after effects...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after effects...??

i have a question for anyone with experience with epidurals...any response appreciated...

i had an epidural for sciatica about 2 months ago...it is the only one of 4 i have had that gave me relief..the pain relief was total...lasted about 7 weeks..but now tht the medication has evaporated, i have the pain i started wiht plius a new pain...the injection site feels like a constant muscle craMP...at least, i think it is the injection site...it is very painful and constant...never goes away...

i looked it up on internet...found complaints from women who were given epidurals for childbirth and had injection site pain months later...but that is all i could find...

i dont know if this is damage to a nerve...temporary or permanent..or something else..cant see te doctor til august 30 duie to his vacation schedule..

thanks...
    jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM.

I had two epidurals in my back when I woke up from surgery. They were there three days. I didn't feel any pain at the needle site after they were removed, but then I was on oral meds so perhaps it was masked.

My partner recently had an epidural for a small surgery and has no site-soreness.

So sorry to hear of this new pain, Jess.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

NOT FAIR!!

The last thing you need is more pain!
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

thanks, guys...

Jen...i am glad you havent experienced this..it is like a constant muscle cramp..only today it started spasming...then it calms down and feels like a permanent cramp again...

Sharon..thanks..i know i didnt need this! i wanted another epidural, but now i am just worried the next injection site could do this, too...my august 23rd appointment for botox (never have any injection site problems with that) was changed to august 30th...the receptionist said doctor could do fluroscopic injection that day if i want it instead...now i dont know if i do...

thanks for the support, guys...

jess

Comment

Hi Jess,

I'm also sorry to hear of this new pain you have to deal with

I had an epidural when I gave birth to my son - and like Jennifer, I had no soreness at the site, so I'm hoping that if you do have another injection, it won't happen again this time. But I really don't know that much about it. Oh, and my hubby once had a similar injection for back pain (herniated disc, no scoliosis) and he didn't have soreness at the site either.

Hope this helps.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Jess,
            I'm sorry to hear this. I had and still have no pain at my epidural injection site. It was done under fluoroscopy. My daughter had severe back pain for about three months after her epidural for childbirth. Just wondering, was your epidural done under fluoroscopy? It is so much more accurate that way. I hope you figure this thing out. Maybe it's not related to the epidural, like you don't have pain everywhere already. Maybe it is just a new pain. I hate to say that, but for the last three days my joints, and I mean every joint in my body hurts. I get up in the night and can barely open a pill bottle because my hands hurt so bad. I KNOW this pain isn't scoli related, unless I have total nerve damage, which is very unlikely. I'm going to have the doc check me for lymes disease, cuz I LOVE my time in the woods. I usually wear repellant but not always. Sorry, I know it's off topic. But I guess my point is that maybe this new pain is not related to your epidural and just coincidentally happens to be in the same area. I hope they figure this out for you. Best wishes, and I really mean that!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

hi maria and rohr..thanks for the support!

yes, it was done under fluroscope...all my injections are except botox...

i thought about it, rohr...about maybe it is not related to epidural..but it is specific to where the needle went in...i will ask the pain doctor who did it when i finally see him August 30th...i dont know what to do about having another on the same side...for the same sciatica...which is baaaack!

i am glad neither you or maria have experienced this particular pain..it just adds to the misery of the already existing thing the epidural was given for!

we'll see what the doc has to say...and hope it eases off a little in the coming weeks!

thanks..
              jess

Comment

Jess,
                Is the pain at the injection site new- as in you feel it now that the whole deal has worn off?

Really sorry that you have so much pain...and yet a new one.

You live in Ct, correct? Is there anyone local who might be able to help out temporarily?

Thinking of you...
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

Hi Jess,
                  I am so sorry about this new pain for you. I guess that epidurals as with surgery do not come without risk. I never had pain at the injection site, so I am not much help for you. I have had what I think is an allergic reaction to the medication, so I don't want any more epidurals. Do you think it is the psoas muscle that is spasming? Have you tried a muscle relaxant such as flexeril? I hope that this thing resolves itself for you soon.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

thanks, guys...

it is definitely a new pain..i dont know which muscle it is that's spasming...but that is what it is doing...it feels weird...and the entire epidural has worn off....g-o-n-e...

i dont have a pain management doctor outside of NYC right now...i have not been really pleased with CT doctors..i knwo that may sound...NYC snobby...but it is true...there is a possibility i may try a Hartford hospital...but they want to see my doctor reports first to see if i "qualify"...havent bothered to gather reports up lately...in too much pain!!

appreciate the support...and sympathy!

jess

Comment

Can't your regular pain doc call in an Rx until you get in to see him? What about your PCP? Just some suggestions. Have you tried icing it? I know it sounds terrible, but I've found that it actually numbs my spasms when I get them. Some people prefer heat, to me that just increases the blood flow and my pain gets worse. I know when you are in pain you will try just about anything. I hope you can get some relief. Sleep well. I say that cuz it's after 2:30 am here. Really, I hope you rest. It seems to help, at least a little.
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

hey rohr
                        i have my usual pain meds...i never get to talk to the doc himself...always the receptionists..they dont like to do stuff on the phone...i have my hydrocodone...which takes the edge off..the oxycontin does too, but i lose too much weight on it...got down to 87 pounds..am back up to 96 pounds, so i dont want to take oxycontin again...unless i'm desperate...i dont have any muscle relaxers...maybe i'll ask him next visit August 30th...
                        tried ice...it didnt help much...just made it cold
                        i've tried stretching and tried heat...didnt help much either...
                        PCP is useless! i just get her to give me referrals and lab orders! havent found a good G.P. in CT yet..on my third one!

i have ambien to sleep...i just cant seem to sleep tonite...but i'm getting sleepy about 4:30 a.m. now, without ambien...so i will say good nite...

thanks for the sympathy and concern! that does help!

jess

Comment

Sweet dreams Jess.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            hey rohr
                            i have my usual pain meds...i never get to talk to the doc himself...always the receptionists..they dont like to do stuff on the phone...i have my hydrocodone...which takes the edge off..the oxycontin does too, but i lose too much weight on it...got down to 87 pounds..am back up to 96 pounds, so i dont want to take oxycontin again...unless i'm desperate...i dont have any muscle relaxers...maybe i'll ask him next visit August 30th...
                            tried ice...it didnt help much...just made it cold
                            i've tried stretching and tried heat...didnt help much either...
                            PCP is useless! i just get her to give me referrals and lab orders! havent found a good G.P. in CT yet..on my third one!

i have ambien to sleep...i just cant seem to sleep tonite...but i'm getting sleepy about 4:30 a.m. now, without ambien...so i will say good nite...

thanks for the sympathy and concern! that does help!

jess
                            Hello, Jess.
                            I went to the doctor today. I told him about the sudden joint pain and a few other symptoms (mild ones) that I've had. He's treating me for Lyme's Disease. I know you really went through the mill with this. I hope we're catching it early if it is. The tests have so many false negatives that we decided together not to waste the time and money testing me. Either the treatment helps or it doesn't and we move on to some other cause. I've been outside since it was warm enough to go outside. I found a dear tick on my well sprayed and well protected leg last night. If that thing could get through that much DEET and heavy tied off jeans with long socks and hiking boots, I'm sure they must have gotten on me when I went unprotected in the woods. I'm not meaning to hijack your thread. I was just thinking about you and thought you might be interested since you've been through it. Have you heard anything from the doctor, yet? I would bug the heck out of my GP until I got in. Most places have an "urgent care". I would tell them that the pain is excruciating and you NEED to get a muscle relaxer. Let them know you're not after narcotics. There are so many drug seekers out there that it gives those of us that really need the stuff a bad rap. Hang in there. We're all haning in there with you. ((((HUGS))))
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

hey rohr
                              i wanted to let you know to watch out for a Jarish Herxheimer...not kidding...it is a reaction to antibiotics that you only get with spyrochete caused illnesses...what it means is that your symptoms get 100 times worse before they get better...to the point where you may think you are having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics you are being given, or are worsening and the meds arent working...if you get much worse the day or a few days after you start the meds, it is a good thing! it means they are working!!
                              it means you are having a "herxheimer," which is good!!!

i would suggest you buy a book on Lyme..classic is "Coping with Lyme Disease," by Denise Lang..now in 2nd or 3rd edition for updates...or any other book on Lyme with patient input!! Lyme is an illness with patient/doctor controversy...many doctors mistakenly thought 2 weeks, then 4, then 6 weeks was enough antibiotic treatment, and many of us relapsed!!! they then called that "post Lyme syndrome"...we called it "still being sick"!!! and "undermedicated"!!

not trying to scare you...just to let you know how...tough to treat...and controversial Lyme is...there are many articles in NY Times about it..one of the first had an old NYC address in it of mine...i used to run a NYC Lyme support group!

write any time...good luck
                              jess

Comment

Working...
                              X