operatoin at all. I was fine after a month and back to work after 6 weeks. It was 100 times easier then first op so I wouldnt worry, u will be fine.

PinkPineapple,

Why did you have such a massive revision? Was your spine curving again? If so did they get it straight?
            I had to have the revision because my spine was curving and rotating. I had almost a 90 degree curve above the previous fusion.
            It is definitely not straight, but it is much much much better than it was. I'm not sure of the current degree, but I would say around 20.

Comment

Working...
            X