Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Questions

Hi everyone,

I have three questions for anyone out there. My daughter wants to try out for her HS gymnastics team. She has never done gymnastics before, but has danced for 10 years. I'm afraid she may make the team because she is extremely flexible. I'm afraid this will affect her scoliosis. We are getting great correction in the brace 22 hours a day. I'm afraid joining the team may make matters worse, especially since this will be a new activity for her. Any opinions?

Question 2: Is there a German link to scoliosis? I've met 3 other children in my small town with scoliosis, and they are all of German descent, as well as my daughter. Any thoughts on that?

Question 3: My daughter wears the Boston brace and it keeps ripping her shirts. All of her new school clothes have tiny little holes in them because the brace keeps catching on her shirts. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice?

Thanks!
    Chris

Comment

I don't know that much about gymnastics and scoliosis. I do know that on a ballet forum that I used to read they used to have discussions about the difference in gymnasts and ballerinas, and they used to comment that gymnasts who would try to become ballerinas would have kind of different look to their backs....maybe more kyphotic-looking from their training, and were more prone to stress fractures of the spine during their gymnastics training. Don't know if it would effect your daughter at this age and at her level or not.

http://www.gymnasticsrescue.com/posture.htm

Comment

Chris43
        Interesting thought on the German decent as my son is of german decent. Don't imagine there is anything to it beyond coincidence but wonder what the statistics are on scoliosis and race.

Ramona
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

Originally posted by Chris43 View Post

Question 2: Is there a German link to scoliosis? I've met 3 other children in my small town with scoliosis, and they are all of German descent, as well as my daughter. Any thoughts on that?

Chris
          Interesting. My daughter's great-grandfather came to the USA directly from Germany in-between WWI and WWII.
          Mother to 14 yo Cheyenne. Surgery 8/23/10 Shriners, SLC.

Comment

German Link?

Griffyndor-Wow! My daughter's great grandfather came to the US from Germany at about the same time! Interesting!!! We think my daughter's scoliosis came from this side of our family because my dad (Erin's grandfather) had minor scoliosis at age 9-no brace-no surgery.

How is your daughter doing now? I hope things are well. I really have been thinking about you and praying for a great recovery. I've been trying to follow your thread. It gave me alot of insight into the whole surgery. I still hope we don't have to go that route, but it's nice to hear about how the kids deal with the situation. You must be exhausted.I hope all is well.

I'm interested to see how many others have that German link. Maybe it's nothing-just a coincidence. We'll just have to wait and see if more people respond. Maybe Linda Racine knows!

Chris

Comment

I've heard Europeans as a whole have a high rate of scoliosis...I have no idea if that is true or not. I think I remember hearing the Irish had a higher incidence also.

If Germans have even a higher rate, my daughter didn't stand a chance. German and Swedish on my side, German and Irish on her dad's side. And I think Swedes are just Germans who moved north.

I think you're going to have a really tough time finding any info on that though. The US has a very high percentage of citizens of German descent in its population.

Comment

Lol. Hubby's side of the family is German & Ukrainian. Mine is British & Irish.

Comment

1 more question

Hi Gryffindor,
                  Great pictures on your thread. Your daughter is adorable. She looks so petite. This leads to my next question. Does anyone have, or know of, a heavier set girl/boy diagnosed with scoliosis? Every child I have seen (including my own daughter) has either been tall and thin, or tiny and peite. I have always thought to myself how this brace would be much worse for a heavier child to wear. I was thankful that my daughter was so tiny. That got me thinking. Every x-ray on this forum seems to be of thin girls/boys too. Is that part of the genetics of this? Does anyone know? I haven't spent much time on the research threads. I guess I should try that next.

Ballet Mom: Thanks for that link. I hope I can talk my daughter out of the gymnastics. I'd like her to stick with the dance only!!! Also, interesting point about the Irish. That's on my dad's side too. Maybe it's the Irish/German combination. Who knows...Could be anything. I guess I'm just so curious about the whole thing now. Thanks for responding!

Chris

Comment

Chris43: I asked the hospital staff this exact same question while we were there. They said they had recently done a fusion on a girl that was 300 lbs.

But, I agree with your assessment as the majority of the people posting here, and photos around the internet, all seem to show thin girls and boys.

Comment

Part of the difference is because it's apparently much more difficult to detect scoliosis on overweight kids until it's much more pronounced.

It would certainly be much more difficult to wear a brace, especially successfully.

Comment

Tall and thin link to scoliosis?

Had to chime in. Our daughter's orthotist (last year, before her fusion, obviously) said he sees a lot of tall and lean kids. I thought that was interesting and certainly describes her to a T.

Also, my husband's family is from Germany! Other than the fact I don't care much for German food, is there now another reason to be less than enthusastic about this lineage? Hmmm . . .
                        Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

Working...
                        X