No announcement yet.

Why not brace after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They keep calling all the time, and I sometimes run out of room, due to limited space...

Ive aged a little. LOL
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, you're too funny. You really do make this forum, eh em... entertaining!

Thanks for the smiles!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi...

If you want to wear a brace 24/7, I suspect that could be arranged. ;-)

I can tell you that after surgery, your nighttime movements will be far less active than they are now. Everything changes. I can't remember ever hearing that someone's movements during sleep caused a problem with the implants.

Many surgeons have stopped bracing because they feel it causes atrophy to the core muscles. The newer implant systems are so secure in the hands of a really skilled surgeon that the amount of movement to dislodge anything is beyond what a normal postop patient would even attempt. Also, some of these surgeons are using a brace for just a few months,

I think it's really rare that a surgeon tells a patient to wear a brace 24/7.

Regards,
        Linda
        I wore a brace 24/7 after my revision surgery for about 3 months , yes even while sleeping! I got used to it after awhile...I think the reason was because my surgery was so complicated, and I had a hx of an area of non-healing from the first surgery. It did help with pain control too.
        Amanda, Linda is right, your sleep movements after surgery slow down. I padded myself with so many pillows, there is no way I could really move much! A bed rail is really unecessary...don't buy stuff you don't need.
        Ed...I'm upset I didn't get a cool brace like yours!
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thanks.

I have a very fast laptop, but working off an air-card. In order for me to respond quickly on a roll, I cannot make any mistakes!

I also have a million icons on my desktop, which is insane. You guys are lucky Im not posting engineering specifications. At work, the computers are lightning fast, but Im not there today, and dont usually post from work if Im busy.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,
            Loved the tinman picture! I cracked up and then went one to see the next picture where you house the women of your life. I'm so glad this forum has people that have a sense of humor!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
              Amanda, Linda is right, your sleep movements after surgery slow down.
              My God, even my SLEEP movements are going to be slow? Egad!! Is that because pain wakes us up subliminally and we stop rustling around? No kidding. What's the mechanism?
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Amanda,

I'm guessing it's a combo of pain and the effects of narcotics (rather than exposure to rhBMP).
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

For those of you who have had surgery + a post-surgical brace as well as wearing a brace as a teenager, does it feel kind of like the teen-age brace?

FWIW, I have had 2 docs recommend full-time bracing post-surgery for me and one (Bridwell) saying it's not necessary. Dr. Gupta in Chicago said he prefers to brace long fusions even though "it is a bit old-fashioned." So, I guess the surgeons are just deciding whether it's more important to give every possible protection to the fusion or to preserve the muscles from atrophying. (Mine did atrophy with the adolescent brace, so I know what that's about. It's not a totally bad thing--I had the smallest waist back then because it was literally skin and bone. Hmmm, maybe I'll ask for that brace again! )

Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                    For those of you who have had surgery + a post-surgical brace as well as wearing a brace as a teenager, does it feel kind of like the teen-age brace?

It's not a totally bad thing--I had the smallest waist back then because it was literally skin and bone. Hmmm, maybe I'll ask for that brace again! )
                    NON small waists are that way because of an excess of muscles? I think NOT.

Never mind. I think I know what you mean. Recently was examining some gravures of corseted females from way back when. Talk about hideous spinal (and breathing and other) problems induced from wrongly managed postural problems! We have it easy today. No wonder middle and upper class women then had a much shorter lifespan than working class. Giving birth was like forcing the baby through a funnel!
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Ed your so funny you make me laugh
                      Kara
                      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                      T4-L2
                      Before 50T
                      After 20T

Comment

I'm having surgery with Dr Bridwell Aug 31 from T3 or T4 to my sacrum. He said that I won't need a brace. As Linda said in her comments the new hardware they use is very secure apparently. I'm just glad I won't have to wear one.
                        Age 56
                        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                        Thoracic 68
                        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                        Dr Bridwell St Louis
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Ed-- after seeing the pic of your little place... I'm kinda glad it didn't work out for you to stop by that time you were out this way for a wedding. You might have felt uncomfortable at my house by comparison... http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/4...56bc88.jpg?v=0 BTW-- Is your last name Hearst? (not that I would recognize that place...) Of course, you know it would have been fun to get together and chat if that had worked out. Hey, do you remember seeing the pics of Ginger's brother's place, in her blog??? When she hosted Dr. Boachie for breakfast that one time? Pretty classy! Take care, mon ami!
                          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM. Reason: changed a little wording...
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
                            I'm having surgery with Dr Bridwell Aug 31 from T3 or T4 to my sacrum. He said that I won't need a brace. As Linda said in her comments the new hardware they use is very secure apparently. I'm just glad I won't have to wear one.
                            Lisa-- that's great. I'd be willing to bet you are fairly young too, with a good strong spine, even if it's scoliotic. You'll be that much ahead of some of us, so that's great. I bet you're anxious to get your surgery over with and be on the road to recovery! Best wishes!
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks SusieBee, but I'm actually one of the more mature girls. I just turned 56 in June. I probably need to add that to my signature. And I have to start on Forteo because actually my spine bone density isn't so good even though the my hip and wrist/forearm are normal. Dr B doesn't seem to think that's an issue as long as I go on Forteo and stay on it for the 2 year time period. So I'm working on getting that set up. But at this point they are still saying no brace. We'll wait to see what happens in surgery.
                              Age 56
                              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                              Thoracic 68
                              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                              Dr Bridwell St Louis
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

I'm another "mature" girl and will be 60 when I have the surgery. Dr. Lenke's office has said I probably won't need a brace, so it must not be based on age. I will also have a long fusion, so that must not be a major factor either. That's fine with me as long as I don't make a wrong move getting out of bed or forgetting when doing something and accidentally twist or bend . . .. Apparently the pain helps remind you not to make those moves! Not looking forward to the pain, but it's to be expected. I started this post and I appreciate the answers. It just seems weird that some surgeons currently require braces post surgery while others don't recommmend it at all.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X