Removal of All Hardware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of All Hardware!

I' m back. And numb right now. Saw my doctor yesterday and he wants to remove all hardware. It's been giving me grief since he repaired the fracture at T3 in Mar 09. Looks like I'lll have surgery the week before Thanksgiving. That way my darling hubby will be able to watch over me that first week. I know the surgery won't be as extensive, but the recovery takes just as long.

I haven't been on the forum in such a long time. Been hitting the road on our Harley as often as possible. Just as well as I'll be out of commission for another six months starting in November. And I hurt enough now I'm looking forward to the break (don't tell Steve, my hubby)! It's been a long, long road. But at least I'll have enough hardware to make some kind of sculpture in Spring 2011!

I won't request prayers until I get closer to the surgery date, which I don't even have yet. Until then, thanks for all the love and support that you all so willing give to each and every one of us.
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Les,
    Wow! I just cant believe it. All the hardware?

Why does your surgeon want to do this? What was his reasoning?
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ti Ed, I have had continual spasms between my shoulder blades, since the repair at T3 and removal of hardware. I think the tip of one rod is rubbing against the muscle/tendon of that shoulder (deltoid?) muscle and all of the screws along the rod are just too big and irritating all my muscles. The doc thinks by removing the hardware, I won't have anything irritating muscles/tendons and all should settle down quickly.
      Les
      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Les,
        I'm so sorry for all the troubles you've had. I hope this one does the trick and you are finally pain free. I know how painful those spasms can be, and I can't imagine having them as long as you have.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Les
          I'm so sorry about this. This makes this #4? for you, and when your in pain, it does grow old....

I never had the spasms after my surgeries. It's something that seems to keep popping up here often....I did had them before surgery, and they can be extremely painful.

You are a very brave person....
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Brave and cheerful considering the circumstances.

So sorry to hear about your ongoing problems, Les. I had hoped your absence meant you were hitting the highway on the Harley and had forgotten about scoliosis.

Let us know how you go, won't you? Best of luck!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Les...

From what I've heard, recovery from implant removal is usually much faster. I think most commonly I hear that people are back to normal by 4-6 weeks postop. Hope that's true in your case.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by lapieper View Post
                Ti Ed, I have had continual spasms between my shoulder blades, since the repair at T3 and removal of hardware. I think the tip of one rod is rubbing against the muscle/tendon of that shoulder (deltoid?) muscle and all of the screws along the rod are just too big and irritating all my muscles. The doc thinks by removing the hardware, I won't have anything irritating muscles/tendons and all should settle down quickly.
                Les
                The last surgeon that I saw told me that I would be committing myself to two surgeries for that very reason. He said that high fusions tend to irritate the muscles. He recommended removal of the hardware one year from implanting the hardware. The only trouble for me is that he wants me to wait until I'm 60* until he does the first surgery and I just want to get it over with. I'm at 46* now.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I also have those spasms between the shoulder blades, but it took qhite a while for it to start. I sympathise with you Les, its a long road eh for some of us.
                  Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                  Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                    The last surgeon that I saw told me that I would be committing myself to two surgeries for that very reason. He said that high fusions tend to irritate the muscles. He recommended removal of the hardware one year from implanting the hardware. The only trouble for me is that he wants me to wait until I'm 60* until he does the first surgery and I just want to get it over with. I'm at 46* now.
                    I had them for the first year or so (sometimes severe), but have been great the last 6 months. I think it's because of exercise. My point is, why plan to have them out if you don't know for sure that they'll bother you long-term?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

hi Les
                      i am so sorry to hear of more trouble with your scoliosis surgery...i hope removing the hardware can be the last of it..and that you can go on to the healthy happy life you deserve, without anymore ...cutting...needed!!

i think the sculpture thing is a great idea..maybe those who have had hardware removed could get together, melt it all down, and create a memorial to everything scoli folks go thru! then find a central location for the sculpture! maybe in Washington D.C., near the NIH...or outside of a major hospital!!

there will be many people thinking and praying for you when the surgery happens...all pulling for it to be a success!

best regards...
                      jess

Comment

Hi Les,
                        I am also sorry to hear that you are having muscle spasms and are in pain. I'm pretty sure that Linda is right that your recovery from the hardware removal will be much less that the installation surgery. I will be thinking of you.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hardware Removal

So sorry you have to go through this. I feel weird becasue revision seems to be more of an adult event than child. Hardware removal takes less time and the recovery is faster. My daughter's spine wasn't as strongly fused as the doc had hoped so we had other issues. I am sure you will do great!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter has her hardward and right after post op the doc came in with it and was asking what she should do with it. For those who know my story this will be even funnier Show and Tell popped out of my mouth. He was not pleased but her twin sister took a picture and showed it to her Science class the next day.The hardware is also on Facebook for all to see.

I would make an art work sculpture and the pictures and words of the people who had them in their bodies. I think you could get a grant for this and have it go across country and elsewhere if there are internationally based folks involved

Comment

I know how ya feel.

I have been told twice now that I may need my hardware removed. Had 6 vert. fusion in 05 and tightening of screws in 06.
                            10X worse since surgery than i was before!
                            Been through everything....etc nerve burning,blocking, morphine pump and now stimulator.
                            How much hardware do you have in? Is it only the screw areas that cause the pain?

Comment

Steve. gee you are having problems and I certainly do sympathise with you. It appears to be the screws that are hurting me between the shoulder blades, but that is 44 years post surgery. I have a lot of hardware in as you can see by my signature.
                              I would love to give you advice, but honestly I don't know what to say I am absolutely dumb founded, you poor thing, you must so fed up with it.

Lorraine.
                              Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                              Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Working...
                              X