14 yr old daughter in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 yr old daughter in Germany

We just found out that our 14 year old daughter has Scoliosis. We are military living in Germany. We can't be seen on base so we are doing her brace and physical therapy off base. Does anyone notice if their children are in need of counseling to talk about this new condition in their lives? My daughter hasn't really said much so I don't know if that's good or bad. She starts High School in a couple weeks so this brace with that must be weighing on her mind a bit. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi and welcome! You might want to recommend the site/forum called SpineKids to your daughter. It is a forum similar to this one, except it is mostly kids and teens posting. She'll get a lot of support there and would most likely be more comfortable talking to someone who's going through the same thing rather than a therapist who might not understand.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by deanna87 View Post
      We just found out that our 14 year old daughter has Scoliosis. We are military living in Germany. We can't be seen on base so we are doing her brace and physical therapy off base. Does anyone notice if their children are in need of counseling to talk about this new condition in their lives? My daughter hasn't really said much so I don't know if that's good or bad. She starts High School in a couple weeks so this brace with that must be weighing on her mind a bit. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
      As a former brace wearer in highschool, I can't tell you what it would have meant to me to have others who understood what it was to discuss my feelings with. Back in the late 70's, I knew one other girl 3 or 4 years older than me with a brace.

Good luck with your daughter, and I hope the brace works out for her.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Braced Teens

When my daughter was younger, she would hardly speak about her scoliosis at all. Right before she was braced, she met another girl who had been wearing a brace for one year. This made all the difference in the world, since the girl gave her very valuable advice that helped her greatly through the beginning brace-wearing weeks. Soon after, she began communicating with other kids who were also braced. We met several girls and email worked great for those who lived further away. She takes great comfort in knowing there are other kids out there who are dealing with this. Before meeting these kids, she truly felt that she was the only person in the world who had scoliosis, even though we told her otherwise. Now, older and more experienced with all of this, she has no problem speaking about scoliosis at all, or talking about her brace to curious classmates. If your daughter would like someone to email with who is also a teen, you can PM me to exchange email addresses. My daughter emails with new brace wearers frequently.

Brooke

Comment

Bad Sobernheim

The Asklepios Katharina Schroth Klinik, a rehab center for scoliosis, is in Bad Sobernheim, Germany, about 30 minutes south of Frankfurt. There are 200 patients there at any given time, mostly adolescent girls with braces. Might be worth a trip, if even just to see what they do. My instructor's name is Axel Hennes. He's still there and he speaks excellent English.

Comment

Working...
          X