Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Despair To Euphoria!

Hello Friends!!
    My husband and I went to Reno to see Dr Menmuir today. I was basically going through the motions and resigned to some bad news as Dr Fry of Carson City, my previous surgeon, had told me that my revision surgery would involve removing all the old hardware, a new incision through my chest, and after all that might not prevent my neck from falling forward in the future. He said if I were his wife, he would advise me against it. I was completely disheartened and resigned to living my life with my ever increasing kyphosis, and my inability to stand upright and walk without some sort of support. Also, when I had my x-ray a couple weeks back, there was a lung nodule discovered, and the radiologist recommended a follow-up CT scan to rule out anything sinister. I've been very low. Well, I had the CT scan yesterday, and TODAY my primary Dr called to say it was nothing!! Hooray! This made my day and I left for my appt with Menmuir a bit more upbeat.
    After waiting 20 or more minutes in the 8X12 space waiting for the appearance of the good Dr M, Mark and I were getting a bit perturbed. Not an auspicious start. Just when we were about to start opening cabinets and spilling q-tips all over the floor like in the commercial, in walks the GORGEOUS Dr M! Nevermind that he looks all of 25 years old. As much as I'm amusing myself with my own witty reparte, I'll cut to the chase.
    HE WAS AMAZING!!!
    Soft spoken, unhurried (what a concept!) and thorough, thorough, thorough.
    I'm always ready for a fight when I go to the doc's office. I know I have to make my case concisely, or whoosh! He/She will be gone and I've blown my chance. This wonderful man asked many questions. He touched my body here, there, and asked if this or that hurt, and checked all my reflexes himself, not relegating that task to his nurse or assistant. He NEVER berated Dr Fry's method, but simply said he would do this or that instead. I asked if I would be a good candidate for this surgery in his opinion, and he said that that is up to me and whether or not I felt as though I was a good candidate. He would present his procedure, answer any and all questions, and warned that this surgery indeed had all the other dangers of any surgery; infection, paralysis, etc., but that he would only go through posteriorly, I'd stay in the hosp for about 3 days, and he wouldn't have to remove the old hardware at all, just the top screw which had slipped and no longer was anchoring anything. He said mine was a relatively simple procedure. My hubby and I both had quite a few questions and he answered them all patiently and calmly. I have NEVER had such a wonderful experience with my previous surgeon. This wonderful man looked my straight in the eye when he was talking TO me (not DOWN to me) and slowly considered my xrays, and explained EVERYTHING he saw and what his take on it all was. He said there was in fact a possible danger in doing nothing as the kyphosis can impinge on the spinal nerves and cause problems as well. He acknowledged that no one knows when, or if it may occur, but that it is a real possibility. I finally said "So I could actually walk upright again without a cane or hand or cart or.."and he nodded yes. I said "oh, I think I'm going to cry now.." And I did. But not for long. We left the office stunned and amazed. We went for lunch and I had to have a beer to touch back down to earth. We discussed the visit and I shed a few more tears here and there sadly reflecting on the possibly unnecessary pain I've felt for the last 5 years, the new life that might await me, and how I would have never even known about this man if it were not for this great forum and Ed aka Titaniumed. I am so grateful tonight. For all of you and the internet and the "marvels of modern science." I'm also trying to figure out why my ex-doc Fry was so dis-interested, afraid, or whatever to take on this surgery. Mark tells me to just let it go, and I think that's best. I'll just have to be content that I lived through the first one relatively unscathed, and can look forward to a better future with the new hope provided to me by Dr Menmuir.
    Ever So Sincerely,
    Sharon
    Singing the Blues
    Female 1951
    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

That was the most exciting post I've read in a long while. What wonderful news, and what a turnaround in fortunes. Entertain us with your witty reparte as much as you want Sharon!

When are you thinking of having the surgery?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks, Jennifer

I am planning on "goin' in" in October...as a b-day gift to myself?? Why not!

I'd go TOMORROW but of course hubby has a few trips planned, (he's an avid motorcyclist) and one even includes me (!) AND my beloved garden needs me right now. I am not a fan of winter, so October offers some lovely days where I might still hobble about without the threat of falling on my keester, and then I can settle in for the winter and convalesce without feeling guilty about not watering this and dead-heading that. By next spring I should be good to go out and conquer the universe with my new height and sultry swagger! Hey, I can dream can't I??

La la la..
      Sharon
      Singing the Blues
      Female 1951
      A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.

Comment

Sounds great Sharon.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

So glad you found Dr M. I was in pain for many years, before finding someone who told me "you're back can be fixed, it's a very complicated surgery, but it can be done". I remember the feeling my husband and I had when we left his office. I'm now 8 weeks post op and already so happy I did it.

Keep us posted.

Glenda
          Glenda
          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
          Pleased with outcome

Comment

What wonderful news, Sharon! I'm dancing a jig for you, sweetie! (Well, in my mind, anyway!) I think your other doctor just didn't have the experience/knowledge to deal with the problem he created, and didn't realize what to do (send you on to someone who could help). It's great that you got out and went to see Dr. M! I just knew there had to be hope there somehow and you shouldn't have to spend the rest of your days/years as you have been doing... I'll be doing a little celebrating here for you-- I'm SO excited!!! It's been a long time coming! Hugs, Susie
            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-17-2010, 02:57 PM.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

This is wonderful, wonderful news!! What a far cry from your first post on revision, where you were only just acknowledging your pain and disappointment.

I'm guessing as I wrote earlier that the previous surgeon who said he'd do nothing "if you were his wife" - said that sincerely, based on his knowledge and experience base. Meaning, you or his wife would do well not to have HIM work on you!

I think it is too bad (and kind of strange too) when a doctor extrapolates his abilities to the whole universe of surgeons. Do they really not know that problems outside their skills, ARE able to be dealt with by another surgeon? One who - knows and can do more?

Great to hear this! And if there's one surgeon we have confidence in thanks to TIt.-Ed, it's Dr. Menmuir!
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Sharon

Glad to hear that you like him.

I'm also glad that he feels confident that he can fix you and says it’s a simple procedure..... No scoli surgery is simple, and complications can occur, but he did one heck of a job on me. He told me that I was a 10, on a 1-10 scale, so I took my time making my decision... 2.5 years. I covered many questions with him, and was quite an interview process over many visits.

After going through your initial scoliosis surgery, and having this sagittal imbalance forward lean issue happen, it seems that it really is worth a try to get this fixed especially if he thinks its relatively simple. It looks as if "selection of levels" was the main problem and you just need to get the job completed or finished.... Selecting levels is tricky.....You see what can happen when going too short.

If you have any questions, just e-mail Nicole, his assistant. If you do not have her e-mail, I will give it to you.

Please remember something. I'm the one that’s gorgeous. LOL He's the genius. So is Dr Rembetski, my vascular surgeon. Both of these surgeons deserve extremely high marks in my book....
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You made me cry too!

Sharon,
                  Your story is so similar to mine and upon reading about your visit with Dr M, I felt your relief and validation that you got from him. I cried too! If there is nothing else I have learned on this forum, and my own experience, that is to get more than one opinion. You are so young, and you don't have to live this way. I too had a surgeon that did not even acknowledge my problem, and it bothered me for a long time but I've since just had to let it go and focus my emotions on my admiration for my new surgeon!!! I so hope your surgery is successful and soon you will be walking upright and arrow straight!!!
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hey Sharon-- you're gonna have to change your signature come October... better be thinking about that!
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Sharon,
                      I can't tell you how happy I was to read about your new surgeon and a bright future for you with the new surgery. Dr. M. is what we all want in a surgeon. Obviously, we have many questions and appreciate thoroughness from the surgeon. Aren't you glad you got another opinion?
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Sharon,
                        I have been away from the forum for a few weeks due to moving, so I don't remember you situation. I am so happy for you that you have found a surgeon that you like and trust and has given you hope. I felt the same way when I met Dr. Rand. I could easily have posted your thread. Isn't it wonderful to be treated like a human being rather that a "case"?
                        Take care. Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          Sharon,
                          I could easily have posted your thread. Isn't it wonderful to be treated like a human being rather that a "case"?
                          Take care. Sally
                          That is EXACTLY the difference!

And the question is, what difference in medical outcome result from one approach to the other?

I believe that the surgeon can't get enough needed information (the "Big Picture") if they DON'T listen and attend. Both of which can only occur when s/he cares.

That goes for every stage of surgical planning. Who can avoid projecting to the "after surgery" scenario and what happens between the patient and doctor, if everything doesn't go picture perfect? (And when do they in this surgery?)

If they don't care before we commit, who (sane) can expect them to care afterward? Yet how can we commit in good faith, as things stand, with most surgeons' brusque "take a number" attitude?

Even many caring docs - that is, ones known for "bedside manner" and humanity - often seem to turn off when things go wrong. On- line reviews with all their limits, have revealed some nasty undersides to a few surgeons to me. I guess fixing things when they're broken, is just not as rewarding as a virgin presentation!

The patient is not the only one who can fall into denial, but in both situations, it's the patient whose life is at stake.

Very frightening situation. I feel sure if our system of medical reimbursement were different (with MDs being salaried), the incentives and motivations of practitioners would self-adjust to what they ought to be. Old fashioned dedication to patient care. Care of a patient where the patient is a real person (and, OK, where the doctor is a physician in the best sense - not a "provider").

Right now there is a self-selection of professionals according to the doctor-as-entrepreneur model which is not in the patients' best interest. And getting worse!
                          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Sharon, what great news! TiEd suggested Dr. M to me, too. I live very far away and I'm not sure what my insurance would say... I found, I hope, a good doctor. We'll see. I wish you all the best success in your revision surgery in October!
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

The Up Side Of Scoliosis

And of course, that's all of you.
                              Susie B, you've been there with me since waaay back, and I love you for it. Ed, well you know how I feel about you. Amanda, you are so smart and discerning. I hope you find your "Dr in Shining Armor" soon. If anyone can, It would be YOU!!! Jess and Jennifer always have some nice things to say, as do those of you who just check in and feel the need to make my day just a bit brighter. Oh Glenda, I AM SO GLAD FOR YOU!!! 8 weeks out and feeling like you are better already!! Naptown, your posts made ME cry! I can so relate, and you gave me hope that my case could have a positive outcome as yours seemed so similar to mine. Karen & Sally, bless you and your kind words. You all humble me. I consider myself a caring, compassionate person, but don't know if I can reach out to so many people I hardly know as you all do, even as you struggle with your own demons. As for Dr Fry, my original surgeon, he will remain an enigma. He came highly regarded, and no one scoffed at his suggestion. I did get other opinions. He has extensive experience, and to his credit, I didn't die or become paralyzed. His docket is always full. Maybe he is getting burned out. I will try not to entertain thoughts about what happened/is happening in his life/career right now, because if he's trying to sell CRAZY, I'm all stocked up here! I'm movin' on, and looking forward. I will keep you posted as to how it all goes. I am beyond hopeful and grateful for the chance to live a somewhat normal life. As a "cougar" chick (in today's terminology about "older" women with younger men) I want to be able to keep up with my hubby who loves the outdoors and hiking, biking, etc. Of course HE has to try to keep up with my singing, dancing and rapier wit, so good luck with that, mister!!
                              Last edited by Sharon C; 07-19-2010, 02:24 AM.
                              Singing the Blues
                              Female 1951

Comment

Working...
                              X