Update on Mandy, 6 month checkup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Mandy, 6 month checkup!

Mandy had her 6 month checkup and is doing GREAT! Dr. Purvis ( the best scolio Dr in the WORLD at the Univ of Miss Medical Center ) was very happy with how she looked and her xrays. He tested her standing on her toes and heels, bending forward and backward looked at how she was standing and moving around and at her incision and said "See you in 6 months!"
    She has very little pain now and is even able to lie on her stomach ( after working with our great massage therapist and getting relaxed enough to try it) She has been swimming this Summer and is ready to go back to school Monday with very little limitations only no running, jumping etc. The main problem is keeping her from doing too much!
    Her life has, honestly ,changed very little.
    Xray's here
    and her initial xray too.

I am always willing to answer any questions anyone has. It's a frightening process for everyone involved. NO question is too simple or dumb to ask. Sometimes it's the simple ones that bug you the most if you don't know the answer!

to recap, Mandy had surgery Jan 15, 2010 to correct 51' Thoracic and 63 ' lumbar curves that were diagnosed Nov 19,2009 after being alerted by a great PE teacher . Her surgery took 5 1/2 hours and she was allowed to go into stepdown instead of ICU. Our Dr stood her up the next day but did not walk her for 3 days. She was in her school beauty pageant 6 weeks later in a strapless gown and heels........
    visit her caringbridge site www.caringbridge.com/visit/mandydupree
    Last edited by ArabianFancy; 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM.
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Great to see Mandy has had a great recovery!! Seems like almost a lifetime ago we were waiting for these upcoming surgeries.

Katlin will be having her 6 month check up this month. She has no complaints and is back to doing things without issues. I too have to keep reminding her that she maybe doing too much.

I'll be glad to be past the 6 month check with Katlin, but just got the news we will be back for surgery with my older DD.

Mandy's X-rays look great!! She must be thrilled with her progress.

Dee
    Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
    Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
    Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
    X