Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 85 of 85

Thread: Get a load of this...

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by debbei View Post
    I know you won't, but I wish you'd just give it up. You must be really bored.

    Ok that's it, I'm done with this thread because I have better things to do with my time.

    If you are bored - I suggest you quit posting.
    Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning: we're idiots 'cause we can't figure out what's causing it (TV Dr. House, MD)

    I'm not weird ... I'm simply - multifactorial

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by hdugger View Post
    A few comments, from someone who's worked in the online community field for awhile and had to field almost constant threats of defamation charges.

    Libel has to do with an accusation of behavior and not an impression. So, so-and-so is an idiot is not libel, but so-and-so is such an idiot that they put their cat in the microwave might be.

    Libel also has to be a known falsehood. So, if you claim that they put the cat in the microwave, but you know they didn't, that's libel. If you really believe it, it's not. Again, this part doesn't really apply because all of the comments were about personal impressions and not about charges of behavior.

    However, *none* of this matters when you're dealing with people in other countries, and it may not even matter in forums which are read worldwide. We were constantly having to take things down because a Canadian member, relying on Canadian law, found something to be libelous which we in the US did not.

    So, it's not libelous as I understand American law, it's just unpleasant. Once you reach beyond American borders, though - beats me.
    Yes it is all quite interesting. Now in the case where a well known physician is called a pervert (as has been done in this thread, and such comments even encouraged by the moderator of the forum) - I wonder if a really good lawyer could do something with that ... as such gossip may tend to effect the practice. Boy, I know if I were the physician in this case, I'd have my attorney making a few calls.
    Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning: we're idiots 'cause we can't figure out what's causing it (TV Dr. House, MD)

    I'm not weird ... I'm simply - multifactorial

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by mamamax View Post
    Boy, I know if I were the physician in this case, I'd have my attorney making a few calls.
    Boy, I know if I were the parent of one of the girls in these perverted videos, I'd have my attorney making a few calls!
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

    Nathan's VBS Video

    www.vertebralstapling.com

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by nate03 View Post
    Boy, I know if I were the parent of one of the girls in these perverted videos, I'd have my attorney making a few calls!
    Nate, I think your attorney would tell you that you would need more evidence ;-)

    Some here have said they would not leave their child alone with said doctor. I ask - you leave your children alone with any doctor? I never left my daughter alone with any doctor throughout her entire childhood. I can't imagine that any parent would. Maybe I am overprotective.

    Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning: we're idiots 'cause we can't figure out what's causing it (TV Dr. House, MD)

    I'm not weird ... I'm simply - multifactorial

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    near Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,260

    what the heck -- my two cents

    I'll concede that Dr. Weiss is probably not a pervert, but I DO expect physicians to be dignified and to possess some class. Classy, this guy ain't.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    I'll concede that Dr. Weiss is probably not a pervert, but I DO expect physicians to be dignified and to possess some class. Classy, this guy ain't.
    Thanks Singer - I agree. As to "class" however - I cannot comment on someone I have never met. I do think the videos are innocent, especially so after the Schroth-mom's comment in the other thread, which favorably speaks of 3 years experience with the man.

    As for things our children should not be watching ... one day in front of the television set could be quite revealing. The shows our children watch, the commercials, the video games they play - may all be far more "damaging" than a few innocent (albeit momentarily misunderstood) motivational bracing videos/techniques. Just saying ....
    Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning: we're idiots 'cause we can't figure out what's causing it (TV Dr. House, MD)

    I'm not weird ... I'm simply - multifactorial

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    near Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,260
    It's all about context. I know what to expect from TV, the internet, video games, etc. I don't find the video in question damaging -- I find it surprising and off-putting, which colors my general opinion of the man.

    In my opinion, he's just not using the internet wisely.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    It's all about context. I know what to expect from TV, the internet, video games, etc. I don't find the video in question damaging -- I find it surprising and off-putting, which colors my general opinion of the man.

    In my opinion, he's just not using the internet wisely.
    I agree that the videos are surprising. And a bit more innovative than most have come to expect, and I feel it is most unfortunate that this would color opinions to the extent that the method would be ignored - though I concede as to how this could happen when little else is known about The Best Practice Method.

    If the parents of the good doctor however - find no great grievous fault in said videos, in light of the method which brings satisfactory rehabilitation .... then, I want to know more about the method. For example, I would very much like to see a lecture given (via Youtube) about the Best Practice method. Hopefully one day, this will be available.

    As for what we have come to expect from the media in general, as a sidebar, I do find the media to which we have become accustomed, quite damaging to young minds. And yes, I am over protective - my daughter did not watch television unsupervised during her childhood - as an adult, she refuses to subscribe to cable TV due to the offensive programming (and no she is no prude). She makes her mommy proud :-)
    Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning: we're idiots 'cause we can't figure out what's causing it (TV Dr. House, MD)

    I'm not weird ... I'm simply - multifactorial

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by mamamax View Post
    Yes it is all quite interesting. Now in the case where a well known physician is called a pervert (as has been done in this thread, and such comments even encouraged by the moderator of the forum) - I wonder if a really good lawyer could do something with that ... as such gossip may tend to effect the practice.
    No, I wouldn't think so, since what was being commented on was public behavior and noone was alleging knowledge of any behavior other than that which was visible to all of us. Likewise, I don't think anyone on the forum could sue you for calling forum members psychotic. And, according to German law, apparently, not for calling forum members flying monkeys either, unless they're found to exist.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by hdugger View Post
    No, I wouldn't think so, since what was being commented on was public behavior and noone was alleging knowledge of any behavior other than that which was visible to all of us. Likewise, I don't think anyone on the forum could sue you for calling forum members psychotic. And, according to German law, apparently, not for calling forum members flying monkeys either, unless they're found to exist.
    haha - yes, Flying Monkeys (not specifically identified) ... I was mindful of the legalities of that. I'm not so convinced though about specifically calling a well known medical professional a pervert - which was done, and encouraged - resulting in more unkind comments. Too bad we do not have some seriously high profile attorneys available to comment ... the discussion could go on for eternity. And for the record I did not call any single forum member psychotic ... but the term did fit, and was used in reference to - several conversations - generally speaking .. big difference in my opinion. As for Flying Monkeys, I'm sure that in some circles - even I may be considered one :-)
    Last edited by mamamax; 07-31-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning: we're idiots 'cause we can't figure out what's causing it (TV Dr. House, MD)

    I'm not weird ... I'm simply - multifactorial

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •