Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering at what week people start to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering at what week people start to drive?

I am now 7 weeks post-op and can't drive yet because of the neck issue I am currently having. I was just wondering what month or week people start to drive? I ride as a passenger in a car when my sitter takes me to physical therapy or when she picks up my son at camp and I can't stand the feeling I get when we go over a bump or make a sharp turn. I was also wondering, can you drive with a pillow behind your back in the beginning so you don't feel discomfort with every bump? I also realize you have to be off of pain narcotics in order to drive. I'd just like to see everyone's responses about when they started.

Thanks!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

I started at six weeks. I am on pain meds as needed and don't take them before driving. I usually only need them till the PM. I don't need a pillow and bumps don't bother me too much. Once your neck is better, you'll most likely feel the same.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I started at 5 weeks because I needed to get somewhere for an interview and could not find anyone to take me and there are no taxis or public trans anywhere near where I live. I never asked nor told Dr. Rand about it. That was the first time and then I took it easy driving because it was and is so difficult to turn to the left or the right for that matter. Personally, it was too soon to drive but I really had no choice. and the amount of oxy I was on at the time would have choked a horse but when I needed that amount I didn't hardly feel it. Now whatever I take makes me sleepy so now I have to be careful with what I take before I drive.
      sorry for being so long winded.
      avis
      my final is complete, now I have to get ready for comps, dissertation and 4 essays all due within a couple of weeks of each other beginning september 1st. i am a mental case for sure.
      1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
      2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
      2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I think most UCSF patients are told that they can drive when they're off narcotics. That ranges from about 4 weeks to never.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          I think most UCSF patients are told that they can drive when they're off narcotics. That ranges from about 4 weeks to never.

--Linda
          I wonder if they really expect people to stick to that rule. I feel sure it's given as a legal formality, and that the real rule is the one in the drug flyers - to wait until one knows how ones reactions vary under this influence, "before operating heavy equipment. There are MANY people taking medications for chronic conditions - medications which technically carry this warning.

I'm sure that would affect at least 10% of the adult population ( if not more). Think how many medicines are in that category and how many people fill prescriptions - not for temporary, acute use. That includes benzodiazepines, anti-depressants, narcotic pain killers, even antihistamines! For some people the familiarity rule would indeed mean no driving, ever. For most, though, it could involve a short restriction - mostly when the dose is new or altered, and one is still checking out ones reflexes on it.

Personally a strict application of this standard would have meant never driving at all since getting my license (late, because of living overseas and relying on excellent public transport). I've taken Valium PRN at bedtime most of my adult life. It has a VERY long half life. That's not even to speak of later opiate use, which has continued a long time, also PRN. But I don't even notice it; indeed, I'd be more of a hazard skipping it! That's not to say others don't need to exercise more caution.

Interesting article in the NYTImes about this issue which is becoming increasingly important with the greying of America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/us...killers&st=cse

But to return to the original point, there's a BIG difference between a real prohibition and a pro forma prohibition for legal purposes. Still, I'm curious to know how different medical practices handle this. My guess is that ALL their legal advisers would require them to prohibit driving in case of narcotic use, but that few would expect all/most patients to follow it. Consider how much of the population would be unable to get to work if the ban were strictly applied! The key concept is "know thyself", admittedly easier said than done here as elsewhere.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I started driving short distances at around four months, and was still taking a low dose of oxycontin. I thought I was fine until I got off narcotics completely at 8 months and realized the difference in my alertness. In the future, if I ever have to take narcotics again, I certainly won't drive.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Jen -- I was 8 weeks out when I started driving. It was great to get that bit of independence back.
              Glenda
              Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
              Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
              Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
              A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
              Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
              Pleased with outcome

Comment

JenM

I am wondering how your neck is doing, and if You spoke to Dr. B about the problem? Sure hope you are feeling better.
                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                T54/L72
                Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                Gained 2 inches!
                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Hi Lorz-

Thanks for checking up on me! I really appreciate it. I spoke to Dr. B's nurse about the problem. She spoke to Dr. B and he suggested I go to a local orthapedic who specializes in the neck to get checked out. I don't have a local orthapedic in the area. Since we only live 10 minutes away, could you recommend one to me? I think you told me once you see a local guy. So he was not much help. The only positive things is that I am seeing a little improvement with me neck each week during physical therapy. I can now hold my neck up for 3 hours at a time (weeks ago it was only 1 hour at a time). The physical therapist says it's muscular and we have to build up the muscles in my neck. I just wonder why no one else really gets this problem. Dr. B's nurse said about 5% of his patients have experienced this. I will send you a PM as I want to ask you a personal question.

Thanks again for checking on me!!

JenM
                  Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                  Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                  Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                  Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                  31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

JenM

I sent you a private message. Hope you are having a good day!
                    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                    T54/L72
                    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                    Gained 2 inches!
                    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                    X