Removal of All Hardware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I'm in the process of waiting to see if I'll need all my hardware removed. I had a spinal abscess in 2008 and just finished a full year off antibiotics. My blood work showed an elevated sed rate which indicates inflammation of some sort.
    I have to wait it out and see if I get sick-right now I feel healthy.

My surgeon said if he took the hardware out he would put it in again 3-4 months later. He would not let me walk around with an unsupported fusion. Does anyone know anything about this? I've read about hardware removal but not usually replacing it. Just curious-I'm not there yet and hopefully will be spared this surgery.
    dianeh
    ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
    T3- sacrum
    dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Originally posted by dianeh View Post
      Hi,
      I'm in the process of waiting to see if I'll need all my hardware removed. I had a spinal abscess in 2008 and just finished a full year off antibiotics. My blood work showed an elevated sed rate which indicates inflammation of some sort.
      I have to wait it out and see if I get sick-right now I feel healthy.

My surgeon said if he took the hardware out he would put it in again 3-4 months later. He would not let me walk around with an unsupported fusion. Does anyone know anything about this? I've read about hardware removal but not usually replacing it. Just curious-I'm not there yet and hopefully will be spared this surgery.
      dianeh
      Hi Diane...

Hardware is usually not reimplanted unless the patient is not fused (which should become evident fairly soon after surgery). If your surgeon removes your implants, and your spine doesn't re-curve, I think you should be very reluctant to go through another surgery. At least, you should get a second opinion.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X