What to do?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?!

Ok I am new to this forum but need some help. I think i will probably be talking about subject that has beat to death.
    In short here is my story....I had 6 vertabrae fusion and rods put in 2005. Reopened in 2006 to tighten the screws. I am cut from base of neck to behind and then bi-lat cut from back to belly button.
    So i have been 100X worse since surgery. Doctor told me if i did not do it i would probably be in wheelchair at 50.
    Already did nerve block, burn, morphine pump and now stimulator with little success.
    I really am just tired and sick of being in pain!
    Thinking about hardware removal. All of my pain is over the area where the screws are.
    Does anyone have good revision surgeon in Florida?

Originally posted by scuba steve View Post
    Ok I am new to this forum but need some help. I think i will probably be talking about subject that has beat to death.
    In short here is my story....I had 6 vertabrae fusion and rods put in 2005. Reopened in 2006 to tighten the screws. I am cut from base of neck to behind and then bi-lat cut from back to belly button.
    So i have been 100X worse since surgery. Doctor told me if i did not do it i would probably be in wheelchair at 50.
    Already did nerve block, burn, morphine pump and now stimulator with little success.
    I really am just tired and sick of being in pain!
    Thinking about hardware removal. All of my pain is over the area where the screws are.
    Does anyone have good revision surgeon in Florida?
    Hi...

Welcome to the group, and sorry you're in such bad shape.

You might check out Nate Lebwohl:

http://ortho.med.miami.edu/x40.xml?id=P1938

If your back incision is that long for only 6 vertebrae, you probably didn't get the best of care.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks i will give them a call. the incesion is so long because the rods run from T-4 to L4. I have learned that the fusion should be as long as the rods.
      So there ya go. I refer to the surgeon as the butcher!
      He truly distroyed my life. I use to be a law enforcement officer.....not anymore.
      Now i am self employed with 4 kids and a nightmare of a back.
      Frustration and depression in a constant battle now. I would give everything i have to get my old life back and i would never complain about the 3-4 on pain scale pain again.

Comment

hi steve
        welcome to forum...
        so sorry to hear of your constant pain!

so, you are fused T4-L4..? from your other description on other thread, i thought you were fused to pelvis...

i need surgery T4-pelvis..not had it yet...but the surgeon did warn me that many folks need screws removed from hips after spine is fused...like a year later...he warned me i might need it because i am thin...

i hope you find a good revision surgeon in FLA...some one who can help fix whatever is wrong..and whatever the first surgeon might not have done right...

jess

Comment

Thanks Jess i pray i get some relief soon as I fill my life is so much pain filled right now.
          I too am a thin person so maybe that is where the screw thing plays a part. ALL of my pain is just above my hips. 8"above my beltline and down. That is it. No radiating in arms or legs just a constant horrible pain in that area.
          Trying to find a surgeon in my area with some experience. I have a great ortho doc but he really has no experience with rods and such.
          I know one thing there has to be more to life than what i am dealing with at 41 yrs. old!
          Hang in there to and let me know if the screw thing ever catches up with you. I am sure by then (if it does every happen to you) that i will already have my issue worked out one way or another.
          God Bless.
          Steven

Comment

Thanks i will give them a call. the incesion is so long because the rods run from T-4 to L4. I have learned that the fusion should be as long as the rods.
            So there ya go. I refer to the surgeon as the butcher!
            He truly distroyed my life. I use to be a law enforcement officer.....not anymore.
            Now i am self employed with 4 kids and a nightmare of a back.
            Frustration and depression in a constant battle now. I would give everything i have to get my old life back and i would never complain about the 3-4 on pain scale pain again.
            Steven...

Are you certain that you weren't fused the entire way? Many people misread surgical reports because of the A/P surgery issue. I suspect they may have fused your lumbar spine from the front, and T4-L4 from the back.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

No i am not sure of anything anymore. The surgeon Told me Harrington rods where used. Now i found out they haven't use H rods for over 10 yrs. so i am not real sure what i even have in me!

Comment

Hi Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about your awful outcome. It sounds like you need a really good scoliosis revision surgeon who can take x-rays and give you an idea of what is needed to give you relief. I see you're in Florida. I hope someone here has found a good revision surgeon in Florida and can give you a name.

Wishing you all the luck you missed out on the first time.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Steve

Welcome. Sorry to hear about all this pain. I hope you can get connected with the right surgeon that can help you. Sometimes, it takes a little effort and time. Nice to have another diver here on the forum, are you still diving?
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

No i am not sure of anything anymore. The surgeon Told me Harrington rods where used. Now i found out they haven't use H rods for over 10 yrs. so i am not real sure what i even have in me!
                    Steve... you might want to request your surgical reports from your doctor's office. If you decide to request them, and want help in interpreting them, I'd be happy to do that.

--Linda

Comment

Yes tEd. still diving. once i left law enforcement (due to surgery) i had to do something so i opened a commercial diving company. Mostly salvage work but some yacht repair and upkeep. Doing more supervising than anything now. But do still get in the water. Gotta do something to keep the bill collector happyI tried to tell him about my back but he didn't seem to care.
                      But i have had to adapt company to my back. ie. no more tanks on my back, using 100' hose. and carts to carry the tanks.
                      The wierd thing now is having this stimulator in me that i have to adjust all the time due to pressure changes on the body. Still calling numbers for revision surgeon so if any one has idea PLEASE send them to me.
                      Also yes i just called and requested surgery report so i will have it in my hands tomorrow and yes i may need some help to understand it all.
                      Thanks to all!
                      SS

Comment

Someone who knows how to read xrays should be able to tell you how long your fusion is from the image you attached. Unfortunately, that person is not me

Comment

Yes and unfortuanately is doesn't show all of rods are fusion.
                          Gonna get some answers soon. Going to west coast of FL. on the 25th to see new sergeon.
                          I pray he has some answers and help.

Comment

Working...
                          X