Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resurfacing from move to NC

Hello all,

We have been in North Carolina for two weeks now and finally have phone and internet service. The weather has been very hot since we have been here, but my body actually feels better. My nerve pain seem to be somewhat improved but it may be because the atmospheric pressure has been very steady, right around 31.1 for two weeks. Actually, I am hoping that my minor tuneup is responsible for the fact that I have less pain. A few months ago, I doubt that I would have been up to the demands of moving, what with unpacking and moving heavy boxes around trying to find the things needed to maintain a household.

I hope everyone who has had surgery in the last month or two is recovering nicely. I've missed you all, but you have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Sally

Its nice to hear that you survived the move. That’s probably worse than revision surgery. LOL

I hope that the North Carolina weather is good to you. It will be interesting to see if, or what effect, that will have on your pain levels.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Can't believe you pulled this off, Sally! Moving is counted by most US-ians as almost as dreaded as death. Just a little below (are you ready?) Public Speaking!

Just one of those little known survey results. 'Course they didn't give scoliosis surgery as an option! (haha, Ed )

Congrats for you and it's great to have you back. You add so much! You chose well for a retirement home. The Boston Area is great, but those Winters ARE cold and slippery. Hopefully, you're near the Medical Centers at Duke and UCNC.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Welcome back Sally. Good to hear the move is done with and you're feeling better.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good to hear you're getting settled in. Can't imagine packing and unpacking all those boxes and your pain still feels better. That's great. Hope you enjoy your new home.

Glenda
          Glenda
          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
          Pleased with outcome

Comment

It's always great to hear from Sally Skates! You are a joy. Just take it easy with the unpacking-- and remember the tortoise: slow and steady wins the race. Since this is your temporary home till your other one is built (is that how it is?) is there any chance of leaving some things boxed up? I hate the thought of moving! You are a brave, brave, woman! Can't believe you pulled it off so quickly after your surgery! Enjoy your new environment and weather down there-- I'm sure you'll notice the difference SO MUCH this winter!!! Hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Ed, Amanda, Jennifer, Glenda and Susie,
              We are about 100 miles east of Duke, but have a hospital here in town with many Doctors trained at Duke. In dire emergencies, I believe the Navy or the Marines take patients by helicopter to Duke Medical Center. They don't take Medicare Advantage plans here in our County, so we had to go with much more expensive supplemental BC/BS insurance, but there shouldn't be any out of pocket costs, so it will probably be a wash.
              Susie, we have only unpacked what we need to camp out for 6 months or so.
              Amanda, you cracked me up. I would have died if I had to do public speaking (I used to pray for a snowstorm to cancel my public speaking class in college), but after scoliosis surgery and moving, I think I could do just about anything.
              Take care all, Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Go, Sally! Wishing you many years of happiness in your new home -- and a pain-free body, of course !
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Wow--you've been busy! Congratulations, Sally, on your new home! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                  X