Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facet Joint Injections, Rhizotomies, Finally Surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacque's Mom View Post
    Jess, it is my understanding that if you get any relief whether a week or a month, that indicates that area is the problem. It's a diagnosis. I would imagine that is what Val was saying. My first one lasted two months. The three facet joint injections also was a diagnosis, that's why I had the rhizotomy.

Hi girls, and thankyou Jacque's Mom, this is what i meant. I had three facet joint injections for pain relief at L4/5-L5/S1. My first one lasted for 9 months, the second - 6 months and the last, gave me only about three months. This for me indicated that those levels were definitely the problem, and as it turns out, I had both A and P fusion at those levels. If i did not have scoliosis, a rhizotomy would be all that would have been required to stop my pain. My SIL's father does not have scoliosis and this is why the rhizotomy has cured him of his pain. Sorry if i confused you Jess.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

that's OK, Vali..thanks for writing back...i am just wondering, though...i have other things going on besides scoli, as i guess many who have surgery do..listhesis, stenosis, degenerated discs, arthritis, hypokyphosis, etc...so how many kinds of injections do i need to figure out what will help what/where...?

jess

Comment

...so how many kinds of injections do i need to figure out what will help what/where...?

jess[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I don't know that i can answer that one Jess. What i can tell you though, is that, when i first started having the strong pain, i was initially ordered nerve root blocks from L2/3 - L4/5. I felt some kind of relief (not great) but it was back after 8 days with a vengeance. Dr P then sent me to a Neurosurgeon. This guy ordered me the facet joint injections at just L4/5-L5/S1 and these really worked for me. At this level i had herniated and ddd. Goodness, that seems like a long time ago!
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

hi Vali
          wow..a lot to deal with at a relatively younger age for all the pain and stuff!

i was only partly joking about how many injections...i've had so many pain management treatments, that i already know where it is going...i just haven't...decided to take it there...yet...

thanks for the reply...be well.....
          jess

Comment

Surgery and Methadone weaning...

I had an appt. on Thursday with Dr. Boachie. The main reason was for him to re-evaluate my neck as once the lower back starts acting up, my shoulders and neck start in as well (the Rizotomy I had 7/23 only lasted three weeks - quite disappointing. He is sure it's referred pain, and neck spacing looks fine, a little thin but appropriate for my age. I felt good about that but then he said I must be totally weaned off the Methadone before surgery which is 12/7. This scares the heck out of me as I have experienced full-blown withdrawal eight years ago when I was at the emergency room and they removed the Duragesic Patch but didn't give me anything in it's place, (in error) - no one should go through full-blown withdrawal, it's horrendous. The only good thing was I met my wonderful pain mgmt doctor that I am still with today. I am on 20 mg./day, which isn't a large dose (was at one time on 30 mg.) but it's been in my system for 8 years. I have complete faith my doctor will advise me the right way, but I'm still so nervous that I don't think I slept eight hours total this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has been weaned off Methadone (or anything similar) prior to surgery. If so, how did it go? As I said, my pain mgmt dr. is amazing and I have full faith in him, but would feel better if I heard how someone "detoxed" as I don't see my dr. until end of September - of course I will not try doing it on my own. As always, thanks! LYNN
            Last edited by Jacque's Mom; 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM.
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I have weaned myself off Methadone once but the pain was so bad I had to go back up to it again. Now, except for the pain I was OK. Back to normal and I was so proud of myself. I took myself off 60mgs a day down to nil by taking a quarter of a tablet less weekly., That was how I got off it, but I am now back to 45mgs a day. Back on it as the pain was just too bad.

I really do not like being on it believe me absolutely despise the stuff, but I am afraid I had no choice. I cannot imagine, oh my goodness, what you must have gone through taken straight off it, I am sitting here absolutely horrified. But you will be able to get off it slowly though so please do not get upset or panic, as long as you and your doctor are constantly in touch, so glad you have a good relationship with your doctor too.
              Personally I have had to accept being on it now and just get on with things. I have a lot of break through pain though, a lot of it, so probably it should be increased, but no way is that going to happen, I have told my doctor as well. He is truly wonderful and listens to me so I am very lucky.

You should be OK Lynn, I was on it for as long as you when I got off it, so please don't worry.

All the best
              Lorraine.,
              Last edited by Lorraine 1966; 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM.
              Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
              Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

SIX MONTH FOLLOW UP and MEDS

I had my six month follow up with Dr. Boachie on June 9th. Everything is going well, the fusion looks great and my next appointment is in December. I'm almost off the Methadone....down to .5 mgs. every other day. I should be completely off of it by end of the summer. I'm weaning very slow as the withdrawal symptoms aren't fun. When I had my surgery I was up to 40 mgs/day, so I'm almost at the end after 8-1/2 years being on it. I'm not on any other pain meds which is something I never thought was possible. For those heading into surgery, there is hope. I wish you all the best. Lynn
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                X