Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable Cars & Chairs Post Op

Hi Everyone,

Some recent threads made me think about 2 questions I have for immediately post op - going home from the hospital and being comfortable (or trying to) once I get home.

Is an SUV really a good idea for getting home? Mine is not tall, but how does one actually climb into the seat? Is a standard sedan a better choice?

Also, I have a tempurpedic bed so I think sleeping MAY be ok, but I'm wondering where I can sit/lay outside of the bedroom. My couch is not firm by any means - should I get a hospital bed? I don't want to be stuck in my bedroom for weeks!

Thanks

Hi Jamie Ann - I thought I was posting my answer on your post and I see there is another similar post at the top of the list. Check there for some answers. Sorry about that. Good luck!
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi Shari,

Thanks! So an SUV is definitely better to come home in. Will do!

How about laying around when you first get home? I just have a soft couch with no chairs in my living room. Is there maybe a wedge that I can buy to prop myself up - or just have a lot of firm pillows?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Jamie Anne - DD found the couch too soft at first, but eventually used it to lay down and watch TV. She used the computer chair with a pillow behind her most. She like the harder support, ability to roll, and arm support.

Dee
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Hi Jamie Ann - our bedroom was upstairs, the stairs were ok, but I did not want to be trapped upstairs and in the middle of the night I was awake alot. This way my husband got some sleep as he was back to work. I had a hospital bed in the living room for 6 weeks. I liked having the bars, the ability to adjust the bed, my husband liked not worrying about rolling over and accidentally hitting my back. It was kind of my haven. I lay on the couch some now during the day, but it was too narrow to log roll at the beginning and to soft.
          I did find that one of our dining room chairs with a bed pillow behind my back was a nice change at times. The first few weeks I laid down a lot.
          Everyone is different just be prepared to be flexible. Also, be sure to get a grabber, raised toilet seat with arms, and a chair for the shower.
          Have a good weekend!
          Shari - 55 years old
          Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
          Post op 13 degree curve.
          Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
          2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
          Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
          www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

JamieAnn-

The grabber has been the best thing post op for me. I use it over 100 times a day, esp since I have small children at home and they drop little pieces from toys all over the house. I did have a medical bed post op, but I didn't like it. The mattress that it was delivered with was hard as a rock and unlike many others on here I didn't like using the foam topper on the medical bed (thought it was hard to logroll onto). After 2 weeks, I went into my own bed anyway. For some reason, I found it hard logrolling into the medical bed and easier into my own bed.

Good luck to you!

JenM
            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Am right there with Jen M's reply. I had grabbers up and downstairs and even in the car once I started driving. Am not using them much anymore, but they were great. Hated the hospital bed and certainly wasn't going to have one at home, despite Dr.'s recommendations. Lying in bed was rough and I did spend some nights in the recliner early on. I, too, did not do well with the mattress topper--log rolling and moving around on it were just too hard and painful. Even now, (6 mo's. post op) moving around in bed is not always easy. One of the things I wish I would have had at discharge was a scrip for muscle relaxants. I had a lot of pain and spasms at night and just kind of dealt with it for a while until my RN friend suggested I call my Dr. for some. Everyone's different but just thought I'd pass that along.
              I came home in a Lexus with heated seats--4 hour drive, good dose of pain meds and I was fine. However, getting in and out of a low-seated car is harder (still is) and my SUV was much easier once I was out and about more. You'll find what works best for you. Lots of pillows and chairs that give you some support (and that you can comfortably get out of!) will help at home.
              Wishing you the best. I remember all too well what those last few weeks before surgery are like--hang in!

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
              X