Nate's VBS Update and Photos/Xrays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post

My daughter's surgeon, Dr Luhmann in St Louis (partners with Lenke and Bridwell) has also had great success with VBS, and he told me he has an article being published in 2011 with his results so far. I found it very interesting that he has had great success doing VBS alone on curves up to 40 degrees--he has not found a need to add the hybrid rod. I am looking forward to that article, and once it is published I will post the abstract here. Dr Luhmann has done at least 45 VBS surgeries, which I am guessing is more than any other doctor aside from those at Shriners Philadelphia.

That is great news, and I am happy to say that Nate would fit right into Dr. Luhman's stats for success on curves up to 40 degrees. I will be anxiously awaiting his article!! I will be interested to see the number of lumbar versus thoracic curves also, as statistically so far the lumbar curves have been even more successful with the stapling.
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Originally posted by nate03 View Post
      That is great news, and I am happy to say that Nate would fit right into Dr. Luhman's stats for success on curves up to 40 degrees.
      David would fit into those statistics as well - and he is nearly 6 and a half years post-op! Hard to believe it's been that long since his surgery - time flies!

I, too, look forward to reading this article.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
        Hi Cara,

I have attached Leah's pre-op x-ray measured at 30 degrees, and her one-month post-op x-ray, measured at 18 degrees. I am thrilled with how good her back looks. She is beyone thrilled to be entirely brace-free.

Take care,
        Hi Gayle- I just now finally got to see Leah's xrays, and her back looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing these xrays, info like this is so helpful to other families who are trying to learn about the options available today!

Please continue to keep us posted, I am looking forward to hearing about many more positive reports for her!

Cara
        Cara, Mom to Nathan
        Dr. Hresko
        40 Degrees before VBS
        11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Hi Cara,

Nate's story is one of the most inspirational, or maybe it is your story that I always find so inspirational. Throughout Nate's journey you have always kept amazing faith and strength, even when Nate was... well... at times... a bit difficult, headstrong and a little non compliant... LOL yes, it is your story that is so inspirational!!!

He sure has a beautiful back now!!!

Stephanie
          Last edited by stephanieC; 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM.
          Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
          10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
          07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
          12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
          2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
          3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

I haven't been on the forum in a bit - trying to enjoy the last days of summer! It was such a hot summer here this year, I am still so grateful that Nate could enjoy long days at the beach without the worry of a brace ~ he is really into surfing now! And now that he is heading off to high school, I just know compliancy would have been a huge problem, and he still has so much growth ahead of him.....it would have been a long battle!

Thanks so much for your kind words. Encouraging friends like you have made such a difference in this journey, it is SO important to keep a positive attitude, which as we both know can be a challenge some days but is the best we can do for our kids :-)

-Cara
            Cara, Mom to Nathan
            Dr. Hresko
            40 Degrees before VBS
            11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

enjoying a brace-free summer

Hi Cara,

Leah has enjoyed such an active and happy summer without her brace, too. She is such an active kid--not quite to the extent of Nate's extreme sports, but she swims, clims trees, runs, plays with her 5 y/o brother, etc.

She participated in summer day camp through the local university kids program, and they kept her and her brother incredibly active with sports, bowling, field games, soccer, archery, rock climbing, martial arts, dance, gymnastics, cooking, training and running a 5K, and more I am forgetting. She has done all of these activities without complaint or pain, and loves it. She could never enjoy all these activities in the brace, and I am thrilled that we don't have our daily struggles with brace compliance. I don't miss all the tears, drama and arguing about wearing the brace.

We have our 6-month post-op x-rays coming up in November. Her back looks very good now, very balanced. I will post her next set of x-rays in November.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I am so happy for you and Leah!!! What a difference a year can make!! After all you guys have been thru, it must be incredible for you to watch her running around so carefree!!

Stephanie
                Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
                10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
                07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
                12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
                2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
                3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

I just wanted to say that I remember so well that first summer when David was allowed to run outside and play in the heat with just a tank top and NO BRACE. It was an incredible feeling - and one that I'm sure only those who have been there can truly understand
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Cara, that video was really interesting and is the first time I've heard anything about stapling. I guess if there's only a few hospitals in the US that perform this, then I'm sure there's probably zilch in Canada. Must say though, your son's athletics scare me b/c I've got a computer nerd boy here, lol.
                    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Update on Leah--one year post-op

Hi all,

One year has passed since Leah's VBS, and we are thrilled with her latest x-rays. Her thoracic curve is now 12 degrees, down from 17 degrees six months ago (and 30 degrees pre-VBS).

Leah is 100% pain free and has never had to wear a brace since surgery. She is a very active girl who runs/jumps/swims/climbs to her heart's content. She has grown 3 inches since her surgery. We are thrilled with her result from the stapling surgery. We are hoping to wait a full year for her next x-ray, depending on what Dr Luhmann says. See x-ray below:

Leah May 2011.jpg
                      Last edited by leahdragonfly; 05-16-2011, 10:10 PM.
                      Gayle, age 50

Comment

Hi Gayle -
                        I am so thrilled to hear how well Leah is doing! That x-ray says it all, AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this happy news.
                        Nate has an appt coming up in a few weeks, and I expect a great report for him as well..........keep you posted!
                        -Cara
                        Cara, Mom to Nathan
                        Dr. Hresko
                        40 Degrees before VBS
                        11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Thanks, Cara! We are just so thrilled at this point. Sorry to join Nate's thread...I was going to post separately on Leah's progress but most of her VBS story is contained here, so I hope you don't mind. I will try to get a separate thread made for her updates.

I've been wondering about how Nate was doing, and I will look forward to an update on his next appt.

Take care,
                          Gayle, age 50

Comment

It's great to post their stories together Gayle!

I had been meaning to send you a message over the past week, and hadn't gotten to it yet, so I was very happy to see this post from you (I had subscribed to this thread previously, so I got notification). I truly hope you are also feeling well!

-Cara
                            Cara, Mom to Nathan
                            Dr. Hresko
                            40 Degrees before VBS
                            11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Wow Gayle that radiograph is amazing!! Remarkable, great result.

Congratulations to you and Cara on your results. These VBS guys are amazing.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

congratulations Gayle and Leah! your XRays are beautiful!
                                Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
                                currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
                                11/10 TLSO Full Time
                                4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
                                12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
                                VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
                                10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

Working...
                                X